Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

worth it to move to an inner/outer belt?

robkroupa

So I'm still pretty much a beginner at this USPSA stuff. I've shot a handful of matches, got a holster and mag pouches that I like, but I'm still using my rigger's belt that I wear everyday. I'm thinking about upgrading to an inner/outer belt system like the CR Speed or the Double Alpha because I'm sure it would be more convenient than threading my stuff on every match but would it have any performance advantage? I'm thinking I might just be better off spending the money on more reloading components. But then I started thinking... if you have a system that works when is it worth it to move to better equipment?

You don't need one. But you will want one (the more you shoot USPSA). The belt makes a pretty big difference imho in just keeping all that gear tight and in the right place. Better than a rigger's belt, which is adequate for 2 mags and a gun, but 4 to 6 hicap mags and a gun, different story. CR Speed rocks.

The one thing I noticed is that it's nice not having belt loops interfere with where you put your mag pouches. This might not matter so much if you shoot limited/open where you only carry 2-3 mags on the belt anyway. But it's great in single stack and production, because you can put your mags all next to each other on the belt and not worry about where the belt loops are.

Another bonus is when I leave the house, I don't worry about forgetting something, because I grab my rig along with my range bag, and it contains all the mag pouches and holster for that gun/division.

It is also nice, as you noted, to not have to worry about re-configuring your rig every time.

In other words, well worth the $50ish to buy an inner and outer belt. I put it off for far too long.

When I had a dryfire session with Steve Anderson I wasn't using a dual belt. He looked at my setup and said "if you are serious about improving get a dual belt set up as soon as you have the money."

He was right. It doesn't make a huge difference. But it is nice to have the gear where you want it and a little farther off your body. It is also nice just to go to the basement and put on your rig and get to the dry fire.

It makes a big difference having it set up and ready to go. Makes it easier to dryfire and ensure you have what you need for a match. I also have different colored mag pouchs for different divisions to help me make sure i grab the right belt.

Alright then, seems like I should go about getting me a belt. I do like the idea of being able to quickly throw it on for dry fire practice. Now I just have to pick between the CR and the DAA...

I have both. If I was going to purchase another it would be a DAA. It's a little stiffer and in my opinion look to be a little better quality. Both are fine belts and you wouldn't be dissapointed with either.

Alright then, seems like I should go about getting me a belt. I do like the idea of being able to quickly throw it on for dry fire practice. Now I just have to pick between the CR and the DAA...

Once you've decided that, go to the manufacturer's web site and read carefully how to measure yourself for that belt. If you order based on the number printed on your jeans you'll almost certainly wind up with the wrong size.

I went to a surplus shop and bought a "Voodoo Tactical Duty Belt". I don't think they even make them anymore, that's probably why it was in the surplus shop. Anyway, it's a rigid dual belt and I bought it for $10. The problem with it is that it is 2 1/4" wide and I'm finding that not much stuff will fit it (holsters, mag pouches). Maybe that $10 would have been better off contributing to the CR or DA belt! So watch the width of any belt that you buy.

On the cheap side of things, Uncle Mike's has a duty belt that is pretty rigid.

Did it have an inner belt? I looked at an uncle mike's duty belt at a local shop but it was just an outer belt.

I picked up the inner belt separately, from the outer duty belt. They just happened to be on separate racks.

I had 3 CR belts. One for each Division. They worked great.

Safariland ELS is the only way to go now. I have one belt with the flexibility to shoot Limited, Open, L10, SS, Production, 3 Gun. Easy to clip on and off the requisite holsters and mags.

Since you are starting out it might be a bit much on the expense side. Look to Optics Planet or Midway for a sale.