Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Check out the new online Dryfire drills!

Want to figure out how to randomize the beep. Anyone know if flash can do that? I can't use VB since it isn't cross platform.

I'll send you a Flash Movie clip with a randomized beep that works anywhere from two to four seconds. Just create a new layer, Open the FLA that I'm sending you and drag it from my library to anywhere on your stage. It will work anytime you click the mouse. I'll record the beep this evening and embed it in the movie clip and then send it over.

Paul

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt,

This is pretty cool. Just happened to have the LCD projector hooked up and made for some interesting dry practice. Next I'd love to see a stage set up and I could practice cover, swingers, movers, popers & no shoots in my living room! Keep it revolver firendly, LOL.

Matt,

Hold the phone!!!

Here is a more streamlined version of the random beep generator. It uses far fewer lines of code and only one movie clip.

First, put this actionscript into the first frame of the main time line movie actions:

//generates random number from 2 to 4

Math.floor(Math.random()*3)+2;

ranNumber = Math.floor(Math.random()*3)+2;

trace(ranNumber);

Second, create a 2 frame movie clip called "beep". Frame 1 has a "stop" command. Frame 2 has the beep sound. Make the beep sound an event sound.

Create a new layer on the main timeline called "beepMC" and drag the "beep" movieclip on the stage.

Select the "beep" movieclip and add this actionscript:

onClipEvent (enterFrame) {

getTimer();

trace(getTimer());

if (_root.ranNumber == 2 && getTimer()>6000) {

_root.beepInst.gotoAndStop(2);

} else if (_root.ranNumber == 3 && getTimer()>7000) {

} else if (_root.ranNumber == 4 && getTimer()>8000) {

}

}

Finally, make sure you give the "beep" movieclip the instance name of "beepInst".

The 6000, 7000, and 8000 numbers are in milliseconds from the time the main movie starts to play. You can fine tune these numbers to get the delays the way you want.

Paul

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks to Phara an Enos member, we are rocking with Classic targets and Regular ones on the new drills!!!

Check out the newest ones online.

Swinger with adjustable speed and movable barricade.

Par time with either target and adjustable times.

Have fun!!

• 1 month later...

OK, now that I have a computer in my dryfire area, I can truely appreciate how much these online dryfire drills ROCK! Don't have to use my timer, don't have to push a start button ever time, you have someone (Matt) going through the entire "Shooter Ready, stand by, reholster" commands. This is AWSOME. Thanks Matt.

I have been a bird hunter most of my life. I know to lead a bird with the SG. But for some reason I never realized you need to lead a moving target with a handgun.

Matt, your mover with sights made the light come on.

thanks for spending the time on a great training aide.

dj

• 3 months later...

You can also use this awesome feature as you match RO, my dry practice routine contain a weely match and I use computer as RO..

Dalmas dry stage

to make a dry match perfect it would be a cool feature if there was a way to stop the timer, it starts as usal but you can stop the clock by pressing the space bar.. Now that would be cool....hint...hint :D:D

With 7 months of winter I get ver creative in my dryfire.. ;) today I use a WWII cricket (used by airborne troops in Normandy) to stop the timer so I can keep track of times..

Matt - Your site rocks!

That "spacebar" stop sounds like a good idea. Not 100% accurate, but close enough to gauge your "dry fire COF". The stage would have to end next to the computer though. :D

I agree about Matt's site; nicely done and full of info to the shooter. Looks like the site is made to help shooters to become better; unlike others I've seen that gave me the impression of existing only to sell products disregarding the shooter as a person.

But, truth to be told, what surprised me most about MB was his "nice guy aura". He always answers mails, forum topics, questions and I've seen him provide his home phone number on more than one occassion to offer his help.

Matt, you are a gentleman and an example on what a top notch sportsman should be like. Congratulations.

Matt,

I just wanted to add my voice to the appreciative chorus of those who have checked out your dryfire drills. I just tried them out last night and already I can see that they're likely to become a regular part of my practice. (I live in northern Vt; we just had a couple weeks of sub-zero weather, and dry fire is definitely the thing at this time of year.)

One thing that's great about this sport is that many of those at the top of the mountain are willing to point out the path to those of us still struggling up the slope. Thanks for your time, effort, and generosity-- and thanks to all the computer savvy folks who also contributed.

Elye Alexander

OK, I have been practicing my draw tonight. Started with a par time of 1.3 sec. No problem.

Went to 1.1 sec, not much trouble either.

I got it down to 0.80 par time and successfully making it about 85% of the time.

Backed it up to 1.0, got it down almost everytime without feeling rushed.

Now remember, I have never shot a match, and have NEVER tried drawing until about 1 hour ago!!!!!

I am one happy camper.

Freaking Left thumb is sore tho from the saftey :angry:

Matt, this is COOL, thanks!

I have a question that might not even make any sense, but here goes. I am trying to figure out how far back to stand from the target when it is at 100%. So when the target is at 100% what percentage of a real target is it? I guess this depends upon the size and resolution of my monitor. But do you see what I am getting at? How do I relate distance from the monitor to distance on the range?