Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge

310yuma

I have never shot this type of match and am going to try it with my 625. I am going over the ammo rule and all it says is that the ammo must be safe and for the appropriate gun . Then in the scoring section it states that the ammo should have a 120 power factor for the stop plate if they use an impact actuated.

So do I have to load to 120 PF or can I use a lower PF?

You don't have to stay at 120 pf, the rules state that if you hit the stop plate and

it doesn't go off you go to the backup sound timer. There may be a a flight time calculation

added to your run.

I use a 100-115 pf 38 super loading that has worked the electonic plates in the past.

I you are shooting a 230 grain bullet from your .45 is it's coming out of the barrel it is going fast enough to set off the timing device. I use to ue 265 grainers and you could see them gong down range. Never had a problem with stop plates.

Good luck. Learn to shoot clean so you don't have to make any reloads. Staying at 6 shots is now problem just pase yoursel so you aren't making useless misses.

From the 2009 revision of the rule book, not sure if this is the latest. "All rounds much travel a minimum 750 FPS. Competitiors whose ammunition does not make minimum velocity will be disqualified will be disqualified from the match(es) where the sub-standard ammunition was used."

Thanks for the replies.I should have waited just a day as last night I received an confirmation e-mail from the 2012 Smith & Wesson US National Steel Championship and it had their 2012 rules. They have no power factor at all and they recommend

shooting slower loads for safety reason as well as for a competitive advantage.

As I really have never shot this type of match I do not know if this just for their match or all Steel Challenge matches

Thanks again

The Steel Challenge rulebook recommends a minimum velocity so that the bullet will fragment when it impacts the plates, instead of staying whole and bouncing back toward the shooter.

That being said, I've never seen them chrono at any match, ever.

I recommend trying to shoot a lighter bullet faster, if you have a choice, especially out of a revolver. I loaded some really soft shooting 38 special a couple of years ago and the slower velocity screwed up my timing. I also had a bear of a time hitting the rear plates on Outer Limits, as I was lobbing the rounds in. So, just know where to hold on each target if you decided to use a slower moving bullet.

Seiichi