Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M2 Carrier Latch

eringobragh

Hey gang,

Took mine out tonight to put a little bend in it hoping to get easier loading...

Well bent too far and shells were coming back on me. Took back apart and took some bend out. With a fully loaded 8 round tube, I am dropping the shotgun from about a foot or more onto my carpeted floor...no shells coming back now. Should I be good to go?

For what it's worth loading feels no easier...need to send it off to the pros!

Yes do yourself a favor and order a lifter from C Rums.

Lifter is fine...C-Rums welded it up quite some time ago. He did my bolt mods as well.

I'm talking about the carrier latch...the latch that keeps and releases the shells from the magazine tube.

• 2 months later...

I just beveled the loading port, and a friend is going to weld the lifter for me. I'm debating on bending the shell catch myself. Anyone thats done it, I'd be glad to hear how....

I bent mine myself and it made a world of difference. The toughest part was getting it off after each attempt at getting it right. It took me 4-5 times to find the right balance between easy to load and making sure all 12 shells remained in the tube (+8 Nordic and XXL cap).

Check out the link in the 3rd post in this thread http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=142534 for more details.

Going to give it a shot.

On another mod, how bout the bolt out of battery mod? What and where is the mod done? Is it the lifter or the bolt thats modified? Pics from those that have done the work?

One of the mods is to extend the slot in the bottom of the right side bolt that the shell lifter goes into. If you extend it all the way out to the end of the bolt you'll be able to load shells even if the bolt isn't fully in battery.

The bolt mod I've been told about is to unshroud the firing pin on the botton of the bolt so that if the bolt is not fully in battery the hammer will still be able to contact the firing pin and set off the round.

Going to give it a shot.

On another mod, how bout the bolt out of battery mod? What and where is the mod done? Is it the lifter or the bolt thats modified? Pics from those that have done the work?

One of the mods is to extend the slot in the bottom of the right side bolt that the shell lifter goes into. If you extend it all the way out to the end of the bolt you'll be able to load shells even if the bolt isn't fully in battery.

The bolt mod I've been told about is to unshroud the firing pin on the botton of the bolt so that if the bolt is not fully in battery the hammer will still be able to contact the firing pin and set off the round.

:surprise:

I'm thinking that would NOT be a good thing

• 2 weeks later...

By clamping one end in the vise and bending it with your hands, or putting the whole "curved" end in the vise and slowly cranking the handle to squeeze it?

By clamping one end in the vise and bending it with your hands, or putting the whole "curved" end in the vise and slowly cranking the handle to squeeze it?

Put the flat side into the vise. Give the curved end a little bend. Put it backin the gun and load the tube (w/ dummy rounds) to max. Slam the buttstock onto the ground to simulate recoil. If the rounds do not pop outa the tube, start over and bend a little more. I waited til rounds popped outa the tube and then bent it back a tad to original. This way I found the MAX it can go before malfunctioning.

Mine loads like butter now.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting stuff. Anyone have pics of the bolt modifications to allow it to be loaded out of battery and fired out of battery?

Hey Greg,

See the little shiny spot in the lower left? Thats the mod so you can load out of battery. I haven't done the other, I've only heard about it. I really want to try it but if it causes an unfomfortable or dangerous situation I don't want to have to buy a $600 part to get it back to stock. How about I tell you what I was told and you can give it a shot?

post-2055-0-03680700-1337298648_thumb.jp

Edited by TMC

Interesting stuff. Anyone have pics of the bolt modifications to allow it to be loaded out of battery and fired out of battery?

Hey Greg,

See the little shiny spot in the lower left? Thats the mod so you can load out of battery. I haven't done the other, I've only heard about it. I really want to try it but if it causes an unfomfortable or dangerous situation I don't want to have to buy a $600 part to get it back to stock. How about I tell you what I was told and you can give it a shot?

Cool thanks for the pic. I had the shotgun apart putting on a Daves Metal Works extension for the bolt release so I went ahead and did this mod. I think I went a little further back than you, but it should be fine, I didn't level the entire channel, but further than that. I also took a little more material out of the loading port, it really loads well now.

I'm in the same boat as you on the out of battery mod. I was hoping someone who had done it already, tested it, and lived to tell about it would chime in. I don't want to screw up any expensive benelli parts either :D

Why would we want the gun to fire out of battery?

:unsure:

With the Benelli vary rarely and more when the gun is dirty I think, the gun will fail to go into battery when you're shooting it. When this happens, you pull the trigger, the hammer falls, but the round doesn't go off. You have to cycle the action to cock the hammer and end up ejecting the live round. That's not only seconds lost when the clock is running, but a shot lost too. When I plan out a stage I'll often only have 1 extra in the tube (extra on my belt though), so losing that round could mean an open bolt load or extra time stuffing more rounds as well.

I've heard of this mod, but never from someone who's done it or tested it so I'm a little leery of doing it myself. Having it fire out of battery doesn't sound very good, but if it works and doesn't hurt the gun then it'd be a good mod.

Also, this doesn't happen very often. I've had it happen to me once in practice and I thought I had outrun the trigger. I'm not sure if I actually pulled the trigger before the bolt was forward (unlikely) or the bolt just didn't go into battery (most likely).

• 4 weeks later...