Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Multi-tool wanted

AikiDale

I am interested in finding the ultimate RO stage maintaining multi-tool. It should have implements to remove staples, cut heads off targets, and have a saw blade that can make short work of target stand 1x2s and 2x4s. It would be great if the pliers could handle steel cables for activators as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a Kershaw that might fit your bill. It has needle nose vise grips, a saw, a big file, screwdrivers and of course the all important bottle opener. It also has a wickedly sharp one hand opening knife blade that is acessible without opening the rest of the tool. Check it out here.

-ld

ps - Oh, and here is a pic.

a100.jpg

Check out the Leatherman Wave. I use mine everyday in the HVAC service industry. I like how the outside edges of the plier handles are rounded, so you can really clamp down without the intense feeling of pain of sharp edges digging into your hand.

Ray

Sixgun is right. The Leatherman Wave is the stuff. I use mine everyday from taking apart computers, to fixing my lawnmower, and yes on the range. Handle one and you will see why a lot of people swear by it.

Vlad

I like the Leatherman SuperTool a lot more than the Wave. I don't use my multitool for a knife (much), so the one-handed opening of Wave doesn't make any difference to me.

Gerber has so many models of their Multipliers now that it's almost impossible to make a decision. They probably have at least one that would fit your needs nicely, Dale.

The best quality multitool on the market is probably the Victorinox, but it's spendy.

If you head to your local Target (pronounced Tar-zhay by elite Francophile shoppers), they have unannounced mega-sales on mult-tools. I bought an Urban Legend (an abbreviated Legend) for all of $30. The full-boat Legend probably has all the features you're looking for.

Having been deployed to interesting places, I've found that the Leatherman Supertool is da schznit (darn Pimp Name thread :P ). I've used one of mine to build a gazebo out of 2 by 4's (had to use a flat rock for a hammer, but the saw and screwdriver let me cut the lumber and use drywall screws to hold it together).

The Wave is tolorable, but the blades don't lock and it is a bit thicker than the Super.

The Gerbers are too brittle...the blades can and will snap with enough lateral stress. Gerbers used to be AF-issue (can you say "low bidder," boys and girls?), and I saw a heap of them with 1/2" broken off the end of the knife blade, sheared screwdrivers... Not worth picking up off the ground, IMO.

I'm no expert, but I have been a knife dealer for almost two decades. I buy whatever cutlery I want, and I have...umm...five Super Leathermen. And one Wave, one standard Leatherman, four Micra...

The SwissTool is cool, but also suffers from over hardening of the tool ends. The SOG are neat, but not stout enough...I've broke the pivots on two of 'em. Gerbers break under what I consider minor stress (the same goes for my beloved Mark II daggers, and I think it is an ongoing steel problem with Gerber). The Chinese knock offs sold under various names are worth exactly what they charge for 'em, or less.

Just my opinion, actual results may vary, not for the other use, keep out of children.

Alex

I've used one of mine to build a gazebo out of 2 by 4's (had to use a flat rock for a hammer, but the saw and screwdriver let me cut the lumber and use drywall screws to hold it together).

You have got to post a picture of this structure! I am not doubting you I just think that is funny as hell. :lol:

-ld

Nothing against the Leatherman products, I carry a mini Leatherman on my keychain, but the Kershaw is every bit as good if not better. You really have to check it out if you haven't already.

-ld

If you want to go for the "Joe Cool" item, the Wave also has that going for it. By that I mean that it is a standard item of many of the Delta boys, according to several articles I have read on what they carry. :ph34r:

Another vote for the Leatherman Wave. I carry mine daily.

I don't really understand that "the blades don't lock" comment. All four blade on the Wave use a Walker type liner lock that positively pops out to lock the blade in place, and must be pushed in before the blade may be closed.

The Wave's INSIDE blades (well, screwdrivers/scissors/can opener) DO NOT LOCK. The four outside blades...blade, serrated blade, saw, and file) lock.

I'm careful around sharp blades. But I really REALLY hate torquing down on a screw and having the screwdriver blade fold over...ouch ouch ouch ouch.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Wave. It is every bit of ninety percent of the SuperTool, and if I only could carry one it would be the Wave due to the easy-access sharp blade feature ;)

However, I carry a SuperTool AND a Benchmade AFAK in uniform. One for cutting, one for tools. Each and every blade of the SuperTool lock.

The gazebo? I'll have to dig around in my Operation Southern Watch pictures and see if I can find some shots of it. Imagine a GP-medium tent with a 6' extension in front of it. My boss...who lived in the same tent...kept the door open so he wouldn't have to stand in the sun/rain/dark (?) when he was chain smoking 451 packs of cigarettes a day. I found (and swiped...errr...borrowed...) a pallet of 2 by 4's and built a framework. Short sides with a railing to sit it, tall enough for the tarp I also...borrowed...to overlap the front of the tent and the top of the gazebo. Made him shut the damn door so his smoke wouldn't annoy me in my video-game-playing rec area in the front quarter of the tent (hey, I'm in the Air Farce...we work HARD on deployment!).

My tent was easy to find, even before I built the gazebo. I painted the "Earth with dagger" logo from the classic Trek episode "Mirror, Mirror" on the door :lol:

Alex

Wakal has me sold on the Leatherman SuperTool 200. After searching the web it looks like the best piece of equipment for the tasks in mind. And I like that it has proven itself in hostile environments. I tend to be real gentle with tools 'cause everytime I'm not they break.