Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

first scope

1911vm

I am still trying to make a decision on my first scope. I looked around and could not find this comparison. Is $1700-2000 100% better then a $1000-1300 scope. How does one make decision.

I am new to precision shooting but I am being taught by a knowledgeable person. When I researched scopes I learned that you are paying for glass quality and clarity at the upper end. Once you find the options you are looking for and the reticle you like I would say buy the nicest scope you can afford. I believe in the adage “buy once cry once”. Just be sure to do your research and get what you need not what everyone else thinks you need. Do you want variable or fixed power? What kind of reticle? Be honest with yourself as to what kind of shooting you will be doing what kind of distances. Any of the higher tier brands are goof I.E. Night Force, Leupold, and so on if you want to get crazy you can look at Premier, US Optics, Ziess but that is a different level.

Yes and no but It depends on what optics you are trying to compare.

Like Spartacus said, it is the quality of the glass, tracking ability, turrets, and other things. But what everyone notices is the clarity of the glass. When you get to long, extreme ranges you are going to really see the difference in a cheaper optic compared to a high end.

It is hard to really see the difference in the two price lines of scopes if you are inside a store. Take them outside and look at an object at about 1,000 to 1,500 yards, you will then see the difference.

most of those $2,000 scopes you could count the hairs on a Fly's ass at a 100 yards.

Does one have to spend this kind of money to shoot out to a grand or 1,500 yards? No

The added features of a larger tube, increased magnification, great glass, etc are great to have and make the job a lot easier but they are not necessary.

I did a lot of testing with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x56mm and we did a considerable amount of shooting from 100 yards to 1,500 yards. The scope tracked very well, the turrets had positive clicks, the glass was really good (For the price), and the overall finish of the optic was very pleasing.

The Vortex had a good eye relief and a considerable amount of internal adjustments. The Vortex PST, with all its quality, listed for around $900. Is the Vortex a NightForce? No, but the Vortex will do the job and so will any other optic in its price range.

Edited by The Surgeon

What ranges are you shooting? My go to for a newby to precision rifle would be a Nightforce NXS 5-25x56. I am an MOA guy, so I really like the NPR1 reticle, although I also have the NPR2. You really can not go wrong with this scope, and can recover almost all of your money on the used market if you want to try something else(although I doubt you will).

Optic quality on my U.S. Optics 3.5-25 is superior, but the scope is quite a bit more money, and heavier.

Randy

Everybody tells me buy once cry once , get the best you can, you should spend more on the Glass then the rifle. and the rest of the clichés. To be honest that becomes frustrating. I can wait and save up and get a top of the line S&B for 4K but that means that I will be looking at a built rifle for a year or two. Is it worth doing that?. I have 1500 saved for the glass should I continue saving for a 2k+ glass and not shoot the gun for another 6-12month. Or get something good like leop. Mark4 or something like that for under 1000 and start having fun, learn ,practice, get better then the scope . meanwhile save for something better.

Or get something good like leop. Mark4 or something like that for under 1000 and start having fun, learn ,practice, get better then the scope . meanwhile save for something better.

Do this. "Great glass" is nice but not necessary if you're shooting in daylight. Get something with eye relief that works for you and that tracks well and start shooting.

Edited to add: In other words, pretty much what The Surgeon said. :bow:

Edited by bdpaz

So maybe I should modify my question completely.

What is the best value in a $1000 category for scopes.

My rifle will be back soon from the builder. I cannot wait to see it and to show it off a bit. You guys will be surprised on who the builder is. He is very well known on this forum.

Most important rule when picking out a scope:

Match the optics capabilities to the capabilities of the rifle.

I see so many guns that are capable of so much and have glass on them that hold the rifle back.

Do not short change the weapon with a optic that has no chance of handling the distance that the rifle is.

If you follow this rule, you will be happy.

also...

If you like to deal with MOA's then make sure the turrets are also MOA.

ex: 1/8th inch MOA scope, make sure the turrets are also MOA

If yo like to deal with Mil-Dot scopes, make sure the turrets are in Mils.

Do not get a Mil-Dot scope and it have MOA turrets on it. It will make your math a bit harder.

Most important rule when picking out a scope:

Match the optics capabilities to the capabilities of the rifle.

I see so many guns that are capable of so much and have glass on them that hold the rifle back.

Do not short change the weapon with a optic that has no chance of handling the distance that the rifle is.

If you follow this rule, you will be happy.

I have a feeling that if I use that formula I would need to get $2000+++++ scope.LOL I spoke to one member on this forum who had this builder do a rifle or two for him. It did ½ in with factory match ammo and 3/8 with homemade.

But have been doing a lot of reading on the PST that you spoke about earlier and it seems to be a good first stop. I am going to do some more research but it looks promising. Thank for the heads up.

Edited by 1911vm

Well...

I can tell you what I did.

I am running a 308 Surgeon and I have a NightForce 5.5-22x56 MRAD and it handles the gun very well.

What caliber are you getting into?

You can get into the NF's for around $1,800 - $2,200 new and around $1,300 - $1,500 used.

Well...

I can tell you what I did.

I am running a 308 Surgeon and I have a NightForce 5.5-22x56 MRAD and it handles the gun very well.

What caliber are you getting into?

You can get into the NF's for around $1,800 - $2,200 new and around $1,300 - $1,500 used.

also 308

Start by looking at all the various types and options and figuring out what you want in a scope.

How far and what range? Hunting out to 300 yards or so generally doesn't require more than a 3x9.

Shooting matches where you will need to quickly adjust dope. If so - tactical turrets where you can see the numbers from behind the scope are a must.

Will you need to range targets? If so, you may want a specific recticle.

Depending on your budget there are lots of good options. The SWFA, Nikon Buckmaster, Bushnell Elites, etc make good stuff in the $200-$400 range. Bushnell, Sightron, Vortex, etc make good stuff up to $1k, and NIghtforce, US Optics, S&B, Zeiss, IOR, etc all sit at the top. Luppy makes stuff in every range.

Like buying a gun, you kind of have to figure out what you want and how you will use it and then look at the ones that fit. Better yet, go to the store fondle as many as you can, and look through them. Some have better glass than others. Also don't get caught up in looking for lots of magnification. Cheap scopes get blurry when turned up all the way and lots of us regularly shoot at 500 yards or so at 8-12X.

Back to your other question .... a $2k scope is not necessarily twice as good as a $1k scope but "better" is subjective. I think the glass on my $550 Bushnell Elite is almost as good as my $1700 Nightforce. However, In low light I can clearly see targets with my NF that are not clear enough to shoot with the Bushy and when turning up the magnification for an 800 yard target the target is definitely clearer with the NF. That said, I don't think it's $1200 clearer but after using the NF I couldn't see going to something less on my primary rifle.

Be warned ... once you've looked through really good glass especially in low light at distance you won't want anything cheaper.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Dirty Rod

I would avoid the Viper, the ones I have looked thru appear to be like a fish bowl on the edges, consider a 5-20 Super Sniper HD, glass is on par with my NF, I'm a MRAD kinda guy.

I had forgot about this one. He's right, I would definitely go with the SS over the Vortex. The SS is kind of a sleeper brand. You don't here a lot about them but when you do, it is all positive.

+1 MRAD

Alot depends on what you want to do with your rig. You aren't just paying for glass when you get into the highest level optics. There is also the ruggedness of the scope. S&B and US Optic make scopes with great glass that are built like TANKS. If you are doing tactical matches where you are going to beat your rig up, you should spend the big money and get a scope like one of these. Nightforce has a pretty good reputation as well, so they make a good upper-medium range choice. Don't ignore used scopes either. You can get a used USO ST-10 (fixed 10x) in great shape for around $1000 if you search around for a bit.

If you aren't going to beat on your gear at all, the Nightforce will DEFINITELY work for you as will a Leupy.

One other word on the US Optics...their warranty is amazing. Basically, if says "US Optics" on it, they will fix it. No questions asked.

Then there are questions about ranging and such that will determine if you need first focal plane or second focal plane and what type of reticle you want.

Turret options as well...Once again, USO allows you to seriously customize your scope if you order it new from them.

I would look for a used Vortex or Sightron and keep saving money. You should be able to sell it for close to what you paid and buy a better optic if you choose.

Also, evaluate your need for a

FFP scope. I have a Vortex

4-16. If it is far enough to need to range it will be on 16x. On 4x the reticle is too small to be able to range. I think I would have been better suited with a SFP Vortex and would have save a bit of money. Not saying FFP is worthless, I just think that it's not close to being mandatory.

• 4 months later...

I just got into long range shooting about a month ago and bought a sfp Viper PST 4-16x50. For the money, it's a great scope. The glass is very clear out to 1200yds and it tracks perfectly. This morning we were dialing as fast as we could between targets at 350, 550 and 700 and it was dead on every time.

I'm still very new to this game, but the only thing I'd change on it would be the turrets, I'd like to get 10mils per turn instead of 5. I've also compared it side by side to a Premier and the Premier was definitely better, but I don't think it was 2K better.

• 2 weeks later...

So maybe I should modify my question completely.

What is the best value in a $1000 category for scopes.

My rifle will be back soon from the builder. I cannot wait to see it and to show it off a bit. You guys will be surprised on who the builder is. He is very well known on this forum.

A vote for the Vortex PST here. I have one as well as a few Nightforce scopes and love it. The Nightforce is better but it also costs a lot more. For its price range the Vortex is hard to beat. If you can save up to 1200 however you can always find a used Nightforce NSX minus the zero stop and high speed turrents for around 1200 on Snipershide.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo