Introducing PractiScore

Brian N.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought about leaving this alone. I can't. Not this.

Bill, you can ask wathever you want, but at the end you'll be using what Ken will decide. :devil:

Now THAT is a HELL OF A THING for a vendor to say to a customer! :angry:

Maybe 20 years ago when, as a mainframe systems programmer, I could declare "you WILL use my system the way I determine you will", that could work. Hell, it did work; I was one of them. But not anymore! It took 10 years at my current job to get that attitude painfully beaten out of me, but they did it and they were right. We in IT don't get to stand on top of Olympus anymore slinging lightning bolts at our huddled masses of users, declaring in a booming voice "DO THIS!"

You find out instead what your users want to help them pursue THEIR goals and then you give it to them.

Bill, I don't EVEN have to use ezws. It is not an approved scoring app in my region. :)

You're not just writing for Canada. May I strongly suggest you get a copy of ezwinscore, install it, use it, and learn something about what your USPSA customers are doing to put on their matches.

Vendor? Dude, I am doing this in my own time without any compensation for my time and energy as my contribution back to the shooting community. I do work on Ken's project but my opinions are just that. They are mine.

Now, after reading your rude remarks for quite a while I think I will have to shift priorities.

...You don't even HAVE a copy of ezwinscore, do you? Steel has been listed on the bottom for decades!

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-08-09 at 5.19.40 PM.png

Bill,

My old USPSA score sheets had steel listed at the top...Easy to know if the steel fell during the stage, enter them and move on to targets.

I don't think USPSA was correct is this order and they definitely weren't correct in the order of the EZWin Match-Handheld-Import Palm Data screen we still use today. I complained about the button order on that screen a few years ago and it's still out of order.

Just sayin'

MarkR

I don't remember DOS EzScore scoresheets; not even sure it could produce them or if it did, they might have been awful. But I assure you ezws has been putting steel at the bottom since V1.0, and they based that on the scoresheets at the 2000 Nationals/Pan Am. My philosophy towards scoresheets and anything related to putting on a match is "why re-invent what already exists?" So I use the ezws-produced scoresheets whenever I can. So if you saw scoresheets with steel at the top, that particular match designed their own, which of course they can do so.

As to the Palm Data Import window, yeah, I see what you mean. You'd rather have the pecking order something like (this is a total guess) "add walkins", "export registration", "import stages", "import scores"? I can see that. USPSA can be difficult to deal with in that regard, too. But at least Roger and Rob don't...... well, never mind. (And if we're going to beat on ezws foibles, it should probably be in a different topic.)

Edited by wgnoyes

Yes, "vendor". Paid or not, you are representing Niftybytes as a Practiscore developer whether you think so or not.

I may be speaking out of turn here but I'm pretty sure if you're unhappy with the product or the service you can return it for a full refund.

Bill, your comments are getting out of order to someone who is trying to help us. Forum rules do not allow this behavior and if we don't police ourselves, we will get this thread closed. Please stop and try to keep things polite and professional. I appreciate your experience and knowledge so please help us all get better in a more constructive way, please. Thanks.

I took the original comment as one in jest, which sometimes doesn't come across electronically. Remember, smile when you read, smile when you write, and never assume it's personal!

Sure, I'm the one who decides ultimately, because somebody has to. I know in all conversations we have (Eugene, Devin, Bryan, Dave and myself), we mainly talk about users and their needs and how what we are considering effects them.

I care, somewhat, about what ezWS does, somewhat about what ForScore does, somewhat about what WinMSS does, and somewhat about ezSteel, and slightly less about what a zillion custom spreadsheets do. They are useful from looking at how problems were solved in the past. The target scoring interface for PS looks a lot like the StageScore system cause it was brilliant (especially when considering the platform). And there is an IDPA clubs website that I consider the definitive slicing and dicing of that games data.

But ultimately, I want the right longer term answer, whatever that is. If that means there will be some change over discomfort, that will be factored in, but current practice isn't decisively preferred.

Ken N.

The search box in the upper right of the results page searches on match title. So it's a good practice to include the club name in the match title.
For instance, my clubs is "SUPS match title". Type in sups, and you see them all.

This will change in the relatively near future. You will be able to search on match details too, like club number, competitors, match type (IDPA, USPSA, Multigun).

We will also likely start having a separate address to filter it down a it from the start:

uspsa.practiscore.com
3gn.practiscore.com
idpa.practiscore.com

and when you do our clubs.practiscore.com program, your club will have a link:

like sups.practiscore.com

The web part of our gang is busy on another (real work) project, but we hope to have that stuff in before Nationals.

Ken N.

I suppose we could validate the club code in the result posting against the USPSA list, IPSC list, 3GN list, and SCSA list.

The other thing, though, I neglected to mention, was geographic search. So "show results near me" or "near Toledo".

In practice, only stats guys and club presidents know their club code (well more, but not many more). So I want the searching to be on people, location, club name. Things the common shooter will find.

Ken N.

In other news, Rio Salado had a successul launch of PractiScore at their weekly match. They've put a lot of effort into getting the range and infrastructure right. We got some feedback and will be making changes to support the open squadding model they use.

Ken N.

Ken - since Maine Practical Shooters stated using Practiscore last August, I've incorporated the initials MPS in each match name to allow our shooters to search on that and see a list of all past matches at our club.

Lee

FYI... I just submitted and paid for the first activity report directly from PractiScore - for an all classifier match my club ran recently. :D

Should be in next iOS release.

Ken N.

Bingo! that's the missing piece right there sir :goof:

does this also include having the full match results show up on USPSA.org? I can see the EZWinScore dance ending on the horizon and I can't wait :cheers:

FYI... I just submitted and paid for the first activity report directly from PractiScore - for an all classifier match my club ran recently. :D

Ken N.

Will an Android capability be on the horizon? Or should I just breakdown and get an iOS tablet? I'm using an Android tablet now for a master...much cheaper.

Ken N.

Will an Android capability be on the horizon? Or should I just breakdown and get an iOS tablet? I'm using an Android tablet now for a master...much cheaper.

Same here...might pick up an iOS device if it's needed.

Ken...since it was an all classifier, will a regular match with a single classifier be any different? Thanks for all the work on this!

It is been stated multiple times that the goal to have same features supported on both platforms. But there are multiple factors that could affect time when certain features get implemented.