Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me buy a dedicated 3-gun rifle from JP

grkmec

I want to order a custom 3-gun rifle from JP. Would appreciate any tips / advice from people here that have them. Here is what I had in mind:

SCR-11 with 16" light contour, mid-length (I want the gun to be light and matches up in the Northeast don't have many shots past 300 yards)

Small profile comp

Handguard - do you guys know exact lengths of mid, rifle or extra long? Also what is LE-M rifle option? With a 16" barrel, midlength, I assume rifle will just cover gas block? With the extra long rail, will your weak hand get blasted by the comp if grip placement is at the very end? Suggestions?

Heat Sink - how much does it weigh? Is it just flashy to have or does it really do much if you are only shooting a 30-40 round stage?

Low Mass vs. Full Mass - help me decide

Trigger - I want 3# competition. Is it single or 2-stage?

Stock - ACE-ARFX

Grip - Hogue

Finally, can you guys give me a quick comparison of SCR-11, PSC-11, JP-15 and CTR-2? Which one do I want?

Thanks

If you get a 16" mid gas:

Mid tube will expose the gas block (9")

Rifle tube will cover the gas block and some more (12")

Extra long will extend basically just about to where the muzzle brake starts (15")

I run a JP 16" mid with light BCG and buffer. It shoots pretty flat and soft, but an 18" rifle gas is noticeably flatter and softer.

18"

Ex long hand guard

Heat sink

Low mass

3lb trigger

Jp15

I wouldn't change a thing

Heatsink probably isnt worth the money, but other than that this looks right. Go with the 18, even if you normally shoot shorter ranges. Get the XL tube, even if you go with the 16" barrel.

I have an 18" JP SCR-11 with the rifle length gas system and the longer hand guards, but opted not to have the heatsink. SOME shooters have told me that the aluminum on stainless has caused POI shifts at distance due to apparent pressures being exerted on the barrel. I haven't had any negative effects running my JP without the heat sinks.

Go with the 18". You won't notice the extra 2. Even with the heat sink it will still be one of the lightest rifles on the front end. It will be very well balanced. Consider, your training to determine if you want the sidecharger. I have muscle memory built to go directly to the T handle, it is something to consider.

Jay

I want to order a custom 3-gun rifle from JP. Would appreciate any tips / advice from people here that have them. Here is what I had in mind:

SCR-11 with 16" light contour, mid-length (I want the gun to be light and matches up in the Northeast don't have many shots past 300 yards)

Small profile comp

Handguard - do you guys know exact lengths of mid, rifle or extra long? Also what is LE-M rifle option? With a 16" barrel, midlength, I assume rifle will just cover gas block? With the extra long rail, will your weak hand get blasted by the comp if grip placement is at the very end? Suggestions?

Heat Sink - how much does it weigh? Is it just flashy to have or does it really do much if you are only shooting a 30-40 round stage?

Stock - ACE-ARFX

Grip - Hogue

Finally, can you guys give me a quick comparison of SCR-11, PSC-11, JP-15 and CTR-2? Which one do I want?

Thanks

SCR, is A CTR with a side charging handle instead of a traditional Charging handle, not needed (although could be handy but requires practice)

PSC, Upper reciever that has both a side charging handle and traditional charging handle, mated to a JP-15 lower.

CTR, Billet Upper and Lower. JP's flagship for Competition rifles.

JP-15, Forged Upper and lower, more traditional AR-15 look.

Go with the 18inch Mid contour or Light Contour Barrel. JP triggers are 1 stage, but that's all you need really. Go Low mass. Heat sink is a big NO. XL hand gaurds are nice but not needed, but all my rifles run a 15"+ handgaurd. If your looking for the "lightest" setup go with the JP-15, it will also cost you $700 less then the SCR.

Out the door, with XL Handguard and the other options you wanted(minus the heatsink) that you posted + a 18inch barrel, a JP-15 will run you over $2000, Can't beat that with a stick.

Edited by DocMedic

Small profile comp

Stock - ACE-ARFX

Grip - Hogue

Thanks

SCR, is A CTR with a side charging handle instead of a traditional Charging handle, not needed (although could be handy but requires practice)

PSC, Upper reciever that has both a side charging handle and traditional charging handle, mated to a JP-15 lower.

Go with the 18inch Mid contour or Light Contour Barrel. JP triggers are 1 stage, but that's all you need really. Go Low mass. Heat sink is a big NO. XL hand gaurds are nice but not needed, but all my rifles run a 15"+ handgaurd. If your looking for the "lightest" setup go with the JP-15, it will also cost you $700 less then the SCR.

Out the door, with XL Handguard and the other options you wanted(minus the heatsink) that you posted + a 18inch barrel, a JP-15 will run you over $2000, Can't beat that with a stick.

Thanks, that is very helpful. Can you quantity weight savings between forged and billet construction?

Love JP; great stuff, but i cant remember the last time i saw a JP rifle with the sink.

Ditch the sink, throw on a benny comp, and youre gold.

I have a sink, I'll send you a picture Mike!

Seiichi

• 1 month later...

Small profile comp

Stock - ACE-ARFX

Grip - Hogue

Thanks

Why no to the heat sink? I ask because I have a rifle on order and I included it. Guess I should have searched first.

Why no to the heat sink? I ask because I have a rifle on order and I included it. Guess I should have searched first.

+1

I have the same question. I was talking to the staff at JP today and the recommendation of th eheat sink came up. I was asking about an 18" light contour barrel for either an SCR-11 or a PSC-11 Upper.

Thanks.

Small profile comp

Stock - ACE-ARFX

Grip - Hogue

Thanks

Just not a fan of it. Adds unneeded weight, changes barrel harmonics (Not in a "bad" way but dont like it), bolts on to the barrel (one more thing that can come loose during a match) and cost money that I could use for ammo, I'm pretty sure there are better shooters then I that do use them, but I promise u there are many more that whip me that don't :roflol:

• 10 months later...

I went to one Of the local shops that sells JP rifles and the guy behind the counter said he hated the hand guard on them and claimed they got too hot... ? anyone confirm or deny...? Is this one of the reasons that some choose to not use the heat sink?

I went to one Of the local shops that sells JP rifles and the guy behind the counter said he hated the hand guard on them and claimed they got too hot... ? anyone confirm or deny...? Is this one of the reasons that some choose to not use the heat sink?

Have shot mine with and without heat sink. Not worth the extra weight in my opinion. As far as the hand guard getting to hot I have never had a problem with that. Is the guy behind the counter doing mag dumps ?

Im not sure exactly He just saw me looking at it and said that if I was set on the jp rifle that I should get rails to keep my hand cooler... Im assuming he was shooting quite a bit considering i havent seen anyone else say that... And Blu46 thanks but I really want the side charging handle so im looking at the PSC-11 or SCR-11

Im not sure exactly He just saw me looking at it and said that if I was set on the jp rifle that I should get rails to keep my hand cooler... Im assuming he was shooting quite a bit considering i havent seen anyone else say that... And Blu46 thanks but I really want the side charging handle so im looking at the PSC-11 or SCR-11

I see a lot of JP hand guards, in 3 gun. Most of the guys shoot them a lot more than the average gun shop guy behind the counter. I wouldn't worry about using the JP hand guard. I love my SCR -11 great rifle.

Thats what I was thinking. Even people who dont have JP rifles buy their hand guards.... quick question for you rep70. What made you decide to buy the scr-11 rather than the psc-11? Other then the lower/ lower mag well their pretty similar and the psc is around 400 cheaper...?

Thats what I was thinking. Even people who dont have JP rifles buy their hand guards.... quick question for you rep70. What made you decide to buy the scr-11 rather than the psc-11? Other then the lower/ lower mag well their pretty similar and the psc is around 400 cheaper...?

I just liked the looks of the SCR -11 like you said not a huge difference other than aesthetics. It was a rifle I wanted for awhile so decided to get it just the way I wanted. You would be good to go with either one.