Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best AR for under $1000

BigDave

We've done alot of bouncing back and forth regarding what one looks for in a AR for action shooting, both custom and factory, after-martket parts, etc.

For those of us "entry level" three-gunners, can the more experienced  3gunners give us their vote for the best entry level AR and state why?  It can be a factory rifle with upgrades, but the price shouldn't exceed $1000.  Speaking for myself, I'd like to go all-in on a JP, Clark or Benny Hill rifle with all the bells and whistles, but for many of us, thats just not practical (no pun intended).

Feel free to tell me how bad of an idea this is. I have access (I think) to an Olympic Arms (cast) lower for about $70. OA's website shows a complete kit with an assembled and test fired upper for $449. Adding the option to go to a 20" barrell with a free floated handguard adds $83. Complete OA 20" A2 free-floated for a shade over $600. I have a friend who built an AR on a cast OA lower, it seems to work fine.

I feel like I spent way too much on my AR considering how it gets used. The life a 3-Gun AR leads is very hard.

I believe the next 3-gun AR I buy will be a 20" A3 Bushmaster with a light contour barrel and a JP trigger. Add a mini-y or an AK brake and be done with it.

Twix,

I did the same thing, besides the bolt breaking once I have had good luck with mine (they sent me a new one.) A buddy did the same deal and his works also. I don't shoot a rifle much. Definitely save enough to put a JP trigger in it though, it makes all the difference, more than a free floated barrel.

Having put together more than a dozen  AR' S doesn't make me an expert but I do have an idea of what works and what doesn't.  An Oly arms lower will work fine but they take extra time to fit if they are new.  The parkerizing is so thick arouind the holes  they all have to be reamed so the pins will slide in.  A good three gun AR can be put together from parts for under a grand and its a fun esperence if your into that sort of thing.  My current mix is an old Colt sp-1 lower, Les  Baer  non foward assist flat top upper $98.00, Bushmaster 1in 7 light contour barrel $185.00,  Accuracy Speaks two piece free float handguard $60.00,  JP trigger and low mass hamer $150.00,  Mill spec bolt and carrier $100.00,  Miculek comp $30.00,   DPMS buttstock  assembly $55.00,  Small parts from DPMS and others  $100.00.  If I added right that is $778.00 plus the lower. There are also some special tools to buy that make it very easy to do it yourself.  Or you can just go out and buy a Bushmaster or other equally fine AR drop your choice of after market trigger group in and be done with it.  

I have a Bushmaster 20" A3 with the AK-74 muzzle break . I picked it up off of gunbroker for 650 bucks with less than a 100 rounds through it . I then picked up 8 30 round mags for 100 bucks and then sold 5 of them to get all my money back . A friend of mine had a few AR mags he had from when he was in the Army that he contributed to my cause and so I am still at the 650 mark . This rifle shoots great even with the lousy factory trigger and is completely reliable with any type of ammo . I have to say that the Bushy gets my vote for the sub 1000 dollar gun .

Two ways to go Build your own or buy! If you buy, go with ROCK RIVER ( best value for what you get on the market)! Get a flat top full length rifle. Have a good brake put on and be done. Now you can pick your sighting system, iron/ scope.

If you build, why are you posting here? There have been tons of build your own post already. Just look back through and pick and choose what you think you want.

By the way Benny Hill does make a rifle that is under 1000.00 and boy do they shoot!!! Just give him a call and he can set you up. Don't mention my name though as he automatically tacks on 30%.         KURT

I second most of the comments so far, Bushmaster builds an acceptable rifle, for that matter so does DPMS. You , IMHO do not really NEED a freefloat handguard if you are shooting without a sling. JP makes an excellent trigger thats easy to install and comes with good instructions.        .             Travis F.

BTW, JP reccommends against installing their lightened hammer on guns used with import or military ammo due to ignition failure with thick primer cups. And go for the 20 in. over the 16 IMHO.             Travis F.

OK Kurtm, I like what I have seen and read about the RR Ar's. Their catalog lists the A4 at $800, plus a rear sight and a compensator. It comes with a national match two-stage trigger. What would you get if you got one from Benny Hill?

Benny knows his stuff. One point to remember - so-called "National Match" triggers often are built to EXCEED 4.5 pounds for the NW course; we do not have that limit in USPSA/IPSC. Benny will build you an IPSC rifle, not a gun built for some other sport.  You are free to use however light a trigger you want as long as it is safe.  My recomendation?  1) Buy benny's riifle or 2) RRAb w/ 20" Non bull barrel w. float tube and have Benny's or Miculek comp installed 3) Bushmaster set up the same way 4) DPMS.  Key parts are: accurate non-bull barrel; light trigger (you decide how light) effectve comp that is legal for the division you want to shoot; good sights/optic.

Perhaps this might be a lesson in what not to do:

I have a Bushmaster. I put on an Accuracy Speaks Rail, JP free float tube and adjustable gas block, and JP trigger-all for about $350 above and beyond the cost of the Bushmaster.  

I enjoy tinkering with and learning about my guns so it was fun and expensive.  What a deal!

However, knowing what I know now, I would opt for a Benny Hill.  It runs right out of the box.

My Benny rifle is not his 995 deal, I really don't know how much I've got in it and really don't want to know but it's worth every dime, I shoot the south african ammo with the jp and a light hammer and the only time one did't lite off it was a winchester, go figure( I don't think the rifle was in battery). Talk to Benny, tell him what you want, listen to what he says and get a rifle you will like. It may well be the 995 deal, but standing around saying Damn I could have had a V8 sucks.          Good shooting                      Larry                                    

• 2 months later...

I concur with the last few posts, If Benny builds a rifle, it shoots......., and he backs 'em.

I've been in the IPSC sport for a while, (1984ish), and I struggled with different PoS guns for years.

I once took pride in people telling me I cleared malfunctions faster than anyone they knew.

Since Benny started building most everything for me, I could concentrate on shooting.

If you can spare it, buy it!

Colt, DPMS, Bushmaster, Rock River, Les Bauer all seem to work well. All have the ability to have lemons but most run. The Oly Arms guns I have seen, have never made it through a 223 or 556 course at Gunsite. They have all had problems. Maybe the new ones work but none that I have seen.

Pay the extra money and get one from Benny, JP, Jimmy Clark or Les. I like the 18 inch barrels but 20 inches is what you see most of the better shooter shooting.

Practice is the most important thing after you find a reliable AR.

Just my two cents.

• 8 years later...

If you end up with a Colt, the good folks at Specialized Armament (Ken Elmore) can perform nearly any modification you want. Specialized Armament have a very reasonably priced "reliability package" that is well worth the money. For a little over $1000.00 you can get a Colt and be done with it. Colt's are the best production guns availble in my opinion. Specialized Armament makes a great gun even better.