Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing PractiScore

Brian N.

Speaking of shooter cards... There is an experimental feature built in Android version. So, if your device has camera, you can try the following.

Install ZXing Bar Code Scanner app [1]

Using ZXing Web based QRCode generator [2] create an URL QR code for URL like psc:John:Smith:Poduction:Minor

You should get a QRCode like this:

post-21787-0-26284500-1377193506_thumb.p

Now open Bar Code Scanner app on your Android device and scan this code (can just scan above picture) and then click "Open Browser" button.

It should open PractiScore app on add new shooter screen with shooter's information filled in.

You can print such QRCodes on business card size cards and ask your regular shooter bring them to registration. They can even use Android app [3] to generate QRCode right on device, so you can scan it right from the screen.

We should probably finalize this feature and have it in the ios app too...

[1] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.zxing.client.android

[2] http://zxing.appspot.com/generator

[3] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nb.qrcode.gen

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ken/Eugine,

Any idea when the iOS version will post an update to keep up with the new Android features like Steel Challenge? We use iPads for master devices, and can't setup matches using the new features (still using bastardized time plus to do steel).

Just wondering after our steel match today.

Keep up the good work.

PS RULES>

Mark K

Ken/Eugine,

Any idea when the iOS version will post an update to keep up with the new Android features like Steel Challenge? We use iPads for master devices, and can't setup matches using the new features (still using bastardized time plus to do steel).

Keep up the good work.

PS RULES>

Mark K

+1...same here, we are prepping to start using it but need iOS support for the master we have designated for it.

Thanks again you guys for all the support and a great product!

Ken/Eugine,

Keep up the good work.

PS RULES>

Mark K

+1...same here, we are prepping to start using it but need iOS support for the master we have designated for it.

Thanks again you guys for all the support and a great product!

Adding it for iOS is planned, but frankly, probably not til after Nationals.

Ken N.

From the crash reports you sent earlier it looks like one of your shoters has some stage marked as dnf, that is already fixed for 1.2.3 version.

Yes, we had three shooters marked as DNF

As a workaround you can delete those shooters or replace dnf with 30sec penalties... so you could see results now.

From the crash reports you sent earlier it looks like one of your shoters has some stage marked as dnf, that is already fixed for 1.2.3 version.

Yes, we had three shooters marked as DNF

As a workaround you can delete those shooters or replace dnf with 30sec penalties... so you could see results now.

Yeah I deleted them. Be glad when the DNF feature is fixed, because we have a fair number of folks that shoot are steel matches that can't stay for the entire match, but do want to see how they did on the stages they shot and if i delete them, they aren't in the final results.

So, instead of trying to sync my Nooks with my PC via the app or SD card, I cabled them together, Thank you THi sis the way to go.

Had a couple odd things, probably becasue I can't read the 1000's of posts and make heads or tails out of them. One, we had a stage that had the wrong number of steel. no problem, except that when we changed the steel to the correct number, all the shooters updated proerly except for one squad, they all had NPM for the additional steel. We only use Squad 1 so it wasn't that as an issue. I simply corrected it in EZwin.

Other situation was better, had two too many targets on a stage, scored shooter number one, gave him two mikes for each non-existant target, modified the stage and the last two targets simply went away. In both cases, there was a bit of a glitch sysncing to the main Nook. Had to correct the stages there as the corrections didn't flow in when syncing.

Couple things I'd like to see and mayber they are already here: Lock the Nook so that a reshoot or edit can not be made without the RM unlocking he unit. DQ doesn't move forward to EZwin. Selecting the wrong shooter, sometimes I can back out, other times I have to save as a dnf and change it later. Problem if the lock feature were there. It would be nice if the results screen were in larger type. I can nott see anything that small!

All in all, I really like this system.

Jim, regarding the small type -- you've encountered one reason most of us are using an Ipad or proper Android "master" device (phone, tablet) for viewing and managing the match data instead of doing everything on the Nooks. I view the Nooks as strictly data collection devices, and use my smartphone for all moves/adds/changes, etc. On a "smart" device you can easily zoom in and scroll around the results screen, but not so much on the Nooks.

Building the match is Ok, updating things is OK, the ohly problem I have with view is the results, just WAY TOO SMALL.

Another option I'd like it the ability to LOCK the orientation so that people can't switch it over to landscape.

As I get more familiar with this, I will likley have other comments. Now I have to look at updating to the newest issue of PS, still running 1.11 or something like that. How ready for prime time is the newest issue anyways?????

Another option I'd like it the ability to LOCK the orientation so that people can't switch it over to landscape.

Orientation change has been locked in 1.2.2, but now we are getting complains from users of android tables with hardware keyboards...

On the other hand, you can disable screen orientation change for entire device in system settings of from notification area (not really relevant to Nooks).

Speaking of shooter cards... There is an experimental feature built in Android version. So, if your device has camera, you can try the following.

Install ZXing Bar Code Scanner app [1]

Using ZXing Web based QRCode generator [2] create an URL QR code for URL like psc:John:Smith:Poduction:Minor

You should get a QRCode like this:

attachicon.gifqrcode.png

Now open Bar Code Scanner app on your Android device and scan this code (can just scan above picture) and then click "Open Browser" button.

It should open PractiScore app on add new shooter screen with shooter's information filled in.

You can print such QRCodes on business card size cards and ask your regular shooter bring them to registration. They can even use Android app [3] to generate QRCode right on device, so you can scan it right from the screen.

We should probably finalize this feature and have it in the ios app too...

[1] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.zxing.client.android

[2] http://zxing.appspot.com/generator

[3] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nb.qrcode.gen

I tried this with "Barcode Scanner" and it worked like a charm...came in as psc:Eugene:Kuleshov:Production:Minor

Classification would be good to add to the QRCode.

Question: Do we need the psc: in front of the info? I assume yes.

I tried this with "Barcode Scanner" and it worked like a charm...came in as psc:Eugene:Kuleshov:Production:Minor

Like I said, it is experimental thing and we'll have to finslize qrcode format between ios and android... so things may change.

The psc: prefix is a custom protocol that I quickly hooked app to (instead of http:) and we could use any other thing.

Like I said, it is experimental thing and we'll have to finslize qrcode format between ios and android... so things may change.

The psc: prefix is a custom protocol that I quickly hooked app to (instead of http:) and we could use any other thing.

You can leave it as psc, I was just curious as to why it was included. Guess you have to hook it to Practiscore somehow. I wanted to make sure I needed it when building the QR Code list. If it's going to change I'll hold off for match purposes. I will play with it though.

This app just keeps getting better by the day...Thanks guys.

I ran across a scoring issue in Practiscore last week -- I've run through the math and it looks like PS is calculating the hit factor wrong -- EZWin and my calculator says it should be 1.9136

Am I missing something?

Screenshot_2013-08-26-21-07-22.png

EDIT: This is from a match last weekend, running on 1.2.? on Android (whatever was current at that time).

Edited by jester121

It looks like you have a value of '8' keyed into the 'additional penalties' box. You might have keyed 8 into that box thinking it was the regular -10 valued penalties box. It isn't. 'additional penalties' is pure points, commonly used for a handicap penalty. Maybe failure to reload, plus extra shot and extra hit?

Western Nevada Pistol League launches Practiscore Sunday Sept 1 for the USPSA club match, this month we will score IDPA, 3Gun, 22- Two gun match using 2 Ipads, master and backup, 7 nooks 5 for scoring 2 backup, and a WiFi system that covers all are bays. Wish us well. A big thank you to MGM for the sponsoring of this fine program and to Ken and the niftybites crew for the ongoing efforts and design. No more sitting in the metal sweat box (Club house) punching numbers on the PC. Life is good.

It looks like you have a value of '8' keyed into the 'additional penalties' box. You might have keyed 8 into that box thinking it was the regular -10 valued penalties box. It isn't. 'additional penalties' is pure points, commonly used for a handicap penalty. Maybe failure to reload, plus extra shot and extra hit?

You're correct, I went back in PS and whoever was scoring must have fat-fingered on the scoring screen. We don't use that for scoring at our matches and there was no notation of procedurals on the backup sheet, so I'll chalk it up as user error.