Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Securing gun while on vacation near match

For opsec reasons I don't want to give too much detail. I'm shooting a match soon, but first I have to drive there and take the family on a vacation that will take me away from my car. I have no good way to secure my competition gun, and gear, while I'm off on the vacation. I know this is vague, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to secure my gun?

Edited by Bill Schwab

Have any buddies going to the match? Have them take the gun home to their safe afterwards. Not sure the legality of that by you, but here anyone with a LTCF/CCW can "lend" another person a handgun.

Or you could take it to a shop, put it on consignment for 4x what it's worth, then pick it up after.

Just kidding

Will you be leaving the car near where the match will be? Contact the folks running the match. They may have some ideas.

Look into a safe deposit box at a local bank. You'll probably have to open an account there and pay for the box for a year but it might be worth it to you.

I am not allowed to bring guns to the vacation, per the vacation host, and I will not have a hotel while gone on vacation. Any ideas?

is this only for complete guns or also gun parts??

I was told law enforcement would be called immediately if I bring a gun near the vacation, so I don't even want to ask those specifics.

The pawn shop is actually not a bad idea. I used to use one when I was in the Army. I lived in the barracks, getting out a POW for the weekend was a PITA! I would pawn it for $100, when I wanted it for the weekend or to go shoot I would pay them $115 to get it back. The $15 was worth it. Once the CoC found out how I was able to circumvent the system they were PISSED! The less you pawn it for, the less you have to pay since there fee is % based. Just tell them you need a quick buck but will be back in 5 days (or whatever).

Or the safety deposit box.

Not a very good vacation host if you ask me.

I am not allowed to bring guns to the vacation, per the vacation host, and I will not have a hotel while gone on vacation. Any ideas?

is this only for complete guns or also gun parts??

I was told law enforcement would be called immediately if I bring a gun near the vacation, so I don't even want to ask those specifics.

Please tell me you aren't going on vacation with "friends"? I'm gonna go the opposite of what Corey said... maybe it's too much work to go on vacation with this host. Politely decline, take you're family on your own vacation and enjoy the match?

Once I divulge the vacation host it'll all make sense.

I called an FFL in the area to see if I could ship the gun to them, and pick it up before the match and they were stupidied by my question, so I called the match host and am awaiting a call back, thanks for the suggestion Flex.

I called an FFL in the area to see if I could ship the gun to them, and pick it up before the match and they were stupidied by my question, so I called the match host and am awaiting a call back, thanks for the suggestion Flex.

FFL will need to do a 4473 logging it out to you. You will need any necessary resident paper work so I doubt it can be done. You can ship to yourself c/o a member of the match staff.

from ATF FAQ (B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

edit to add: The member of the match staff must leave the package sealed and only you can open it.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Why do I get the feeling I know who the vacation host is? And the match.

If all else fails, find a friend of a friend who is going to the match and will collect your gun from an FFL (maybe even IS an FFL) and meet you at the range the first day of the match. Yes, it is a leap of faith.

Divulge already!

I am thinking Disney Cruise and Area 6 in FL. but this is just a SWAG.

If the Match Director or one of the staff you know is willing, I'd say ship it to yourself care of him/her as per the ATF info provided above and be done with it. Might be worth verifying the info of course.

It's a Disney cruise prior to the FL Open. I have a call in to Frank Garcia to see if I can ship it to him. I called Disney to see if I could give them the gun prior to boarding so they could lock it in a lockbox, after 5 minutes on hold the answer was "Definitely no, they will call the police if you come even close to the ship with a gun."

Edited by Bill Schwab

What class of gun is it?? And is your vehicle a SUV or a Car with a trunk..i was thinking if it's a production or limited gun get a lock box and hard wire it to the body down thru the spare tire holder,or if it's a SUV then most hve the HD tie downs you could hard wire a box to..and if your leaving the vehicle just be sure and pull the ECM/fuel pump fuse or relay also..just some thoughts..

I'm sure it's because of int waters but still they don't have to be like that.

Nothing to do with intl waters and everything to do with Disney being anti-gun and anti-2d Amendment.

There was a LOT of news down here about Disney trying to forbid guns on their property. They fired an employee for having a gun in his car. Disney even tried to claim they can prohibit guns because they use pyrotechnics in their firework displays. Fl law has some exemptions, but that one didn't work for Disney.

Google it.