Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reduced 38 SuperComp Load for Steel

hunt_fish

Hi All,

I am looking to load some 38 SuperComp rounds at a low power factor for speed steel. Up til now I have been using my 165PF IPSC Open loads!

I have an STI Open gun, with a 3 port comp, and want a load that will make lots of gas to work the comp but want less recoil than my 165PF Open load.

I have a recoilmaster so lighter loads should work, can reshape a different firing pin stop to help with slide speed if need be.

My question is will I need to change powder and/or projectiles to load it lower, or will less VV N340 do? How empty can I fill the case and be safe?

Cheers,

Ryan

When I ran minor loads through my .38 Supercomp, I was running about 4 grains of straight Clays, behind a Zero 125 grain jhp. I quit running minor loads through that gun because it changed the way the gasses came out of the comp. and screwed up the lens on my scope. :surprise:

There's some threads on the forum about reduced power steel loads - something like 7.5gr of 4756 with any bullet weight is interesting. Still some gas to work the comp, but basically no recoil. Almost feels like the gun didn't even go off...

I also shot a load with Alliant 2400 once - it was something silly, like 12gr... but the powder is so slow that the bullet was only going, like, 1180 fps... Loud as hell. Soft as hell. But, man, was it dirty.... ;)

There's some threads on the forum about reduced power steel loads - something like 7.5gr of 4756 with any bullet weight is interesting. Still some gas to work the comp, but basically no recoil. Almost feels like the gun didn't even go off...

I also shot a load with Alliant 2400 once - it was something silly, like 12gr... but the powder is so slow that the bullet was only going, like, 1180 fps... Loud as hell. Soft as hell. But, man, was it dirty.... ;)

I tried some 4756 in my .38 Supercomp, and still use it as a backup powder for major, but, when I downloaded it for a minor load, my brass came out looking like it had too much pressure. :surprise: Made no sense to me at all.

These are the reduced loads that I found worked good for me as far as feel and accuracy with an old single stack .38 super ipsc open gun with a cone two chamber comp and proper re-springing:

8.0-8.5gr WW540 (now HS6) w/115 MG 115JHP or 115 Win FMJHB - 8.5gr is about 145pf

5.5-5.7gr WW231 w/115 MG 115JHP or 115 Win FMJHB - 5.5gr is about 126pf (real mouse fart load)

6.5gr AA#5 w/115 MG 115JHP or 115 Win FMJHB or 122-135gr lead bullet - 6.5g w/135gr lead is about 145pf

I also had good luck with 4.5 - 5.0 gr WW452AA and light bullets, but that powder is no longer available.

I see alot of people just use their normal power factor powder load, and just using a lighter bullet. Kinda just keeping it simple/stupid. Unless you are just going to shoot steel only and you are looking for that perfect load. You could shoot some 115's or maybe even some 95gr bullets.

I have been running 5.5 grains of tight group or WST behind a MG 115 jhp, major load is same bullet. I have two powder measures and run one of these powders for 45 and 40 so I just change the powder measure out. I'm kind of anal about cleaning powder measures when I change powders so I don't have to go through that this way. The WST is softer. Really need a 7 lb spring for it, but it is so clean it makes it worth it.

I see alot of people just use their normal power factor powder load, and just using a lighter bullet. Kinda just keeping it simple/stupid. Unless you are just going to shoot steel only and you are looking for that perfect load. You could shoot some 115's or maybe even some 95gr bullets.

My goal was to be able to shoot the gun as is - no spring change. Mission accomplished.

btw - love 95's for sub-minor mousefart loads but they are a PITA to get right.

I have used 115s with 7625 loaded way way down. Loaded them down to the point that the gun would not cycle. Then worked it back up to get the gun to run reliable. Awesome load, works great on steel. Have tried the 95s also, work great on the outer limits. Hits the back plates really fast.