Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing PractiScore

Brian N.

Just finished making some tweaks to our stage summary scoring sheet, here's a PDF. Also including the MS Publisher file.

Here's the layout we use, folding the sheet as needed to fit on the legal size clipboard.

image.png

Publisher file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/seo1glsq0mcata6/Nook%20Stage%20Scoring%20-%20score%20sheet.pub

Nook Stage Scoring - score sheet.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We did a match last night with PS V1.1.5 last night on Nooks and ran into a strange change in operation while scoring. When scoring the stage the digit keyboard would stay up and block the Target inputs. If you scrolled up or down it would only show about 4 rows of targets to score at once and would cut one target row in half. We found out in the middle of the match that if you tapped on the "Back" circle arrow button on the top middle of the screen it would close the digit keyboard so you could see all of the target rows as you should be able to.

Why does the digit keyboard persist like this in the new V1.1.5 version? Tapping on the "Back" circle arrow button to make it go away is not very intuitive. The digit keyboard has an "Enter" button, why not make the keyboard close when you tap the "Enter" button? That would make more logical sense than having to tap the "back" button.

At the Cowtown classic this past weekend, there were numerous issues with the nooks, don't know why, I am not a techy, but it was frustrating. I did see something I liked. they took a clipboard, and put velcro on the bottom half, attached the nook to that. the 1/4 page NCR paper was under the clip part. made transferring and double checking the scores real easy, didn't have to go back to a table or bring in a 3rd party.

We did a match last night with PS V1.1.5 last night on Nooks and ran into a strange change in operation while scoring. When scoring the stage the digit keyboard would stay up and block the Target inputs. If you scrolled up or down it would only show about 4 rows of targets to score at once and would cut one target row in half. We found out in the middle of the match that if you tapped on the "Back" circle arrow button on the top middle of the screen it would close the digit keyboard so you could see all of the target rows as you should be able to.

Why does the digit keyboard persist like this in the new V1.1.5 version? Tapping on the "Back" circle arrow button to make it go away is not very intuitive. The digit keyboard has an "Enter" button, why not make the keyboard close when you tap the "Enter" button? That would make more logical sense than having to tap the "back" button.

Cha-Lee. This was fixed in 1.1.6 version we posted last Monday. I will be posting 1.1.8 with some timeplus fixes within next few days.

Anyhow, that issue is only with Nooks. I don't know why, but its keyboard won't go away on Enter (it is system thing). I had to work it around specifically for Nook.

At the Cowtown classic this past weekend, there were numerous issues with the nooks, don't know why, I am not a techy, but it was frustrating. I did see something I liked. they took a clipboard, and put velcro on the bottom half, attached the nook to that. the 1/4 page NCR paper was under the clip part. made transferring and double checking the scores real easy, didn't have to go back to a table or bring in a 3rd party.

Can you find out what the issues were? Folks here can probably answer your questions.

Can you find out what the issues were? Folks here can probably answer your questions.

I attended this match and noticed a couple of issues. What I seen was primarily dust issues on the screen. The screen would get dusty and it would produce inconsistent input results. This is a known issue with the Nooks. They don't work well in the dust or rain due to the style of screen they have.

The other little issues I seen were more of a lack of experience or training with the PractiScore/Nook solution. Such as fixing an invalid target score, paging up or down, or things like that. This kind of stuff only gets "Fixed" with proper training and experience.

This is just my view of the situation as a competitor. There may have been other issues that I didn't see.

We just posted version 1.1.9 for Android. It includes few fixes for annoyances with keyboard on Nook as well as fix for issue with exiting without making changes.

Edited by euxx

We ran our first full match with the Nooks, no issues other than the learning curve and sign up / squading.

We're working on a pre-registration but any tips for signing people up using a single point for sign ups?

I thought about importing an excel spreadsheet but that means I have to cart my laptop and I would rather not do that.

I have all our regular shooters in but almost everyone shoots every division at some time or the other and most shoot twice at each match so we run the match as A & B.

Getting help right now is not an option either till they get the basics down.

I am setting everything up on my iPad so that is saving some time.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Tips on registration...

- biggest tip - don't use a Nook. It's fine as a scoring device, but too slow and awkward for registration. Use iPad, iPad mini, or a solid Android tablet, like a Galaxy or Nexus.

- you can register on multiple devices. Make the match, sync clients to it. Then register on multiple devices and sync.

- don't hold up moving to shoot for registering on the PractiScore device. Send the squads off, there is PLENTY of time to add shooters as 1st stages happen.
Put another way, you can add shooters any time, on any device. You can even add them twice, and merge them when you synch later.

Ken N.

We just loaded the 1.1.9 on our Nooks and did a test USPSA match and we noticed something strange. On the Scoring screen there is an "Additional Penalties" box below the target rows. It has a +/- box to add or subtract these penalties. Just for grins we added some of these Additional Penalty errors to the results and it affected the calculated hit factor only slightly, like 0.2 HF.

I am assuming this is a bug in the code were a Time Plus type of scoring thing is getting pulled into a normal USPSA match scoring process.

Charlie, that box always been there. I just moved it to the bottombto separate it out from regular procedural penalties. It represent adjustment penalties, eg. disabled competitor can't do proper course of fire, so he is allowed to have some deviation for certain percentage of score. Historically additional penalties just subtract result number of stage points. Ken said he used it at A1 match few times.

It's also used in USPSA Multigun Hit Factor scoring when pistol is major and rifle is minor - count of non-A rifle hits.

Oh thank god, we don't have to do THAT fuster-cluck manual procedure anymore. Just define your match as multi gun and define a given stage with whichever guns are used in it with separate powerfactors, and you'll see separate a/b/c/d/etc boxes for each firearm on the stage.

Ok, I guess that box is new to me. To test it out I added some additional penalties to a couple of stage results and it did change the hit factor slightly on the nook. When I uploaded the scores into EzWinScore the additional penalties didn't show up and the original hit factor (before adding the additional penalties) showed up. Should these additional penalties show up on a USPSA Pistol match? Or is EzWinScore ignoring this data point because its a pistol match?

Charlie, it is there to support rule 10.2.10.2 of the current uspsa rule book. Same as in ezws entered value is subtracted from stage points. I don't think value is passed to ezws, it wasn't in the palm app.

FYI.... http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=174512

My son has made 13 of these for iPad Minis. We will use them at A1 next week. They work really well. I tested them poolside, and also at the range all day today in bright sunshine. I had no trouble seeing the iPad screen, or manipulating the iPad for scoring.

He makes them generic enough so that any 7' tablet will work. We velcro the iPad mini into the "practiShade" for a bit of extra security.

Ken N.

We ran a USPSA match yesterday on Nooks running 1.1.9. The USPSA classifier now comes across into EZWinscore as a classifier without need to modify the stage before passing in the scores. ;)

However, the same bug before, the classifications still come across as U and you need to update classifications from USPSA. :(

The new layout/processing took a few scorers by surprise, but they caught on pretty fast.

I have a question about looking at the raw scoring data when using a Match Type of Time Plus.

When using USPSA Pistol as the Match Type you can select Sync, then Export Match Stages & Scores and parse the Scores_P.txt file to see the raw scoring data. Is there a way to do something like that when doing a Time Plus match?

The reason I ask is we run two Outlaw Steel matches a month using PS with Match Type set to Time Plus. Today we had a few human errors scoring. Basically someone forgot to zero the worst run of five runs and also entering a time over 30 seconds for a run. Short of looking at every shooters scores for every stage there is no easy way to spot this problem.

I was made aware of the scoring errors by a shooter looking at her individual stage scores via PS.

After every match we allow shooters to Sync the match to their phones.

However, the same bug before, the classifications still come across as U and you need to update classifications from USPSA. :(

That's probably NOT going to be fixed and it isn't a practiscore problem. People scoring matches with palm and stagescore experience the same thing. Very simply, practiscore uses the same ezwinscore data path that was written for the palms and classifiers is not one of the things that are brought over. (Neither are DQ's.) And really, it's not a big deal to do a classifier update once you get your match back into ezws, you just have to remember to do it.

...And really, it's not a big deal to do a classifier update once you get your match back into ezws, you just have to remember to do it.

yea...and if you don't remember to do it...the shooters will let you know once you send out scores for review. :roflol:

See there is a new version of PS for iOS and in the What's New Section on iTunes it mentions "added a registration download option from clubs.practiscore.com", interesting.

Yes - this is a new feature we've put in for those who pre-register on clubs.practiscore.com. For instance, I just snatched down 450+ shooters for Area 1 with a button click.

It will be part of the beta test for practiscore.com we will release after A1 this week.

I will be consumed with that match this week, so slow responses here. (-:

Ken N.

See there is a new version of PS for iOS and in the What's New Section on iTunes it mentions "added a registration download option from clubs.practiscore.com", interesting.

Yes - this is a new feature we've put in for those who pre-register on clubs.practiscore.com. For instance, I just snatched down 450+ shooters for Area 1 with a button click.

It will be part of the beta test for practiscore.com we will release after A1 this week.

Ken N.

Bringing my iPad to loan. Should be a good match.

Ken N.

That's very exciting. Can't wait to see this feature!