Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger Mk II

kevin c

Am picking up a .22 Ruger. Am googling, but thought I'd ask here too. Any favorite brands for target/plinking? Or does it matter (I hear the MkII's are pretty much omnivorous when it comes to ammo)?

TIA

Kevin

Kevin,

I have a volquartsen MkII that dislikes high velocity .22 and seems to prefer expensive subsonic match ammo. The best advice I can offer is to try various brands of ammo to see which groups the best with perfect function.

jj

I use CCI Blazer 22cal-40gr , this bullet runs great in both of my MK2's that daughter, son shoot. My 22/45 also loves this bullet :wub: , is soft shooting compared to other mfg.

Georgia-Arms.com

sell in box of 5,000, cost $117.75 walk out price.

You have to find what 'your' MKII likes. Buy a box of everything and try it from a sandbag rest. My factory stock MKII prefers Win Super-X solid point and PMC Sidewinder ... so far. Good results with anything from CCI also.

The low velocity rounds tend to give you a stovepipe every once in a while. The recoil spring is definitely set up for standard velocity ammo. You can use hyper velocity but I've found accuracy drops off a bit.

Do stay away from the dirt cheap stuff. Charges will vary and every so often a failure to fire.

My Mark II likes Federal Gold Medal 711B... Doesn't batter the gun as hard as CCI Mini Mags or other less expensive brands--and it's reliable. Costs a tad more than cheaper, loose-pack brands but performs well and shows little or no recoil. :) If you live in the Pacific Northwest and have access to a Bi-Mart department store chain, they offer a decent price on the Federal.

Thanks for the (varied) responses, all good advice, and perhaps boiling down to what I should have guessed - shoot the gun and see what it likes. Fair 'nough.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, since I won't even have the gun for a couple weeks, and, again, should shoot it for a while, but any suggested mods for your basic MkII, and on who is best to do them?

TIA again,

Kevin C.

Guest Larry Cazes

Kevin, my MKII functions well with just about everything but seems to prefer Standard velocity (subsonic) CCIs for accuracy. We shoot 8-10 inch steel plates at 100 yards at our local range with mine. Almost too easy with this gun. I havent cleaned mine in about 2000 rounds but it still runs well.

I installed Hogue rubber grips (which widened the grip for my long fingers) (and added finger-grooves to the gripping configuration) and had a trigger job done--including grinding down those irritating lengthwise serrations on the trigger surface. :angry: Ah, much more comfortable now. B)

• 1 month later...

My 22/45 does not like the CCI Blazer 40 grain stuff that you normally buy in a brick of 500. I have had a lot of failure to eject (stovepipe) due to variations in the pressure the round generated. Quite a few duds in the bunch also. Accuracy was acceptable, but reliable cycling is more important for me.

My 22/45 likes the Rem. Thunderbolt and the Federal 38 gr. hollowpoints.

• 2 weeks later...

all cci ammo works good in my gun

it doesnt like remington ammo (bullet shape hits edge of barrel, shaves lead)..or the real cheap winchester..

for bulk plinking, federal 550 count(the box at walmart) is the stuff.

worst ammo was russian surplus with STEEL CASES velocity was erratic, but every round fired.

try a bunch.

as for soft shooting, arent all 22s soft?

'kay, got the gun (won in a drawing) finally - it's a 22/45 c/ bull bbl.

Got my half dozen brands of ammo from Midway and will start plinkin'.

I gotta check out the Remington at Walmart, Rich. My wife is still boasting about how she cleaned out Costco on their packaged racks of lamb mislabelled at 17 cents a pound ("yes, ma'am, that's the price") and I gotta find a way of matching that, and showing her that shooting isn't all that expensive, after all... :P