Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Cart

Sarge

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The seat is one of the features I like the best, and clamping the umbrella. More times than I can count, there is someone either sitting on the cart or under the umbrella when I come back from scoring & pastering. And I keep a gal jug of my mixed up sports drink & snacks for the day in the cooler. This cart has been one of the best accidental finds in this shooting business I have.

I"ve been searching for a cart as well. I'd stay away from the Amazon cart because I've heard the individual steering wheels make it difficult to maneuver. The Eckla Gear Cart looks great, but pricey. There's a new cart coming from CED. I saw it at Shot Show. Looks well built, some great options, lightweight, and has pneumatic tires (great for the range). It's supposed to handle at least 100lbs, and priced at $99 bucks. It should be easy to add rifle mounts, has a drop-down shelf for loading magazines, and it even has dual cup holders. I'm going to try one when they're available, or go with a converted jogger.

What about the current CED cart? $59.00 and a capacity of 200 pounds. In my case it would just be used for two range bags. Thoughts anyone?

I have one similar to the CED unit and IMHO they are a waste of money.

The wheels aren't big enough for anything worse than pavement.

Get something better.

My thoughts as well. For gravel, sand, mulch grass, etc the wheels are not nearly enough on the CED or similar carts.

Here is what I use. Bought it a few years ago for High Power Rifle shooting. It's somewhat popular in that discipline of shooting, where carts are imperative. It a First Strike range cart. Not much on their website, but I talked to Anna earlier this season and they are going strong. They also sell long gun attachments for the sides to convert to a 3-gun rig. I installed a bottom to hold a normal size range bag. The cooler in the back came with the cart. I also attach an umbrella for the hot summer days. The seat folds up and attaches to a small working surface for reloading mags or just sitting things on it. You can pull or push it. I keep my range bag in and take it everywhere, practice sessions, even the indoor matches. Not sure what the price is now, but I think it is over $400.

post-25782-0-24908300-1327784954_thumb.j post-25782-0-49272700-1327784984_thumb.j post-25782-0-35060800-1327785008_thumb.j

I totally think that for a rolling chair with bag/cooler storage it's the cat's meow! The price though is simply out of my range, though it's probably worth every penny....

I love my "tactical stroller" for 3 gun / Tac Rifle / Shotgun matches. I left the seat/cloth in it... I bought a bag that fits in seat perfectly, had mag pouches on the outside, holds enough ammo for several stages. Mine also had a nice little "roof" that folds out of the way when not needed, but helps keep the bag dry during rain.

FYI - Keep the brake!. If you are at a club with a long downhill walk , or several short steep drops between bays, it is nice to keep it from "running away from you" :devil:

For pistol matches, I am switching to a Maxpedition ManPurse (Jumbo Versipack). My old bag was too heavy/full, and I have a ridiculosly bad back (2 herniated discs). I can carry ammo, snacks, and other small essentials between stages.

I took my old range bag (Midway Large bag) and turned it into my "car bag". I keep all of my tools, spare mags, extra ammo, misc crap in it. It is heavy, so it stays in the car.... The farthest I have ever had to be from a vehicle during a match (local or Major) was less than a 10 min round trip walk, so this strategy should work out well.

My Eckla just arrived, and it looks to be as close to my ideal range cart as I've ever seen. The seat is comfortable enough for short breaks (you probably wouldn't want to sit in it for hours at a time, but it's a lot more comfortable than standing or sitting on the ground), the "cargo area" looks more than adequate for range bag + cooler. The pockets, loops and hooks make it fairly configurable, and it looks more than sturdy enough for its 100 lbs gear/264 lbs seat rating. One feature that is especially nice is that the tires pop off (they come with their own storage bag), meaning the whole thing folds flat, so your cart/dolly doesn't have to take up half the trunk or cargo area. I also like the fact that there are QR pins to lock the cargo shelf and/or seat in place, so the dolly wont collapse on you.

The pneumatic wheels roll very easily, and I had no problem dragging it loaded up and down a few stairs in front of my office. Should be easy rolling up and down the hill at the Single Stack Gnats.

I probably will mod it slightly to add a PVC pipe/golf umbrella for rainy or hot weather matches, and a shelf over the cargo for reloading, but the existing holes on the frame should make that an easy job.

While it is a little pricey, when you consider to the value of the gear it will be hauling at any given time (2 race guns, belts, gear, a few hundred rounds of ammo, phones, etc), it's really not that expensive. I justified it by thinking how much I'd pay for a easy rolling cart and seat if you asked me at 5:00 on the 12th stage of the day in a gravel pit with no seats or shade, and $300 doesn't seem that high.

BB

My Eckla just arrived, and it looks to be as close to my ideal range cart as I've ever seen. The seat is comfortable enough for short breaks (you probably wouldn't want to sit in it for hours at a time, but it's a lot more comfortable than standing or sitting on the ground), the "cargo area" looks more than adequate for range bag + cooler. The pockets, loops and hooks make it fairly configurable, and it looks more than sturdy enough for its 100 lbs gear/264 lbs seat rating. One feature that is especially nice is that the tires pop off (they come with their own storage bag), meaning the whole thing folds flat, so your cart/dolly doesn't have to take up half the trunk or cargo area. I also like the fact that there are QR pins to lock the cargo shelf and/or seat in place, so the dolly wont collapse on you.

The pneumatic wheels roll very easily, and I had no problem dragging it loaded up and down a few stairs in front of my office. Should be easy rolling up and down the hill at the Single Stack Gnats.

I probably will mod it slightly to add a PVC pipe/golf umbrella for rainy or hot weather matches, and a shelf over the cargo for reloading, but the existing holes on the frame should make that an easy job.

While it is a little pricey, when you consider to the value of the gear it will be hauling at any given time (2 race guns, belts, gear, a few hundred rounds of ammo, phones, etc), it's really not that expensive. I justified it by thinking how much I'd pay for a easy rolling cart and seat if you asked me at 5:00 on the 12th stage of the day in a gravel pit with no seats or shade, and $300 doesn't seem that high.

BB

Pictures when it's done would be nice... thanks!

BB

Hey BB. I finally took the local guy up on his offer of $250 for his virtually brand new Eckla shooting cart. I'll be picking it up from him next week.

Let me know how the mods go as I was thinking the exact same thing regarding a shelf for loading mags, etc.

I had to do a image google search for "Eckla shooting cart":

Eckla_Multi_Rolly1.jpg

I have to wonder if a guy was handy with electrical metal conduit and a tubing bender what kind of results could a guy get???

Edited by Chills1994

I"ve been searching for a cart as well. I'd stay away from the Amazon cart because I've heard the individual steering wheels make it difficult to maneuver. The Eckla Gear Cart looks great, but pricey. There's a new cart coming from CED. I saw it at Shot Show. Looks well built, some great options, lightweight, and has pneumatic tires (great for the range). It's supposed to handle at least 100lbs, and priced at $99 bucks. It should be easy to add rifle mounts, has a drop-down shelf for loading magazines, and it even has dual cup holders. I'm going to try one when they're available, or go with a converted jogger.

did you get any pictures of this kart?

The prices on the Rugged Gear carts have really come down. When I bought mine, you could ONLY buy what is now called the "Deluxe Model" for $299. They have a basic cart for $154 and an intermediate cart for $199 that has flat-free tires (very nice to have). Sure, it's a 3-Gun cart, but I use mine for pistol, trap/skeet, and 3-Gun. About the only thing that you can't do with it is sit on it....

www.ruggedgear.com