Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P16 Limited Advice

Nowind0

I purchased a P16-40 Limited probably about 10 years ago. So it was made in Canada and has the standard extractor. I have made some upgrades to it.

1. took the series 80 parts out

2. replaced hammer and sear with a C&S unit

3. installed a short trigger (as I have short fingers)

4. extended mag release

5. removed the grips and added skateboard tape (as I have short fingers)

I am thinking of performing more upgrades, but not sure what it needs. Definitely a mag well and basepads.

So I have two questions:

1. What other upgrades should I be looking to do (this will mainly be a 3-gun pistol)?

2. Would I be better off selling the gun as is and going to the dark side with an STI (both cost and functionality wise)?

Thanks in advance.

You have basically the same setup I have. The only thing different is I have a Dawson ICE magwell on mine. If the gun runs I do not see the reason the sell it to upgrade to an STI. The gun will not hold you back.

How many rounds through the gun? How happy are you with the gun in it's current state? How tight are the tolerances? How accurate is the gun? How reliable is the gun?

The gun has less than 1,000 rounds throught it. I am happy with the gun save a few magazine induced malfunctions. Just a bit large for my hand, but not sure any other double stack 1911 is any better. The gun is pretty good on tolerences...for a factory gun. Definitely not as tight as my bullseye guns. It is resonably accurate, to the point that I would not be concerned with the accuracy. It will hold the 10 ring on a 25 yd rapid fire target (at 25 yrds)

I have the same gun (Candian made without the PX) plus a Dawson Magwell and five mags with Dawson extentions. I bought my P16-40 used and had to chase down a few issues that I thought were magazine induced, but turned out to by caused by the slide stop and magazine release button. You can read all about it at

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=298470&highlight=Gotchas

and find my solutions to the problems. Tight slide to frame fit is overated in a combat style gun as it increases the chances of a malfunction. However I does come into play with a frame mounted optic (Open gun). Since the sights on a Limited gun are mounted on the slide the most important thing as a good barrel to slide fit. Also Run-n-Gun isn't bullseye and the demands for accuracy are different. The larger grip size is directly related to the number of rounds it holds. As far as I am concerned it could be the size of a 2x4 if it held 30 rounds in a 140mm long magazine, but I have big hands.

If the gun runs fine I don't see a need to spend a lot of money for an STI, unless you are looking for STI "bragging rights". STIs are a little lighter than the Para all stainless steel frame guns (sometimes weight is your friend without a compensator) and they do have their own set of "issues" (mag tuning amoung them). Remember the devil you know is sometimes better than the devil you DON'T know. ;)

Edited by wmspdi

Stick with your Para and use your money for ammo to practice. If you're going to be doing a lot of reloads then get a DP Ice magwell. Your mag issues can probably be solved with ISMI 140mm mag springs and if you want more rounds get the Dawson Precision basepads too. I wouldn't trade my P-16 for any other limited gun. :cheers:

Stick with your Para and use your money for ammo to practice. If you're going to be doing a lot of reloads then get a DP Ice magwell. Your mag issues can probably be solved with ISMI 140mm mag springs and if you want more rounds get the Dawson Precision basepads too. I wouldn't trade my P-16 for any other limited gun. :cheers:

If I get the Dawson basepads, what spring do you recommend? Is there a follower that is better than the stock OEM?

I have 5 P16-40 magazines with Dawson extensions and they all use the Dawson springs.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=3640000-1100274077

I get 20+1 rounds of 40 S&W in my Canadian made Para OEM blued tubes and followers. No problems. You might be able to shoehorn an extra round in with a different follower, or buy cutting the magazine spring a little (at the risk of FTF on the last round). I am happy with twenty reliable rounds so I never tried it. YMMV.

Edited by wmspdi

I run a P16 in Limited and the only things I'd do to your particular gun is be prepared to replace the extractor, I went Aftec installed by Millenium Custom, and I had the barrel throated to run 1.200 oal by Shay at AKAI Custom to run ammo from DC Ammo. Runs 100% with everything I feed it w/ Para nickel mag bodies and followers, Dawson extensions and ISMI 140mm mag springs. It will put all shots into a fist sized hole at 15 yards. What's not to like. No, I don't see any need to go STI. :cheers:

Those who do not take an interest in public affairs are doomed to be ruled by evil men ~ PLATO, 300 BC

I have a P14 and had a P16. The 16 was modified similar to your gun. I have small hands and do not find the grip to be a problem. Once I loaded out to 1.2 it was 100%! I sold it and went back to the 14 because I can see .45 holes easier than .40...I'm 65. I just compete locally these days and don't feel the extra rounds will help that much.

FWIW

Richard

If I get the Dawson basepads, what spring do you recommend? Is there a follower that is better than the stock OEM?

I have had great success with 140mm ISMI Para mag springs with factory followers. Sometimes you might have to radius the front andback of the follower to keep the follower from getting caught when it transfers from the basepad to the mag body when fully loaded(there is a great video that Dawson Precision has about this on there website). Some magazines will hold 21rnds and some will only hold 20rnds of 40s&w. This combination will be very reliable and last a long time,I only change my mag springs every 2 years with the ISMI springs. My P-16 will even feed empty cases! :devil:

Edited by Roy Hess

I have a P14 and had a P16. The 16 was modified similar to your gun. I have small hands and do not find the grip to be a problem. Once I loaded out to 1.2 it was 100%! I sold it and went back to the 14 because I can see .45 holes easier than .40...I'm 65. I just compete locally these days and don't feel the extra rounds will help that much.

FWIW

Richard

thread drift--Chirpy,,whats wrong with being 65...

• 2 weeks later...

Im getting 20 +1 in mine with Factory followers, DP base pads, and Wolff +10% springs. Ive got one mag for some reason just wont hold over 19 even when tuned and played with. Just difference when built I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I thought of reviving this thread as this talked about magazine set up for a P16-40.

As of late, I have had issues with my magazines where the last 1 or 2 rounds have been jamming in the magazine where the rounds would no longer go up.

I can see the rounds just sort of getting wedged on the side of the follower. I dont know if the follower is tilting but the rounds are certainly not going under or on the side of the follower and the stoppage is somewhat puzzling.

My set up is the standard nickel P16-40 OEM mags. I have the original Para Ord follower and have replaced the mag springs with the 10%+ brownells springs for Para.

I have tried to use the arredondo followers thinking that it could be the cause but the arredondo were much worse as it tilted at the bottom of the mag and rendered the magazine incapacitated.

I am considering to try the gram followers and springs but are they suitable for para mag tubes as they appear to be for STI and SPS only. Anyone tried the followers with a Para mag tube?