Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rx shooting glasses recommendations

njl

For those who are using RX inserts, what type of lenses did you have put in the inserts?

The optometrist I'm using insisted on polycarb (because they're sports/safety glasses, and reasoning that polycarb will be thinner than cr39), which I thought was silly since the insert sits behind a protective lens. With the inserts in place, do you feel like your eye lashes are hitting the lenses? I guess I may have to have things adjusted a bit so the glasses don't sit quite as close to my eyes.

• 1 month later...

My Rudy Project Magsters are all setup, and I've shot one match with them, which went well. I've also been wearing them for yard work. I do like the polarized lenses for driving, but I have polarized add-ons for my regular glasses that work as well. I tried wearing the polarized RP glasses to Disney recently, and they were just a little too dark for the indoor rides.

I also had a set of Bolle T800 goggles (with RX-able insert) I'd bought years ago from Botac on sale, and I had them made up, and when I put them on, it's instant fog. As well as the RP glasses worked out, the T800 was just as disappointing.

Drop by a scuba store. They have stuff you can rub on the inside of the glasses to prevent them from fogging up. (Or you can go by the old scuba diver's standby when out of the specila stuff: spit.)

At a recent pin match, I was hit in the face with my own 230gr JHP (I picked it up and just weighed it, it didn't even lose a grain bouncing off the pin it hit). It scared the crap out of me. It hurt. It bled. But, I was really lucky. I always wear glasses to shoot (because I need them to see down range), but these are just my every day glasses. They don't give me the sort of eye coverage I'd like, and AFAIK, the lenses are plastic, and I have no idea how they'd have handled the impact.

Additionally, since I haven't had an eye exam since Clinton was president, I've decided it's time to get my prescription updated and get a few new pairs of glasses. For shooting, I think I'd really like something with lenses that have a bit of curve to them such that they really cover the eye socket. Pretty much all the ones I've seen in this style are sun glasses (some of which can be Rx'd). AFAIK, I really don't want sun glasses. Even for outdoor shooting, isn't it better to let the pupils close down as much as possible (improving depth of field)?

I've checked out a few optical shops recently, and the first frame I saw that caught my eye was a Callaway Mag 101, but I'm not sure if those are even available as anything but sun glasses. I did verify that they can be Rx'd.

So...what I'm looking for is better coverage/protection than every day glasses, but they also have to be comfortable and compatible with wearing ear muff hearing protection. Last time I looked, Oakley had some frames I liked, but they generally had very fat/contoured temples, which might interfere with muffs.

I love my ESS suppressor glasses. The temple area of the frame is flat which works great with muffs even on full day shoots. You can order rx inserts direct from the mfg and they work quite well.

• 2 weeks later...

Get a pair of Oakley M-frames with the clear hybrid lens. You can get the Rx in these as well.

I dont know if you follow baseball much, but Eric Gagne (closing pitcher in the majors) where's these same glasses. They are pretty sharp and great for sports.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd add, find an optimologist that is also a shooter. I tried explaining what I needed from a prescription stand point to my regular optimologist and she had no clue how to proceed.

It is with great frustration that I have been informed by the forum sofware that, as a new member, I don't have enough posts to be allowed to put links in my posts. Thus, I'll have to discard my carefully crafted message pointing you exactly where to go and substitute a search strategy.

Google for "Dr. Norman Wong Articles as posted to the Bullseye List" in quotes. When you find the page on the starreloaders web site, print up the PDF version of the first article and give it to your eyecare professional. If they don't have an ego problem with receiving educational tips from a patient, they'll read it and understand your needs.

The articles I'm steering you toward focus on bullseye shooting but the basic advice to eye doctors about how to help pistol shooters is valid across all disciplines, whether you use irons or red dots.

I have Oakley half-jackets that are prescription. I love them and think they are the best Rx lenses out there. They are pricey, but I've been using them for 3 years (time for a new set). I also got the ESS Rx inserts for their goggles.

• 3 months later...

I've just started wearing glasses again due to devolping a slight astigmatism although I don't strictly need presciption I am thinking about getting some. I have some oakley flak jacket sunglasses or I also have some Wiley X sunglasses that I use for other stuff. Lenses are easy to swap in either one. Does anyone know about the Wiley X ones? Are they good for shooting?

I have a pair of the Wiley X glasses, that use the optical insert, and have been using them for about a year. They are either the PT-1 or PT-3, and came with 3 interchangable "outer" lenses, clear, yellow(rust), and smoke (grey). The big advantage is having shooting glasses for different lighting conditions. If I were to purchase a pair with a fixed prescription lens in each of the 3 colors,I would have close to $1000 tied up in shooting glasses. For me, the jury is still out on the optical insert. On the Wiley-X glasses the insert brings the prescription lens pretty close to the eye, which bothers me just a little. I have seen other manufacturers glasses that move the lens further away from the eye. My suggestion is to try out several brands of glasses and see which are the most comfortable.

Go with Oakley's or Rudy's you'll be very happy. I use Oakley's . I checked into the Rudy's and they seemed very good but I've used standard Oakley's for many years so when it came time time to move on to Rx. glasses I went with the Oakley's.

Hope whatever you choose works for you. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Go with Oakley's or Rudy's you'll be very happy. I use Oakley's . I checked into the Rudy's and they seemed very good but I've used standard Oakley's for many years so when it came time time to move on to Rx. glasses I went with the Oakley's.

Hope whatever you choose works for you. Good luck.

For those of you with Oakley's, can you share what lense colors you've used? I have an "in" with Oakley, so I want to stick with that manufacturer. I shoot both indoors and out, from steel plate to 3-gun. My prescription is pretty strong, but I know they can fit it into some of the Oakley frames.

• 2 months later...

I hated my Rudy's with the insert. When sideways to the sun I would get weird reflections between the lenses. Also with two layers to look through dusty conditions are twice as bad. I've been using prescription safety glasses which are great. Full wrap. Polycarbonate lenses. Designed to take an impact and they don't move a bit when I'm sweaty.

The only issues I have with the Rudy Rx insert is I think the two layers of polycarb gives me a slightly less clear image, and when I get really sweaty, sweat in between the Rx lens and protective lens, and once in there, it doesn't come out on its own. Other than that, I've really been happy with them. I've worn them to the theme parks numerous times (with the clear lenses...the polarized sunglass ones are too dark for any of the indoor rides). I guess at some point I may inquire again about the possibility of putting my Rx (I need prism) into the Magster lenses, so I can do away with the insert. I tried asking via the web site, and never got a response.