Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

69gr SMK Load

promod1385

I have a 55gr load worked up for this coming 3gun season. I would like to work up a load using 69gr SMK's for the longer shots. I have a 20" Hbar barrel with rifle length gas system and Cooley Comp. For powder I have a couple pounds of 748 and 8lbs of Ramshot Tac.

Any load input for my set up and the 69gr SMK's would be greatly appreciated.

My pet Sierra 69 load.

New or once fired Winchester Brass.

Remington 7 1/2 Primers.

25.4 gr Varget

69 SMK seated to 2.25" OAL

Very light crimp with a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

2800 fps out of my 18" Colt & LaRue rifles.

How about brass? I just sorted a couple thousand pieces of brass I bought this past summer. 1000 pieces Lake City, 500 pieces BHA Match, 300 Winchester, 300 RP. Thinking of using the LC for my 55gr rounds and BHA & Win for my SMK's.

Is the RP usable? I have heard its soft, I guess it can be loaded once as throw away brass or for the PDog fields.

Edited by promod1385

How about brass? I just sorted a couple thousand pieces of brass I bought this past summer. 1000 pieces Lake City, 500 pieces BHA Match, 300 Winchester, 300 RP. Thinking of using the LC for my 55gr rounds and BHA & Win for my SMK's.

Is the RP usable? I have heard its soft, I guess it can be loaded once as throw away brass or for the PDog fields.

Personally I'd use the LC for 69's and everything else for 55's.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

I have a 55gr load worked up for this coming 3gun season. I would like to work up a load using 69gr SMK's for the longer shots. I have a 20" Hbar barrel with rifle length gas system and Cooley Comp. For powder I have a couple pounds of 748 and 8lbs of Ramshot Tac.

Any load input for my set up and the 69gr SMK's would be greatly appreciated.

I agree with TAC, Reloader 15 almost the same. I use 24 grains of TAC or RL-15 for 69, 75 & 77 grainers. TAC lists 24.3 as max for the 69 grainers.

I attached the TAC 223 page out of their PDF.

TAC 223.pdf

Edited by Cotys

Am I on the wrong tracking thinking I will use 55gr for anything under 100 yds and 69SMK's for anything over 100yds? Will my zero's be too different to make this work?

Zero with your long range ammo - know the POI difference just in case you have to shoot 55 at long range.

Use up the Tac, since you have it. After that, switch to IMR 8208. It's shoots the same as Varget, but meters better. Use your LC brass for the 69 SMK and the rest for 55s. For the 69s I use 23gr even with OAL 2.235" and get an even 2800fps from my 20" barrel. Zero with your 69gr and take the 55s where they lie. For practice I run Hornady 55gr FMJ with 24.4gr 8208 and OAL 2.200" for a velocity of about 3100fps. The further out you zero the more likely you are to have a similar impact between your 55s and 69s. If you zero at say 200 or 250 you split the error differnce. The two rounds will stay within 1moa out to about 400.

Check out white oak precision's website. John Holliger is a world class shooter and he has his reloading data on his site. IIRC he uses 25 of Reloader 15 with the 69SMK, but don't quote me on that.

Darren