Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ramped barrel for a40?

twister

I have both a curent STI Trojan and an older blued Dan Wesson Pointman in 40 S&W. The STI has a ramped barrel and the DW has a barrel without ramp. The DW sometimes has hiccups with JHP but other wise functions flawlessly. The STI experienced hiccups with a wide variety of bullet shapes.

I also have a PO16-40Limited witha ramped barrel which has been very reliable with a wide variety of bullet shapes.

Edited by TonyT

I have a custom single stack in 40 with a no ramp barrel. To-date with 6,300 rounds down the pipe, no problems whatsoever. For my gun specifically, zero problems as long as I don't use hollow points. IMHO 40 S&W hollow points create feed problems with both ramped & unramped barrels.

Carmoney:

Don't need a good throat job. Just happens that I get hicups once in a while with hollow points (might just be using the wrong hollow points or incorrect OAL for my particular gun). Lucky you if you don't ever have any hicups with hollow points. In my limited knowledge & match participation people do have hicups using 40 S&W hollow points.

Edited by 40S&W

Carmoney:

Don't need a good throat job. Just happens that I get hicups once in a while with hollow points (might just be using the wrong hollow points or incorrect OAL for my particular gun). Lucky you if you don't ever have any hicups with hollow points. In my limited knowledge & match participation people do have hicups using 40 S&W hollow points.

If a .40 SS (or 2011) with a ramped barrel is built right, it will feed anything. Mine will feed empty cases...hollow points aren't even a challenge. I honestly can't remember the last time I had a malfunction in a match, or practice...

If a .40 SS (or 2011) with a ramped barrel is built right, it will feed anything. Mine will feed empty cases...hollow points aren't even a challenge. I honestly can't remember the last time I had a malfunction in a match, or practice...

Absolutely. And if the gun is set up properly, JHPs will run perfectly in a .40 SS with an unramped barrel also.

In fact, JHPs are all I shoot in my .40 competition guns!

I wouldn't own a .40 without a ramp. Of the three most common caliber 1911s, it's the worst, and there aren't really any round nose bullets for it like there are for 9mm and .45.

I do think that with perfect geometry, magazines that hold the bullet pretty high, etc., it could be decently reliable, but I wouldn't bother risking it. .40 1911s are finicky enough.