Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quick question

TimG_SC

I am getting an order up for powder and primers to load 45acp(for the first time). I am ordering Hogdon Clays powder. I have been loading 9mm with winchester primers because I'm using a reduced power striker spring on my 9. I was going to order the winchester large pistol primers to load the 45's but they are out of stock. What other primers would you recommend? They have CCI,Cheddite,Federal,Remington,Tula, and Wolf. I will be using 230g JHP and shooting them in an STI Trojan that I have on order.

Thanks for your help

I say go with Federal. Softer primer, better chance to go bang the first time. Granted most bottom feeder type guns don't require softer primers like revolvers do. Winchester would be my second choice, then Wolf. CCI would be the last as I feel it is the hardest one out there.

• 2 weeks later...

3rd on Federal. Never had a need to pay much attention using 1911's, but when I starting reloading for Revolvers it became important. You may not be reloading for Revo's now, but when it comes time you'll be glad you don't have to segregate your loads(not that I would know from personal experience).

Have used Remington and Wolf in my 1911s with 100% satisfaction. The Federals are the only ones I refuse to use in a 1911/2011.

any particular reason for not liking Federal? this is for my own educational purposes b/c i personally have Wolf and Winchester, but a friend of mine is trying to get me to get on large order of Federal primers with him to split the hazmat fees and i was wondering why not use the Federal. thanks

any particular reason for not liking Federal? this is for my own educational purposes b/c i personally have Wolf and Winchester, but a friend of mine is trying to get me to get on large order of Federal primers with him to split the hazmat fees and i was wondering why not use the Federal. thanks

I like Federals...in my light action revolvers and bolt action rifles. I get some of my best accuracy loads using Federals. But, I won't use them in ARs due to the floating firing pin, or the 1911/2011 platform, or anything where speed is involved.

Why...I have yet to see a CCI, Rem, Win or Wolf ignite a primer due to a ground strike or impact with the ejector. With Federals, I have seen numerous cases of such. They are more "sensitive" and everything comes with a trade-off. Some will say this is overly cautious, so be it.

I like Federals...in my light action revolvers and bolt action rifles. I get some of my best accuracy loads using Federals. But, I won't use them in ARs due to the floating firing pin, or the 1911/2011 platform, or anything where speed is involved.

Why...I have yet to see a CCI, Rem, Win or Wolf ignite a primer due to a ground strike or impact with the ejector. With Federals, I have seen numerous cases of such. They are more "sensitive" and everything comes with a trade-off. Some will say this is overly cautious, so be it.

thanks, i think i'll stick w/ Win and Wolf being my go to choices.

I thought we were talking about reloading 45 PISTOL ammo. I don't think Federal primers are recommended for AR's