Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how do you stop sabotaging yourself?

fastarget

It is like watching what you eat, getting close to the target weight and when you do, you start binge eating.......

In this case, you practice, dry fire, etc. but as a match approaches, you go into "I am too tired to practice" or "I dont have time", find anything else to do but dry fire. It feels like you are keeping a door open to use for an excuse in case your performance in a match is not to your level.

How do you treat this?

I suffer from that all the time. I usually consider that my evil conscious. I battle it with my good conscious and challenge the statement. If you have a side of you that leaves the open door of excuse , develop the other side to close the door when it opens. I say to myself "your opponent is training right now", "Don't expect any improvement if you aren't willing to practice" ... My favorite.. "A champion is training when others are sleeping"....

And when all of those don't help, just put the gear on and practice, sometimes to win the battle all you have to do is put the gear on and take the first step and the laziness goes away. I sabotage myself in the constructive way by leaving my targets up and my gear out so I can't just walk by without messing with it. One thing leads to another.

Edited by Tempered

Glad to hear I am not the only one. Sometimes that is enough to find a solution. What brought that to my attention was the part about getting in shape. I noticed especially last night, that I was close to my target weight, cardio was great etc. so I start finding a reason to eat late "cause I am hungry". At the same time

I was saying "well I am going to eat and waste time so as not to dry fire".

Mind you, I do keep the targets up, and my pants on the chair holster etc.(no gun) in my garage. I enjoy dry firing, it sounds strange , but I do. I just need to do away with the mental part, the apprehension, the need to have an excuse.

If you make your training part of your normal routine, like brushing your teeth in the morning, then there is a lot less of a chance that you will quit doing it. If you make your training something you JUST GET DONE, like most other daily activities you already do then its hard to stop doing it. If you make your training a choice of doing or not doing then there is always the opportunity to make the choice of not doing it.

If you make your training part of your normal routine, like brushing your teeth in the morning, then there is a lot less of a chance that you will quit doing it. If you make your training something you JUST GET DONE, like most other daily activities you already do then its hard to stop doing it. If you make your training a choice of doing or not doing then there is always the opportunity to make the choice of not doing it.

Thanks, I really appreciate that, it shall be done. Had a chat with my shooter wife, she said she is going to make an effort to nudge me if I attempt to hesitate......now to work on the mental part.

You need to flip it around. You read those books and then went to the negative? Changing the way you look at yourself will pull you up. ;) Not raggin on ya, you'll get there.

After reading Steve Anderson's second book, and Bassham's interview, then Basshams's book, it is apparently a "self image" that is holding me back, am I on the right track?

...an excuse in case your performance in a match is not to your level.

How do you treat this?

Not to your level? If you're that concerned about you performance it's definitely gonna mess with your head. I know it does mine. I struggle with this as well. If you can shoot without concern for the outcome then we don't need any excuses. Like that's easy to do :)

One of my all time favorite threads, might help:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=91236

Kevin :cheers:

I think some people loose focus/motivation if they can't actually put live rounds down range of if they think they have to do everything all the time during practice. I can't make it to the range all the time, so when the baby is sleeping, I sneak downstairs and practice sight pictures, draws, transitions and dryfiring. Is it the best? No, but it is something to work on and keep my body mechanics and muscle memory going.

How do you treat this?

Not to your level? If you're that concerned about you performance it's definitely gonna mess with your head. I know it does mine. I struggle with this as well. If you can shoot without concern for the outcome then we don't need any excuses. Like that's easy to do :)

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=91236

yes, not my expectations, but my abilities. I know my capabilities, and prefer that the presence of competitors, or stress of a match have me invent situations to create excuses. So yes, I have stepped up dry firing, I feel that training to build confidence will help with my self image.

Went to an IDPA match sat. I know it will sound funny, but put on plugs and hearing protectors on so as not to hear other peoples times, or negative discussions. Had to fend off some thoughts that were steering the wrong direction. Results were fabulous.

How do you treat this?

http://www.brianenos...showtopic=91236

yes, not my expectations, but my abilities. I know my capabilities, and prefer that the presence of competitors, or stress of a match have me invent situations to create excuses. So yes, I have stepped up dry firing, I feel that training to build confidence will help with my self image.

Went to an IDPA match sat. I know it will sound funny, but put on plugs and hearing protectors on so as not to hear other peoples times, or negative discussions. Had to fend off some thoughts that were steering the wrong direction. Results were fabulous.

That's not funny, that's AWESOME! Nice job. It's not easy to fend off sabotaging thoughts, not easy at all.

Thanks for the link to a real interesting article.......one small part:

Interestingly, these results suggest that although almost everyone has problems with procrastination, those who recognize and admit their weakness are in a better position to utilize available tools for precommitment and by doing so, help themselves overcome it.

Thanks for the link to a real interesting article.......one small part:

Interestingly, these results suggest that although almost everyone has problems with procrastination, those who recognize and admit their weakness are in a better position to utilize available tools for precommitment and by doing so, help themselves overcome it.

Just as we're all hard-wired to think in a very bias fashion, those that are aware of it are likely to be better at critical thinking. I find/found a lot on that site that lead me to a more through study of brain function and psychology which in turn really helped me with my mental game and a MUCH better understanding of thought process in general.

I think all of us worry about our placement and performance. The key is not to worry about how you did until all the shooting is over with.

Right? :blush:

I think all of us worry about our placement and performance. The key is not to worry about how you did until all the shooting is over with.

Right? :blush:

10-4 to that, actually, the best maybe to not worry about it before or after. It is for enjoyment, as long as I had fun pulling the trigger life is good.

At least in theory, will have to try it.

It is like watching what you eat, getting close to the target weight and when you do, you start binge eating.......

In this case, you practice, dry fire, etc. but as a match approaches, you go into "I am too tired to practice" or "I dont have time", find anything else to do but dry fire. It feels like you are keeping a door open to use for an excuse in case your performance in a match is not to your level.

How do you treat this?

Do not allow whatever you care about (your feelings) to influence what you know you should do.

In most cases, what you don't feel like you should do is exactly what you should do.

be

Thanks Brian, yes I have come to the realization, ignoring the distracting thoughts and focusing on the work at hand seems to be a constant in my own mind, however I am also finding that is it not as difficult if I can tune out external stimuli.

Thanks Brian, yes I have come to the realization, ignoring the distracting thoughts and focusing on the work at hand seems to be a constant in my own mind, however I am also finding that is it not as difficult if I can tune out external stimuli.

You know, as I re-read your original post to start the thread it sounds like a self-image problem. Yes I'm a novice at this stuff, but hear me out. You sabotage yourself as you get close to your goal because you don't believe it is "like you" to attain those things, be it a reduced weight, or a certain performance level, etc. This is why you engage in the positive self-talk like directive affirmations, to repeat to yourself enough times that you do really believe it is "like you" to be that good, or that weight, or whatever. You perform how you expect to perform, not how you want to, and if your self-image isn't up to par it will continue to get in your way. Only reinforce the positives in your training and matches, in so doing you convince your self-image it is "like you" to perform at that next level.

Mental gurus please feel free to correct my thinking, as I don't want to lead anyone astray.

• 1 month later...

How do you treat this?

You just have to want it bad enough! If you have to force yourself to practice either one of two things are true: Either you don't want it bad enough or you are overdoing it.

Also, looking solely at your results (match place/points/score etc) is a dead end in itself. You should be able to go out and bomb 4 out of 5 stages but find that one thing you did exceptionally well and chalk the day up as a personal win. I know we all want to do well, that's why we compete. But I have stopped focusing just on where I place as a measure of where I am going. All those little victories and all that progression adds up, then something miraculous happens: they start happening closer and closer together and those little instances show up well in match results!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I know a self-saboteur very well. I've watched him do it to himself for 20+ years. He is highly intelligent yet continually does things that thwart having a better life. He is competent enough to soar to heights far above where he currently exists.

My best theory is: he doesn't believe he deserves a better life. He genuinely prefers misery.

Changing core beliefs about yourself might be the key. Easier said than done.

Have you ever noticed a person has two lists they live by: The “should do” list and the “must do” list. Once something gets on the must do list; it just gets done regardless of the obstacles. It also helps in cutting down on shoulding all over your-self.

How do you treat this?

Steve Anderson has talked about the best practice sessions and breakthroughs happen when you don't want to practice, but do it anyway.