Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should some people get special treatment at a big match?

j33716

When a match advertises a limit on registration it is usually set by the squad limits. Only so many people can shoot in a 12 hour period. If squads are equal it is supposed to make things run smoothly. The schedule gets off and timing of squads is upset by adding a shooter or two to only one squad. Now all squads are not equal and shooters must wait for that squad that has been given special treatment.

So what happens when shooters dont register in time and the match is full?

Should anyone be allowed to jump in a the last minute, upsetting the schedule?

Should a GM be allowed to jump in and change the odds of a win for the shooters who signed in the correct way?

Should they be allowed, No, will exceptions be made, of course they will. Just a fact of life, some people will always get a free pass, I'm sure you've gotten deals others missed out on because you knew someone, I know I have. Best thing to do is just let it go.

Should they be allowed, No, will exceptions be made, of course they will. Just a fact of life, some people will always get a free pass, I'm sure you've gotten deals others missed out on because you knew someone, I know I have. Best thing to do is just let it go.

So what if youre the one making the decision to let them in or not?

Do you let them in an screw all the other shooters or do you make the 'special guy' mad?

Edited by j33716

So what if youre the one making the decision to let them in or not?

Do you let them in an screw all the other shooters or do you make the 'special guy' mad?

Could not answer a hypothetical question like that, to many unknowns. Like to say I'd tell the "special guy", he's out of luck, but I know there might be a time(s) I'd let him in like

• he's a super star - I hate star treatment, they get enough already, but stars bring exposure
  • he's a big sponsor of the match/club
  • he is deserving of the spot, ex. some special circumstance like active military back on leave, junior shooter......

I could go on, but I think you get my point.

Was the match slowed down by this one person?

Yes. Every person you add to a squad adds 4-5 minutes for that squad only.

That means the squad after them waits 4-5 minutes compounded by how many stages

5 minutes first stage, 10 minutes second stage, 15 minutes 3rd stage, etc

I think the best answer I've heard is;

"That's what waiting lists are for"

I always like to think the Match Director ought to be the one directing their match. They often know the details best. Plus, they are the ones that are working their tails off...harder than anybody else. They are the first person in the gate and the last person out. So, they don't want a longer day anymore than anybody else does.

When I have run majors, I have never ever budgeted 5min per shooter. In fact, I don't even budget 4 mins. And, most of my matches finish an hour to an hour and a half early for the day. Call it 3min. On a 10 stage match, that is 9 rotations (minus 1 for lunch?)...so, that is a theoretical 25 minutes.

I say theoretical, because I don't believe it actual ends up taking that amount of time.

Plus, expect that 3% won't make the match. (family, work, injury, etc)

Having done a few matches - when certain people want to shoot your match that could add credibility, give the match classifier status, and etc.,those folks will be accommodated. And the same goes with friends, friends of the host club, and etc., I will also try to accommodate them just the same....one of the benefits of running a match.

With all of that said, I don't break up folks wanting to shoot together nor do I change their schedules to accommodate any of these late entering folks. I will get you into the match but not at the expense of any of the previously registered shooters.

Does everyone else shooting the match think that is fair? To be perfectly honest, I don't care. Since I am not changing what they signed up for, they shouldn't care about anyone else. And as far as changing the odds of winning? If anyone is concerned about that, then it sounds like they need to practice more in order to put the odds back in their favor.

Having done a few matches - when certain people want to shoot your match that could add credibility, give the match classifier status, and etc.,those folks will be accommodated. And the same goes with friends, friends of the host club, and etc., I will also try to accommodate them just the same....one of the benefits of running a match.

With all of that said, I don't break up folks wanting to shoot together nor do I change their schedules to accommodate any of these late entering folks. I will get you into the match but not at the expense of any of the previously registered shooters.

Does everyone else shooting the match think that is fair? To be perfectly honest, I don't care. Since I am not changing what they signed up for, they shouldn't care about anyone else. And as far as changing the odds of winning? If anyone is concerned about that, then it sounds like they need to practice more in order to put the odds back in their favor.

+1.

schedule gets off and timing is upset by adding a shooter or two . Now all squads are not equal and shooters must wait for that squad that has been given special treatment.

I was at an Area match couple of years ago, when a GM came through

our squad and shot the COF we were shooting.

My take on it: It was exciting to watch a GM shoot the COF, and

I relaxed and enjoyed the exhibition.

Since then, I've shot with the same GM on his squad, twice, and

love to watch him shoot - very nice guy, and I appreciate the

opportunities to watch him do his magic:)

No one on my squad seemed to mind the 5 minutes it took for him

to scope out the COF and shoot it...

I've been to other matches where the GM's are clustered on one

squad - that's fun to watch also.

Jack

schedule gets off and timing is upset by adding a shooter or two . Now all squads are not equal and shooters must wait for that squad that has been given special treatment.

I was at an Area match couple of years ago, when a GM came through

our squad and shot the COF we were shooting.

My take on it: It was exciting to watch a GM shoot the COF, and

I relaxed and enjoyed the exhibition.

Since then, I've shot with the same GM on his squad, twice, and

love to watch him shoot - very nice guy, and I appreciate the

opportunities to watch him do his magic:)

No one on my squad seemed to mind the 5 minutes it took for him

to scope out the COF and shoot it...

I've been to other matches where the GM's are clustered on one

squad - that's fun to watch also.

Jack

It never hurts to see how the best plan their stages either.