Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moonclip Saver replacement?

kmca

Just wondering what you're using to straighten out bent moonclips since it seems the Moonclip Saver is no longer available. Moonclips to me are fairly expensive, so they're worth trying to fix.

usually I leave the bent ones in the driveway and park the truck on them over night, if that doesn't work, I bring them back to the range and give them to some other revo guy just starting out....

You can just bring them to the IRC. Bubber straightens them with his teeth.

Bubber, remember to bring your teeth to the IRC this year

Edited by underlug

Bubber keeps his teeth with his shoes so maybe he can remember to bring both :sight:

Bubber keeps his teeth with his shoes so maybe he can remember to bring both :sight:

You guys are just lyin now, I have good teeth..they're in a jar by the sink. :closedeyes:

If you cannot get a straightener, we used to use regular pliers and a mirror. You check the straightness with a mirror as it magnifies the bent area for recognition. Then bend the moonclip until it is straight. It takes a while. Now on the clip saver tool, it works great, but it can cause the moonclip to be loose on one or two spots. If one of the guys has a few clips needing to be straightened I take mine to the match and let them use it. Goodluck guys and I will bring my shoes next year at the IRC. :ph34r:

I know with the knowledge base here on BE, someone must have tried crushing the bent ones in a shop press. Was a 6 ton press enough? Did it even work?

You do not need that much force. The MC Tool was designed to "flex the moonclip beyond straight. After doing that in both directions then you would flex it enough to take it back to original shape. And no it did not work with the vise or press. :ph34r: later rdd

I tried bending them back with the all thread and fender washers and simply couldn't get it to work. Then I realized I have 300 clips, why am I trying so hard. I keep a stash of questionable clips I bent back with pliars and use then for range work. If you could find a concave and convex piece of the same angle or had access to a lathe it would be possible to make your own.

Lee

Pardon my ignorance but what is a moonclip saver (beyond the obvious that it straightens bent moonclips) and how does it work? Does anyone have pics? It's a real PITA to hand straighten.

See post 10 above. I will look for a picture. later rdd

Lee,

If you ever find it and are interested in parting with it, let us all know. I am sure that a number of us will fight for it. LOL!

James

I had said in the past I would be willing to straighten clips for people. It no one ever took me up on it and I think I lost it. I'll look for it over the next week.

Lee

Pardon my ignorance but what is a moonclip saver (beyond the obvious that it straightens bent moonclips) and how does it work? Does anyone have pics? It's a real PITA to hand straighten.

See post 10 above. I will look for a picture. later rdd

Your previous post plus the picture, plus the old link jflowers put up helped greatly. I was really wondering how it did what it did in response to post 10, no I can see with a picture. Many thanks.

Guess I'll try to make my own. It's hard to tell from the picture, what's the approximate angle of the cone? When the moonclip is installed and the two pieces are brought together, do you hit it with a hammer?

Thanks.

Guess I'll try to make my own. It's hard to tell from the picture, what's the approximate angle of the cone? When the moonclip is installed and the two pieces are brought together, do you hit it with a hammer?

Thanks.

PM me your number and I'll call and we will talk about it.

Lee

Just wondering what you're using to straighten out bent moonclips since it seems the Moonclip Saver is no longer available. Moonclips to me are fairly expensive, so they're worth trying to fix.

I use the Ranch Products moonclips whch are inexpensive and discard them when they are bent.