Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 seating die

Trey A

I am new to reloading, so I apologize for my ignorance. I am looking to set up my 650 for .223 and want to know what are the best dies and how I should set each station up. I am particularly intersted in info on the seating die. I have been told about the windowed dies and one with the micrometer adjustments. I like the idea of both. Does anyone make one with both that will work on a progressive press? Thanks for the info

• 2 weeks later...

For a windowed die with the micrometer adjustment, try RCBS Gold Medal. It also has an o-ring that keeps the bullet from falling through unlike the RCBS Competition. Without the o-ring, you have to time when the case is in the right height so the bullet drops in the mouth. I use it on my 650 and have the lock ring under the toolhead so it doesn't block the window.

I like the Hornady seating dies, I put the seating stem in the drill and turned it for a softer touch on the top of the bullet. the sleeve that sets on the case is not spring loaded like the RCBS = I like the non spring better as my fingers can stay on the bullet all the way until the die wipes them off

What about the redding competition die, anyone using it?

Yes, excellent choice. It's the seating die I use with 69gr and 77gr Sierra Match Kings. I use the standard Dillon seating die for 55gr ammo.

IMHO the windowed seating dies aren't really helping you anywhere.

I use the standard Dillon sizing and taper crimp dies and think they are best choice for .223

I load on a Dillon 650 for my AR in 223. I use a Redding competition seating die and a Redding type S neck bushing die without any crimping operation. Works great and I wouldn't change a thing. A lot of people really like Forster's equivalent of these Redding products.

Yes, excellent choice. It's the seating die I use with 69gr and 77gr Sierra Match Kings. I use the standard Dillon seating die for 55gr ammo.

I use the standard Dillon sizing and taper crimp dies and think they are best choice for .223

Does it leave a slight crimp in the ogive of the bullet? My Dillon seating die does. I am looking at buy the micro adjust for 223 because I switch back and forth between bullets

Excuse my thread jack, but you guys would be the ones to ask. My Dillon 223 seating die indents the bullet creating a ring around the bullet. I tried polishing the seating stem where it contacts the bullet, but I wasn't too aggressive. Still having the problem. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to solve this? THX

Edited by grant22

Does it leave a slight crimp in the ogive of the bullet? My Dillon seating die does. I am looking at buy the micro adjust for 223 because I switch back and forth between bullets

I know this may sound odd.. but what bullet are you using?

Hornady 68s - always leave a slight ring for me, no matter what the die. The rest (Sierra, Noslers, etc), no problems

my 69 SMK's dont do it at all but both Sierra and Nosler ballistic tip's do

It's leaving a ring on my Horny 75 gr HPBT's. I am, however, considering switching to 77 gr SMK. If they don';t get the ring, all the more reason for me to switch.

That is the biggest reason I use the Redding die. The Dillon and RCBS seater dies left an indent ring on 69 and 77gr Match Kings, the Redding does not.

The micrometer adjustment is nice if you are trying to fine tune the seating so that the bullet is just shy of the lands, but I doubt that's what you want to do. Besides, if you were doing that kind of loading then you'd be loading on a single stage or turret.

SO, what you are probably looking for is a good consistent seating die. One of the best bang for the buck seating dies is the Forster Benchrest seating die. These do a really good job of ensuring that the bullet is perfectly aligned and consistently seated and they work on any kind of press.

YMMV

Personally I want the micro adjust. Reason being is if I have my Dillon seating die to seat 69 GR SMK's to 2.250 and then I want to load some 50GR ballistic tip's, it seats them at about 2.280. I hate fighting my seating die every time i want to change bullets

It may be cheaper to buy a second seating die and have it set up solely for one bullet, then change the seating die for the next bullet. Leave the die adjusted and just tighten it to the lock ring.

As far as the bullet being marred, pull the sweating stem and use a piece of sandpaper on a bullet to shape the stem to the particular bullet.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Personally I want the micro adjust. Reason being is if I have my Dillon seating die to seat 69 GR SMK's to 2.250 and then I want to load some 50GR ballistic tip's, it seats them at about 2.280. I hate fighting my seating die every time i want to change bullets

Yup.. I do this all the time too - it's so easy to change them

For me only the Hornadys leave the ring.. and even then.. there's no noticeable change in the ballsitics or group sizes - just bugs me it's there

I use it on a 1050 and a 550

Finally got a chance to load some rounds on the new Redding Competition Die. I loaded Nosler 50gr ballistic tips, Sierra 50gr ballistic tips and Sierra 69gr MatchKings

First off the competition die works perfect for making micro adjustments. I noticed that the Sierra ballistic tips were about .003 longer that the Nosler. I just turned the knob 3 tick marks and it moved .003. Loved it!

Now to the bullet marking, the Redding left a very slight etch but far less than my Dillon seating die. The Dillon seemed to dent the bullet and was noticeable when i ran my fingernail down the bullet. The Redding's slight etch was barley noticeable when running my fingernail on it. Definalty happy with the Redding here are some crappy pictures.

The picture on the right has 2 seating marks on it. The mark closest to the brass was made by the Dillon seating die, it isn't very noticeable because its more of a dent. The mark closest to the tip of the bullet was made by the Redding. It is more noticeable because its more of an etch or scratch.

The left picture is the 69gn SMK. It has only one mark and was seated by the Redding.

post-34074-0-02798000-1325808544_thumb.j

post-34074-0-11874600-1325808556_thumb.j

Try polishing the inside edge off the seating stem on the Dillon Die. This will pretty much get rid of the ring.

The Redding die barely marks the bullet. If you to be real clever et the sating stem custom made for the SMK Ogive.

Edited by gm iprod

• 4 weeks later...

To get rid of the "Ring" caused by the seating die, I sent the stem and several bullets to RCBS, who made my dies. They made a seating stem to match the shape of the bullet. As an alternative, you could put a bit of epoxy in the seating stem, let is set up a bit, them press the bullet into the stem. You'll get a perfectly shaped seating stem for tht bullet.

Edited by Mike Morcillo

• 3 months later...

I know this may sound odd.. but what bullet are you using?

Hornady 68s - always leave a slight ring for me, no matter what the die. The rest (Sierra, Noslers, etc), no problems

+111

OK....I'm SO glad to see this...well sort of. ;) I noticed the same problem the other day while loading HDY 68gr BTHP and 69gn SMK's. I am getting the ring indentation, as well, BUT ONLY ON THE Hdy 68's! I'm baffeled. If the Dillon seating die was the issue, why wouldn't I see a ring on the SMK's? I realize the ogive is different. But the ring indentation is located forward of the ogive (toward the tip). Anyone have any ideas of what the implications are on the external ballistics of the dented bullets? I just bought 500 of the 68g HDY's!!

Also, shouldn't Dillion replace the seating die if it's deforming the bullet?? I shouldn't have to take it apart and hand sand it or do anything for that matter to make it work right. Lastly, has anyone fixed this issue successfully without replacing the die for another manufacture or making any modifications (filing, sanding, epoxy)? Anyone get Dillon to concede a defect and replace the die?

Sorry for all the questions but i reload for 600y and take painstaking steps for accuracy and I'm a little pi$ed that this might be a common Dillon issue. First my Glock 'bulge'...now this. ;)

Thank for any responses, in advance.

- Dave

Try polishing the inside edge off the seating stem on the Dillon Die. This will pretty much get rid of the ring.

The Redding die barely marks the bullet. If you to be real clever et the sating stem custom made for the SMK Ogive.

I'm having the same prob with HDY 68gn BTHP's + Dillon Seating die. Did you actually have this issue and fix it by polishing it or is this just a suggestion?

Thanks...