Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 dilemma

IuniusBrutus

I know there are a few topics like this on the board (on the first page even!) by issue is a bit different.

I currently have an SP-01 which I enjoy quite a bit bone stock. I haven't had a chance to shoot competition with it, but I will once the season starts off again. My only problem is that I really wouldn't mind a Shadow. At all. I was going to have CZ drop a competition hammer and new sights in it, but at that point the cost difference between my upgraded SP-01 and a new Shadow would only be ~$100. EDIT: Looks like I could get a Cajun Gun Works kit for about $140 and save some money, so that might be better?

Should I just stick out with the stock SP-01? Upgrade it and be cool with it? Or is the lack of a FPB enough of a reason to sell my SP-01 and buy a Shadow?

Edited by IuniusBrutus

truthfully up to you.

a reworked SP01, with the block, is super nice. modifications can be done to shorten the reset with the block, and if a proper polish and proper adjustment of the springs is done, the trigger will be as good as a Shadow.

However, sometimes, and I get this way on some things. it will never be a Shadow and sometimes its worth spending the money to get what you want or think you want.

if you SP01 is stock..you probably can get about $500 +/- for it, so you are looking at another $400 to deliver a Shadow to you. and then whatever tweaks you need to make to the Shadow, if you need to have the trigger reworked, etc.

just an opinion :)

Edited by eerw

I'd just buy the hammer, springs, and sights, and then install them yourself. It's really not that hard to do, there's lots of info out there and guys willing to walk you through it (some of each on on here actually), and it'll only cost you a little over $150 or so. With the FPB installed the trigger-reset will be about 3x that of a Shadow, but that'll really be the only difference. FWIW, the CZ reset with the FPB installed is only about as long as a Glock's with a 3.5lb connector installed, it's not something that'll really hold anybody back.

That said, if spending a little more is within reach, a Shadow's reset without the FPB is super-short like a 1911's, and I doubt you'd regret getting a hold of one.

is it worth it to go DIY or spend a little more to get something out of box? it's really up to you. having a nice gun helps but isn't the end-all. basically just depends on your budget. DIY can be fun and cheaper. if you want a shadow, just realize that some things are going to change. one reason i didn't buy a shadow was because i'd have to get rid of the sights, get rid of the wide safties and cage, and then dump the extended mag release... all of which cost quite a few bucks. so i could never justify the cost of switching to one. so, keep that in mind if you're getting a shadow. if you like its features then great.

in the end i just use my money on ammo and match fees, as those are really what make the sport expensive. if you look at it that way, the gun is the cheapest thing of all. full circle back to just how much your budget will allow. if you can afford it, go for it!

are you only allowed to own 1 gun? I am allowed to own as many as I want, so when I was in the same situation (but with a cz75 I already owned), I figured the smartest thing to do was buy the cgw hammer kit and springs first. That made such a difference in my ability to shoot quickly and accurately that I figured I should buy another cz75 in a different caliber, and do the same to it. So Now I have 2. I'll probably get a shadow at some point too. Then I'll have 3. :cheers:

I'm a bit of a newb, so I found working on the guns myself to be very educational and satisfying.

Corey...Will you be shooting in Production division? If so, will the CGW hammer be legal? Just curious.

I'm putting a CGW hammer in my shadow lol. I don't like the FPB and while the stock shadow trigger is good I think the CGW is better. I'm sure Stuart could make the shadow just as good

Corey...Will you be shooting in Production division? If so, will the CGW hammer be legal? Just curious.

I'm putting a CGW hammer in my shadow lol. I don't like the FPB and while the stock shadow trigger is good I think the CGW is better. I'm sure Stuart could make the shadow just as good

I imagine it would be, as it is just a shadow hammer.

So, I decided to just keep my SP-01... I'd like to retire my Beretta for IDPA too though, so what is the easiest way to get this under weight for IDPA?

[

So, I decided to just keep my SP-01... I'd like to retire my Beretta for IDPA too though, so what is the easiest way to get this under weight for IDPA?

Factory plastic grips + factory 10rd mags will usually get you there (at or under 39ozs), beyond that, maybe change the lanyard-loop mainspring plug to that of a regular 75 non-loop type and then go even further changing small stuff if you still need to...

Excellent.

One last question, since there seems to be such a wealth of knowledge here -

Are the CGW hammer kits legal for USPSA/IDPA? I imagine though would be, since they use factory "external" parts, but I just want to make sure before I give them my money.

edit: I realize I gave my own opinion on the matter, but I'd like a more educated one. :)

Edited by IuniusBrutus

Excellent.

One last question, since there seems to be such a wealth of knowledge here -

Are the CGW hammer kits legal for USPSA/IDPA? I imagine though would be, since they use factory "external" parts, but I just want to make sure before I give them my money.

edit: I realize I gave my own opinion on the matter, but I'd like a more educated one. :)

hahaha..yes you did.

but yes..he modifies factory parts for the hammers, so that would be good to go. caution on some of the other parts ( which are great parts ) but not USPSA production criteria.

His firing pins are very nice as are some of his spring kits.

CZ Custom parts are also very nice to work with also. and you can come with some really wicked triggers with all the great parts available. This wasn't the case a few years ago.

Some great innovation from many people to help us out.

Why wouldn't it be?

Just wasn't sure to which CGW hammer you were referring. If it's just the modified CZ hammer, then obviously no problem. I guess I was just thinking of CGW's own race hammer.

Why wouldn't it be?

Just wasn't sure to which CGW hammer you were referring. If it's just the modified CZ hammer, then obviously no problem. I guess I was just thinking of CGW's own race hammer.

Why wouldn't it be?

The only thing he makes that wouldn't be production legal is the trigger that is set back with a screw. All his hammers are factory parts that he cuts.

Au contraire. I've been David's customer for a while now... :devil:

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=45203.0

Why wouldn't it be?

The only thing he makes that wouldn't be production legal is the trigger that is set back with a screw. All his hammers are factory parts that he cuts.

http://www.czfirearm...p?topic=45203.0

Ok so are you saying that a different hammer isn't production legal? I would have to think on that one. I really need one of those race hammers from him. It would suck if John deems it a external modification. I would push that its a reliability and trigger component.

Edited by steel1212

As claimed from the site it's lightened and customized but it's still heavy. I'm looking for a gun smith who's been tested by other production shooter mainly doing CZ trigger job. Thanks in advance.

eerw is your man.

As claimed from the site it's lightened and customized but it's still heavy. I'm looking for a gun smith who's been tested by other production shooter mainly doing CZ trigger job. Thanks in advance.

CGW's own "race" hammer definitely is an external modification and is not from the factory -- obviously I'm not the power that be. :roflol: Just didn't want you to spend $$$ and finding out it doesn't comply with production rules. Ask eerw or David -- CZC's comp hammer or CGW's hammer kits (using CZ's hammers) should be fine.

FWIW...Stuart did a fantastic trigger job on my two-tone shadow. 2.25# SA and 5.5# DA -- buttery smooth.

http://www.czfirearm...p?topic=45203.0

Ok so are you saying that a different hammer isn't production legal? I would have to think on that one. I really need one of those race hammers from him. It would suck if John deems it a external modification. I would push that its a reliability and trigger component.

Edited by justaute