Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me buy a dedicated 3-gun rifle from JP

grkmec

I have an 18" light contour CTR-02, 15" handguard w/o heat sink. I don't see any reason to have a heatsink (I am not knocking anyone who wants/need one, I just like my rifle wthout it). I have shot it quite a bit practicing and have not had any problems with the handguard heating up to where I was uncomfortable. I also have a 15" JP handguard on my AR10 and have not had any problems with heat buildup, certainly not to the point of needing/wanting a different style of handguard.

Hurley

I am running a 18" medium contour JP CTR-02 , rifle length handguard and no heatsink. I have competed in two iron man matches where the barrel was smoking but I had no problem holding or handling the handguard at all.

I went to one Of the local shops that sells JP rifles and the guy behind the counter said he hated the hand guard on them and claimed they got too hot... ? anyone confirm or deny...? Is this one of the reasons that some choose to not use the heat sink?

I've shot a lot of matches in the last 5 years with my 20" JP-15 upper and never had the hand guard too hot. If you leave it out in the sun, like on a preload table, yes the guard will be hot, which is why I like to keep mine bagged until it's my turn to shoot. Keeps out the dirt too.

Made the switch to 15" tubes on all my match guns. I don't have the heat sink on any of my AR-15s but I do have one on a .260 LRP-07.

Doug

ok thanks krutm and doug. I did read about the sun heating up the rifle also. The article I read claimed lighter colors helped with this. No different then cars really.... There's a three gun match just up the road on the 29th so im holding out till after the match to purchase either one. Hopefully I will learn something at the match that will make my decision easier....

My son has shot his 18" CTR-02 with the heat sink for the past three years. He has had great success with his gun. The heat sink does help....it isn't specifically to keep the hand guard cool it is to help the barrel shed heat to help keep the POI consistent. Over the years...the rifle has shot very consistently regardless of how many rounds there were per stage. I have had light contour barrels in the past than did have a noticeable shift in POI after heavy strings of rapid fire.... it may never be a problem for you but it certainly has not hurt my son's long range or rapid fire performance.

thanks for the response tripletapjake. Thats the first post Ive read about the poi shift with the light contour barrel. Anyone else confirm or deny the same result? What about with a medium contour barrel....? Has anyone had a poi shift with the med. contour as well?

thanks for the response tripletapjake. Thats the first post Ive read about the poi shift with the light contour barrel. Anyone else confirm or deny the same result? What about with a medium contour barrel....? Has anyone had a poi shift with the med. contour as well?

I had a CTR-02 with a 16" light contour barrel and POI change was not really noticeable out to 300y.

Our light contour barrel was a cheap barrel not a JP. JP's barrels are stainless, cryo treated, air gauged and button rifled if I remember correctly. All of those factors lead to accuracy. The cheap barrel in an old gun was none of those things and it did shift when it heated up from rapid fire strings..... there is ABSOLUTELY NO COMPARISON between cheap barrels and JP barrels. The barrel is the heart of the gun....spend your money there, then the trigger, then the full float tube....then on reliable components (which you have in the Low mass group and buffer)....and you will have a fantastic gun....the barrel is the last place to cut corners! The heat sink just makes the barrel perform that much better.