Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

spo1vs shadow

wingnut

I am looking at a 3 year spo1 custom with verry low round count. Or a new shadow black for $1200.00. This will be used for uspsa production.The spo1 has the FPB removed I will have to put it back in for production right. What does it do. He is asking $900.00 FOR THE SPO1 with 5 mags & holster. Witch way to go.

The FPB(firing pin block) is a little cylinder piece that drops down to percent the firing pin from moving until the trigger is pulled. It stops the firing pin from striking a primer if the gun is dropped.

It's up to you but the used gun sounds like a good deal.

Im not sure if you have to put the FPB back in to shoot production, maybe someone else can chim in.

Thank you

Get the Shadow. burningsquirrels will come here shortly and he will tell you that your gun will be your cheapest investment in your shooting career.

unless the SP01 is tuned by CZ custom, Mink or Akai. I'd still get the Shadow. No FPB to deal with which means shorter reset shot to shot.

Get the gun you really want the first time. It truly is the cheapest part of the whole equation. I made that mistake in 1998. I bought the gun that was $150 cheaper than the one I really, really wanted. While I improved while shooting the "compromise" gun, I grew to hate it and always wished I'd got the one I really wanted. 7 years later when I bought the gun I'd wanted in the first place, the price had gone up from $1900 to $3500.

Buy what you want the first time, and shoot knowing that your gun never provides an excuse.

the gun and equipment is the cheapest thing going if you like to compete. last year i shot 80? matches not including idpa or 3-gun or other gun... i am going to 17 major matches with entry fees from $100 to $250, maybe 12-16k of pistol, 1.5k rifle and shotgun each, a couple hundred slugs, tens of thousands of miles of gas, maybe a couple dozen hotel nights and tent campsites, oh crap... $$$! :roflol: i'm not even going to try and total that b.s.!

what's a couple hundred extra on a stupid pistol? :devil:

Here's the deal: if you want the shorter reset, you've gotta pay for it... Stinks, but it is what it is.

I'll add this: the shorter Shadow reset isn't going to turn anyone into TGO, but to me it helps enough were even having a fully blown out and tuned up Stainless 75B I'm still looking out for a used 75 Shadow to come along every day and might just have to bite the bullet and buy a new one. The reason is that the clock doesn't lie and I'm not as fast and accurate with the longer reset, so for me, like many, the extra cash might be worth it...

I'm familiar with the gun mentioned by the op. It is a Hobdell custom. Technically, he would be getting a "more expensive" gun than a Shadow for the cost of a Shadow.

My question is: How much difference will their be in the trigger once he reinstalls the FPB?

Meant to include this in the previous post. It is an SP-01 Custom, not a Shadow. Yes, the FPB needs to be replaced to shoot Production "legally." (If you're just shooting small, local matches, I'm not sure anyone would care.)

you can get rid of the feel of the block by some doing some tuning.

the reset will be slightly longer than a gun without block, but it can be shortened slightly from factory configuration.

if you run only one type, you'll be fine. if you run a gun with and one without you will probably notice the difference because of muscle memory.

I shoot either gun about the same. I was shooting a stainless 75B with a block with I was able to get my GM card...so I doubt the block will hold you back.

Meant to include this in the previous post. It is an SP-01 Custom, not a Shadow. Yes, the FPB needs to be replaced to shoot Production "legally." (If you're just shooting small, local matches, I'm not sure anyone would care.)

That's the caveat right there... and can just come down to one's own personal integrity sometimes as at most casual local matches probably no one will care whether the FPB is installed or not, I know for myself, I shoot IDPA a lot and there's no way I can call anybody on round-dumping or any other questionable BS if my own equipment isn't legit, and even for Production, I take a little bit of pride in playing by the rules, so mine stays in if/until I get a Shadow.

With the right springs and a competition hammer installed the only real difference in trigger-feel is that a non-FPB gun will have 1/4 the reset distance... honestly, it's not that huge of a hinderance and nothing a little more practice/skill can't mitigate.

Wanted to add: probably 1 of my favorite parts I've upgraded/added to my gun cost about $3... A Cajun Gun Works reduced power firing pin block spring. I know it's just one little stupid spring, but It pretty much makes it so you can't even feel the firing pin block lifter in there in SA, takes about a half-pound off the pull weight as compared to the stock spring and makes it feel very nearly identical to the pull with the FPB removed. I'd experimented clipping a few coils off a stock one but the lil' CGW spring really feels/works better.

• 4 weeks later...