Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 ACP in a NON ramped barrel gun

toddrod

I have a chance to purchase a 45 ACP SS 1911 pistol that has a non ramped barrel to make it into a competition gun. I would like to know how well these feed 200gr SWC lead bullets from anyone who has 1st hand experience. I know I can shoot 230g LRN all day in these things but I like the 200g loads better.

Scotterj - what has been your experience with your Spartan 45 ACP?

Anyone else with 1st hand experience

I have a Caspian framed 45 with a ramped barrel that I built years ago, and a Kimber with a non-ramped barrel that I've had for several years and I shoot nothing but cast 200 gr. swc in them and I can't tell any difference in how they feed in either gun.

The classic 200-gr. H&G #68 (or similar)is a bullet design that is well known for its phenomenal feed reliability in 1911s with non-ramped barrels. Load them to 1.25" and make sure they're crimped decently, and you should be in great shape.

Like Carmoney said, the H&G 68 200 grain lead SWC is the best. I have a Springfield frame and slide with a Nowlin barrel and it never fails. The bullet is very accurate also. Another plus is it cuts the nicest round holes in paper or cardboard.

In 45 ACP the 1911 will feed reliablly without a ramped barrel. I have several non-ramed 45ACP's which are totally reliable" - Remington Rand 1911 A1, Colt NM Gold Cup, SA Trophy Match, Dan Wesson Pointman, & Norinco. The DW Pointman is my favorite.