Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing PractiScore

Brian N.

Bug Alert....

Do NOT delete stages after scoring begins.

I presume this is specific only to iOS app...

Don't know. The root cause was pretty deep, and probably iOS. But when Devin's back, review it with him, or maybe look at the checkin that fixed it to see if it raises an alarm on Android for you.

Ken N.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would like to make a request to change the presentation of the "Additional Penalties" section at the bottom of the target scoring screen. I have noticed a reoccurring theme of RO's misunderstanding what the "Additional Penalties" section is for and using it incorrectly or accidentally hitting it while scoring. Given the very rare instance when an "Additional Penalty" would need to be assessed it would work better if it was made more difficult to actually input data for this type of penalty. Maybe we could remove the dedicated "Additional Penalties" line and incorporate it into the normal "Procedurals" line some how. Such as pressing and holding the "Procedurals" text activates the "Additional Penalties" line item or something like that?

I have seen the following scenario happen several times first hand. Competitor shoots a stage and runs past a target incurring an FTE procedural. RO's start scoring the stage and when they get to the target that was not shot they discuss and assess the FTE procedural and it just so happens that the bottom of the target scoring screen is showing the "Additional Penalty" line so they input "1" in that field. Now this shooter has an invalid score because the RO input the procedural penalty into the Additional Penalty field.

I fully understand that this is a training issue. But if we can make the software more "Monkey Proof" by minimizing the chance of data being input incorrectly its a win for everyone.

For additional USPSA penalties, given that they usually require RM/CRO approval, I am thinking of moving them into the Review scores screen... Now waiting on Devin and Ken to agree.

This is on my "scoring changes short list" after Area 1, where it came up. Shooter had 6 procedurals, but was issued 6 additional penalty points - big improvement!

Yes, it's a training thing, but monkey proof is the goal.

I'll get offline with Devin/Eugene to sort it out. I'm favoring, though, not messing with review screen, and instead requiring confirmation "This is NOT for Procedurals - see above box entitled "Procedural". Additional Penalties are issued by Rangemaster and are quite rare. Are you sure?".

BTW: Cha-Lee, I did get your feeback after Area 1- and thanks. I was in decompress mode and haven't formally responded. I went on to 8 days at Ironman shortly afterward. So I'm still decompressing... But it was welcome, and I will get with you on it.

Ken N.

• 4 weeks later...

Ken -- just sent you an email but thought I might ask here. Have you thought of putting in a place for the WSB in practiscore. I am aware of USPSA rule 3.2.1 but I still think it would be useful and would allow us to go completely paperless.

Just a thought.

Thanks for your great app!!

Ken-

I was one of the R.O.s at NW Multigun in Bend, Or .First time using PractiScore and I must say, I was impressed! I brought it up at our 3gun meeting here in Grants Pass after I got back, and everyone on the board liked the idea of incorporating it into our local matches. Good job and THANK YOU for the cool app!

Tom (stage 7 RO, the big hairy guy) :goof:

• 2 weeks later...

Updated my scoring units tonight as I have not done so in quite some time....no need as everything ran perfectly. Started registration for next Satruday and when I pulled up the stored shooters their USPSA numbers were no longer in the units. Anyone else come across this?

Randal

this may not be the correct thread to ask this...

After we complete a match and sync all the scores up we have trouble downloading them to a chip to transfer them to EzWin. Sounds crazy, but if I try it about half-dozen times it finally exports the scores to the card.

Ideas?

Are you exporting the results file using one of the Nooks, or do you have a master Android or IOS device?

It's crucial to make a note of the location where the file is stored -- it can be confusing to navigate through the Nook's file system if you don't know exactly where you're going. It's entirely possible the results are being exported but not to the location where you think it should be.

Am I missing something obvious, or does PS have no way to delete (i.e. mark as DEL) a competitor from a match? We always have a few no shows from pre registration, I mark them as "Deleted from match" in EZWin during squadding/walk-in, and they show up as pink with a status of DEL in Practiscore. I often miss one or two no shows and unless I want to do another sync, the scorer in his squad has to know how to unsquad him or keep skipping over him.

I just submitted a bug report on the website with some ideas for the annoying "cannot export results when squad # = zero" problem that I fight with every month.

I just submitted a bug report on the website with some ideas for the annoying "cannot export results when squad # = zero" problem that I fight with every month.

Amen...I asked about this issue month ago and I still have to deal with it. My fix was to put squad 99 on my spreadsheet I use to import registered shooters. When I manually enter walk-ons, I make sure to put them on squad 99 also.

Not sure why squad zero fails to export, but seems like easy to fix that just doesn't get fixed.

Android on both the Nook and my master device (I use my smartphone, no other use for iStuff so we didn't bother).

Basically you have to go into All Competitors and tap in and out of every one of them until you find the one that's set to zero. If "someone" didn't mark them as deleted from the match before sending the match to the Nooks, it is quite tedious.

What? No no no no no :cheers: , there's a much easier way! Go into 'edit shooters/squads' and tap on 'sort' in the upper right hand corner. Set sort order to 'squad' and all the squad zero guys will appear at the top. Even if you don't sort them that way, he still shows the squad number below the name in the shooter list. You don't have to hunt and peck the way you were describing.

But you're telling me you CAN'T import squad zero competitors into ezws from an android export?