Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm brass

wingnut

Everyone has likes and dislikes. I find almost all is OK though my Square Deal B. S&B has tight primer pockets but I use relatively hard primers (CCI) so no problems. Check them all with a magnet as some steel cases get brass camouflage. Presort for Berdan primed or cracks, etc.

Keep an eye out for anything with a triangle on the base, Norinco. We get lots of Norinco 9mm brass down here and we have seen plenty of blow ups with it. The original factory load is plenty hot and if fired in something without a fully supported chamber it might let go next time around.

6 blowups since July last year, all on reloaded ammo, 5 definetively using that brass, the other was a total loss and not chance of finding the brass. 3 guns were Glocks Including the total loss), 1 x Para, 1 x Sig226 and 1 x S&W M&P9. All with range pickup brass from other shooters. The other 5 were repairable, all needed a new magazine.

Military brass will usually have crimped primer pockets. There is a lot of WCC (Winchester)out there but there are other suppliers as well. This is not necessarily bad; I purchased 5,000 rounds of WCC and although it is more work on the first pass to remove the crimp it sure is nice having a uniform batch of brass.

No one mentioned this so I will add. Check 9 mm brass with a magnet there is a lot of steel washed in brass out there. I had a couple of those at a major match took me out of a good finish. They have to be jack hammered out of the chamber after being fired at 180pf.

What brand would have crimped primers.

Federal also crimped the primers of their Lead free/Non-Toxic rounds and they made them in 9mm. They have a "NT" on the headstamp to signify they are non-toxic.

Neal in AZ

Too bad they didn't make a hand held quantitative crystallography machine that would tell you the amount of strain a brass case has been subjected to. It could be calibrated much like a headspace guage with three different read outs: "reload", "throw away", and "anneal."

Don't 1050s swage primer pockets automatically? That would be why people with 1050s don't have issues with NT brass. Us folks down on the other side of the steet who are stuck without a 1500$ reloading machine or are lucky enough to find it used or on sale are stuck withthe 650 and 500 or other brand that does not auto swage...

I found out recently that CBC brass is not fun to reload. I was loading a mixed bag of brass, Win, FC, RP, GFL, PMC, PPU, and not one problem. But every time I got to a CBC, it stuck on the powder die. It stuck so bad it would stop the handle from coming down and throw off my rhythm. I ended up stopping what I was doing and sorting out the rest of the CBC. Once I did that, no more problems.

That's Magtech. They seem to hate Montana Gold bullets too.

How so? I use MG 124's. I was thinking of keeping the CBC's and just loading them all together. That way at least I know every pull is going to stick. But if you are saying they don't like MG's, I'm curious why. TIA

That's Magtech. They seem to hate Montana Gold bullets too.

How so? I use MG 124's. I was thinking of keeping the CBC's and just loading them all together. That way at least I know every pull is going to stick. But if you are saying they don't like MG's, I'm curious why. TIA

Not just MG jacketed. I have the same problems with .356 Precision Moly slugs.

I think the problem is with the long bullets (147's) I load. Unless loaded really long, I get the sidewall of the case bulging out. The loaded round will jame in most case gauges, and are +/- in a glock factory chamber.

I ditch CBC cases.

Thanks, GMiprod, on the info on the Norinco cases. I will discard what I found recently (I sort by headstamp on everything except practice ammo).

Don't 1050s swage primer pockets automatically? That would be why people with 1050s don't have issues with NT brass. Us folks down on the other side of the steet who are stuck without a 1500$ reloading machine or are lucky enough to find it used or on sale are stuck withthe 650 and 500 or other brand that does not auto swage...

Yes, the 1050 has a swage station, after deprime/resize. I've loaded both 9mm and 45 NT brass. Most go through without an issue, but I crush about 1 primer per 300 rounds while loaded 45 NT.

Seiichi