Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight Trackers

RangerTrace

I have had weekend with the STI Aperio, which has the sight tracker.

I bought it on a Thursday and had it shipped to me. I picked it up last Saturday and took it straight from the box and shot in a match Sunday. I will have to say that I really like the sight tracking. You always see the front sight. That being said it also had the effect on me to not let the gun settle before second shot. On the first stage I shot, my sights were off about 4" so I had to take my time and really concentrate on the steel. Second stage I let it go. I found I was shooting EXTREMELY fast but was high since I was not letting the gun settle. The third stage was on for me. I found the sweet spot for my sights and second shot. I am a new shooter and have been shooting CZ TS up until now and the sight tracking was really fast for me. I stayed orientated on the front sight the whole time. I am very happy with the Aperio and will have to have a custom version now.

photo-5.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats interesting what you said about not letting the FS settle before firing the second. and it makes sense! I find that also happening when I use a lighter recoil spring, than I should be using.

something to thing about...

thanks

I am also waiting for my Matt Cheeley 5 inch sight tracker, it is suppose to be done next month, Roy Neal I am also from Detroit (Troy actually but close enough lol). When I tried the one out at Matts shop, I thought to myself (after shooting a glock 35 for the last few years) this is like cheating. The front sight post never disappeared.

Anyone know of a reason that you couldn't take an STI Edge and get it fitted for a sight tracker barrel later on? How about a Brazos Custom Limited gun that's already been hard chromed?

Yes, the slide can be cut and a sight tracker barrel installed. If your slide is carbon steel you would have to get the hard chrome redone or keep the edges of the sight tracker cut oiled to avoid rusting there.

Anyone know of a reason that you couldn't take an STI Edge and get it fitted for a sight tracker barrel later on? How about a Brazos Custom Limited gun that's already been hard chromed?

When you cut the Edge’s slide for the rib there will be some remnants of where the front sight dovetail was. Purely cosmetic but an issue for some.

When you cut the Edge’s slide for the rib there will be some remnants of where the front sight dovetail was. Purely cosmetic but an issue for some.

A little "beauty" cut takes care of that nicely.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am also curious about being able to lighten the slide after the sight tracker groove is cut. I talked to SV about a 6" sight tracker and was discouraged from considering that option as it would end up with a "muzzle heavy" pistol. It seems that some material could be removed from the barrel's rib too.

I just got a brand new (to me) SVI Sight Tracker, and I completely agree that the recoil is amazingly lighter, and the sight comes back real quick, BUT, I had a friend point out to me that many shooters blink every time the gun goes off, with out even noticing it. My question is, do you guys, that say you can track the sight much better on the sight trackers, not blink and actually see the front sight post rise and fall all the way through the recoil cycle, or you can just find it faster once your eyes open back up? Do you see your muzzle flash every shot?

Also my guy is butler cut and tri-topped and I feel like cycles just fine for me, but can you go TOO light when lightening a slide, especially one that starts out substantially lighter with the hybrid rib barrel?

DVC,

Eli

yes - you definitly can. I spoke to brandon about it a while back when I was figuring out options for my build. They can do 2 things other than tri-topping/octo-topping! that can drastically lighten the slide.

- internal slide lightening with their 5-axis CNC machine

- sight tracker

I remember that he wouldnt combine the two to make the slide ridiculously light.

I ended up going with just a lightened slide + bushing barrel for limited minor(dont ask) but after seeing this thread, I almost want to send it back for a sight tracker top end.

but after seeing this thread, I almost want to send it back for a sight tracker top end.

HAHA, This forum has a habit of doing that. :D

O and if I recall I think they prefer Septi-topping, octo-topping would leave you with a ridge at the top. That may look a little strange. Or you can do infini-topping (round top) I wonder if anyone has ever tried to mill down the top but keep it rounded, that would technically be lightest.

• 2 weeks later...

so does everyone pretty much order them and then see if they like them?? i mean there really isn't a way to "test one out", so do you trust that you will like it? it is just a lot of cash to drop on something you have never shot!