Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

British Open Shotgun Championships

The British Open Shotgun Championships was held over the weekend of 11-13 June in Dorset, England. Each competitor shot the match in 1 day.

Kurt from the US , as in kurtm on this forum kicked *ss and took first place in Standard Division by a margin of over 5% and this against a background of unfamiliar terrain, kit (some borrowed), style etc. and of course against guys with the home advantage (theoretically :( ).

I'm sure more reports will be added to this topic in due course and I think (hope) Kurt will report the natives as friendly! :rolleyes:

I'll try to get some pictures posted in The Gallery in the next couple of days.

Stats:

14 stages

30 rounds slug

33 rounds buckshot

105 rounds birdshot

phpDKcpsz.jpg

Kurt,

either you're a great shot, or good ole Europe brings you good luck (I suspect the latter... :P ).

Last year you were 3rd at the European Shotgun Championship (Limited Semi-Auto), this year you scored 1st at British Open (Standard).

Way to go!

Congrats man! ;)

It was a great match!! EVERYONE was so nice!! I can highly recomend this match. It is set on a large farm in the south of England and the scenery is beautiful!! The stages were as good as anything I have ever shot. I was yelled at a couple of times as there is a very strict muzzle down rule at this range, that I just couldn't quite grasp as we have always used muzzel up. It always happened at the end of a stage for the unload and show clear. I never got it too high but was reminded "muzzel" 3 times. I almost branded poor James H after a 30 round slug stage as he said "muzzel" and reached out his hand to stop me from going higher, and I remembered to get it back down just in time. Sorry James!!! I borrowed a Benelli shotgun from Mike.45 and he put an American flag on the Butt stock for me! How is that for support!! Neill Beverly, is always fun to shoot with and it would have been quite a bit closer between us but he had a "stage killer" of a jam on a speed shoot stage. Mike.45 kept me on my toes, and it was no cake walk to finaly come out at the top! THANK YOU TO ALL!!!!!

By the way, two of the UK shooters will be over to shoot and help RO the Rocky Mountain 3-Gun, so this sport is finaly getting to be "International" as it should be. KURTM

because trying to shoot it without one would have been a distint disadvantage !! :D

The UK gun laws are complicated and basically silly so it was easier for him to borrow my unused M1. A few tweeks here and there and it ran 99% OK.

Kurt realised the sissy weak hand San Fran loading was not as fast as the UK style so he has changed to flip and burn. For an amatur he picked it up fast. :rolleyes:

I only saw him on stage 3 but it seemed to me it never left the shoulder..or maybe my eyes are too slow....

as for being branded I do that perfectly well for myself..if clear hammer down open action....clunk, click rack OW THATS HOT! ....every time :D

next year we hope to improve, bigger and better. we will try to give more notice for our international friends so we can sort out permits etc.

It will be almost certainly at the same location on the 2nd weekend in June but that is not definate yet.

time to start plotting stages, and yes Neil i promise more penalty targets next time.

Great job Kurt, although the pictures would've been cooler if you'd had your RealTree gun!

You should apply for a position as our European Smoothbore Ambassador. :P

sissy weak hand San Fran loading

LOL! :D

-Craig

Mike.45:

You are sadly mistaken. It WAS NOT the flip and burn I adopted it was the CRASH AND BURN!! I noticed you guys were much better at that than I, so I have embraced it whole heartedly :D Hey E-Mail me with the results of the shoot if you can I can't seem to find them on the UK web site, and I am still curios about the stuff we talked about. Thanks! KURT

It WAS NOT the flip and burn I adopted it was the CRASH AND BURN!! I noticed you guys were much better at that than I, so I have embraced it whole heartedly 

Damn thats cold :( Lucky I dont load that way !! :D

The site doesnt show the stage results so I am trying to locate them - I will let you know.

How is that silver 1911 with my name on it - looking good ??

Mike.45

It is bright and shiny and lightly oiled and ready for inspection! As for the crash and burn, I was thinking of my dismount from the barrel horse at the match....but you weren't there to see it were you. KURTM

No thats right .... I figured I could leave you on your own for a few mins and when I came back you had started an international incident. I will admit the mock up horse was cute but what you did to it was just plain wrong, it wasnt different, just wrong. :unsure:

Remember in Great Britian we do things like that in private and public acts generally cause offence. I didnt actually tell you that before hand so it wasnt really your fault and again the metal horse was flirting with you so dont worry about it too much. Sadly the range has banned you for life but that was to be expected. :(

I just got back from the 3-gun Nationals today and found a package from Neil Beverly on the table. It was medium heavy, and I expected "swag" as we had joked about it quit a bit while I was over for the shoot. When I opened it, it was the first place decantor he had recieved for being the first place in "standard" division.

Durring the awards, I had been given a decantor set for being the "high foreign visitor".

Since the match was an open, I guess it should have been " first place", but I hadn't given it a second thought after Neil asked me if I thought the awards were fair at the end of the match. I had told him I was OK with the out come. I was humbled, and VERY moved when I opened the package and found a note stating " The more I thought about it, the more I became convinced that I needed to send this decantor to it's rightful owner". This is representitive of the quality of shooters the U.K. can boast about, and I find myself a bit emotional while typing this thinking about the honor Neil has bestoed upon me. THANK YOU NEIL! You are the guy we all aspire to be! KURTM

Kurt

Very many thanks for your kind words.

At the end of the day the better man won the Division. There was no way I could justify keeping that trophy with any sense of decency and conscience.

What I also know is that you have just as much integrity and honour and if you had known what I had intended I'm sure you would have fought against me sending it to you. The CD with the photos was just the ruse to get hold of your new address. :D