Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing PractiScore

Brian N.

I just submitted a bug report on the website with some ideas for the annoying "cannot export results when squad # = zero" problem that I fight with every month.

Amen...I asked about this issue month ago and I still have to deal with it. My fix was to put squad 99 on my spreadsheet I use to import registered shooters. When I manually enter walk-ons, I make sure to put them on squad 99 also.

Not sure why squad zero fails to export, but seems like easy to fix that just doesn't get fixed.

I don't delete my no-shows, at least not immediately. Instead, I slam them over into squad 99 where no one will ever go looking for them. Then if one of them DOES show up late and begs entry into the match, it's really not that big of a deal. I just tell them to go find a stage and from there going forward, tell the RO to find and score them in squad 99. Later in the afternoon, after there's no possibility of any more no-shows dragging in, I go ahead and mark them as deleted in the master iPad; they stay where they are on the stage nooks.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had an issues at our Classifier Match on Sunday. We do a spreadsheet import of the shooters and then I'll run Update Classification on PS. In the past it's worked to correctly update a shooters classification, but yesterday I ran it several times, both on iOS and Android and it failed to update a handful of folks.

Of the 70 shooters we had, most gave us their correct classification during preregistration, but a few switched division the morning of the match or signed up that morning and in the rush to get everyone register we did not bother to ask for their classification.

As an example we had a shooter preregister to shoot Production, with a classification of D. She decided that morning to shoot L10, where she is unclassified. So I changed just the division for her on PS. After run the Update Classification, it showed her classification for L10 as D.

Another example was a shooter that did not preregister and signed up that morning wanting to shoot Production. I entered him, but left his classification as U and after the Update Classification it was still U even though he is C class in Production.

Feedback needed:

I'm considering adding an option hit factor match target scoring that minimizes the data entry and also could fit largely in one screeen (easier to see):

A B C D M NPM NS

22 0 0 0 0 0 0

When the RO calls 2 Alpha, do nothing. Alpha Charlie, increment Charlie:

A B C D M NPM NS

21 0 1 0 0 0 0

And so on. The reason is two fold:

- on the Nook, scrolling paging of targets for scoring is odd due to Nook scrolling being different.

- and it might be faster

- it could be much bigger and easier to see on old eyes or in bright sun

Thoughts?

Ken N.

Edited by Ken N.

Ken,

I don't know how many times I've been interrupted while scoring a stage. Usually I can just get with the RO on the clipboard and say that we should be (for instance) on T7. They can confirm and we can continue to score from the proper target. That would be lost with the increment method.

I agree wholeheartedly with Flex -- if it's a buried option, fine, but I'd prefer the default be to keep things as they are. I think we'd end up with far too many erroneous 2A targets ending up in the final results, and that kind of thing doesn't inspire confidence we're trying to build in Practiscore tablet scoring system-wide.

With 3 blank lines at the bottom of a 32 round field course, we can usually figure out which targets should be left to score. Without that, I foresee unhappiness.

I think it's cool you are looking at ways to improve this Ken but I would vote with Flex and Jester. I can just see too many problems with this method. Besides, just tell them to get some Nexus tablets and scroll away :)

Not a good idea...Like Flex said...too many interruptions during scoring and you would need to start all over.

I don't have any problems scrolling the Nooks...just press the buttons left and right of screen.

The vertical side frames of the face of the nook have vertical grooves that mark page-up and page-down buttons. It's far easier than trying to swipe the screen and screwing up hits...

I've actually considered breaking out the label maker and tagging the buttons, they're easy to miss.

Had an issues at our Classifier Match on Sunday. We do a spreadsheet import of the shooters and then I'll run Update Classification on PS. In the past it's worked to correctly update a shooters classification, but yesterday I ran it several times, both on iOS and Android and it failed to update a handful of folks.

Of the 70 shooters we had, most gave us their correct classification during preregistration, but a few switched division the morning of the match or signed up that morning and in the rush to get everyone register we did not bother to ask for their classification.

As an example we had a shooter preregister to shoot Production, with a classification of D. She decided that morning to shoot L10, where she is unclassified. So I changed just the division for her on PS. After run the Update Classification, it showed her classification for L10 as D.

Another example was a shooter that did not preregister and signed up that morning wanting to shoot Production. I entered him, but left his classification as U and after the Update Classification it was still U even though he is C class in Production.

I will log the bug as suggested, but I think I've found the problem. Our MD built a spreadsheet with all the competitors and that import file contained the Class for each shooter. Several shooters on the day of the match changed division, which was updated in the spreadsheet, but the class was never changed to reflect their classification for that division.

As an example, Shoot X is in the spreadsheet to shoot Production with a class of C. He decides to shoot L10, which is he is U. The division on the spreadsheet was changed, but the class field was left as C and not changed to U.

The spreadsheet was imported, building the shooters. I then ran the Update Classification function which did not correct those shooters with incorrect classifications from the spreadsheet.

In the future, I'll have the MD not include the Class field in the spreadsheet, do the import to build the shooters in PS, then run Update Classification to set each shooters correct classification for the division they are shooting.

It is possible that Android version may not correcting classification for unclassified shooters. I will have to test that...

It would not work on my iPhone or Android device. If the correct class was U, the Update Classification function would not override the class imported from the spreadsheet.

Edited by jdphotoguy

That is why I asked for the match export file or spreadsheet you've used for registration. :)

It is also possible there is something with uspsa number for those competitors.

That is why I asked for the match export file or spreadsheet you've used for registration. :)

It is also possible there is something with uspsa number for those competitors.

I included in the bug report the match export file and the import spreadsheet, along with the names of the shooters not correctly updated.

Buttons do that? I'm going to get a Nook out and see what it is you are talking about. I don't use them much, but I have done 4 or 5 matches with them as tests and never noticed that.

I can't believe you didn't know about these hardware scrolling buttons on Nooks. :)

And while we are at it, in 1.2 android version there is a new and bigger "Back" button in the top left corner. Should help people with bigger fingers. Though I've been told it is hard to notice it.

BTW, your target scoring idea could be useful for entering scores from the paper scoresheets (for those who can't or don't want to use devices at stages). Similar to what ezws has.

About the shooter classifications...No matter what I put in classifications in competitor registrations, the classifications always come across into EZWinscore as U, then before I calculate score in EXWin, I get the classification update file from USPSA and they all change to what the actual classes should be.

I just got so accustom to doing that, I didn't think it was a issue.

About the shooter classifications...No matter what I put in classifications in competitor registrations, the classifications always come across into EZWinscore as U, then before I calculate score in EXWin, I get the classification update file from USPSA and they all change to what the actual classes should be.

I just got so accustom to doing that, I didn't think it was a issue.

The import code for ezwinscore was written for Palms using stagescore or that other australian system. It doesn't bring over classifications at all; it never did. Apparently no one cared about classifications on the palms, so that isn't a practiscore issue. Just keep running a classification update and uspsa# verification when you bring the match back into ezws.

I can't believe you didn't know about these hardware scrolling buttons on Nooks. :)

I can believe it. Those aren't buttons. Rather, they look like decorative finger grip ridges to me. They're very hard to press. I think it's easy to mistake those as non-functional. That's what I thought until Chris told me.

PractiScore 1.2 for Android is posted to PS web site. It may take some time to propagate to Google Play.

The main change in this version is Steel Challenge support with per-string penalties.

NOTE: you won't be able to sync SC matches with current iOS version.

You can see complete change log on PS web site at https://practiscore.com/

I looked at the change log and noticed that not all of the issued associated with Fixed Time stages are resolved. Most importantly, the bug associated with the shooting penalties getting stripped off when you import the results into EzWinScore. Was this issue fixed but is just not listed in the change log?

Feedback needed:

I'm considering adding an option hit factor match target scoring that minimizes the data entry and also could fit largely in one screeen (easier to see):

A B C D M NPM NS

22 0 0 0 0 0 0

When the RO calls 2 Alpha, do nothing. Alpha Charlie, increment Charlie:

A B C D M NPM NS

21 0 1 0 0 0 0

And so on. The reason is two fold:

- on the Nook, scrolling paging of targets for scoring is odd due to Nook scrolling being different.

- and it might be faster

- it could be much bigger and easier to see on old eyes or in bright sun

Thoughts?

Ken N.

I have to say I intensely dislike this idea. If you choose to support it, make it an option in the match configuration. I can assure you, I'd NEVER use it.

Edited by jcwren