Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eotech sight...

jimW

How come no one uses the Eotech on their open guns?

The only person I've noticed is Jerry Barnhart. But he has what looks like the older model which is bigger.

I noticed that Eotech has a new smaller version which is supposed to be 2 times the battery life of previous models.

The reason I ask is because the Military and Special Ops have ordered tons of these Eotechs. They must know something! ;)

Also, I have read that the Eotech holographic image is quicker to pick up then red dots.:)

Eotech review

Eotech home

anotherLink

EOTECH2.jpg

Jerry Barnhart's open gun:

JBOpenGunR.jpg

Holosight_551_552.jpg

BTW- how do you mount the Eotech on an SVI/STI?

Jerry's mount involves the older bigger model. And it looks like it's discontinued. :(

Retired mine a year ago as I was getting ready to build new open guns. The problem with the second gen is there is no integral mount system and the selection of lenses are now limited to a 1-Minute dot with a 65 minute circle.

I really did like my Holosight.

Alan

On the eotech website all they show available is the standard recticle.

Bushnell shows the same.

The 2nd Generation dos not have the interchangeability of the lenses.

Unless someone knows any different.

Alan

Is the "1-Minute dot with a 65 minute circle" too small for practical use?

From what I've read, the only mounting option for "handguns" is with Weaver mounts. How come there are not better/more mounting options? :(

I hesitated using the Holosight in the past because of they were so big. Now there's the new smaller model. :)

holo.jpg

Older review of Holosight vs CMore:

http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/aug97sights.html

Alan,

I shot one for years on my Open pistol and still have a few of the scopes. They were once available with the integral mount to fit the STI/SV dustcover guns along with a weaver rail model. I have a 6min dot, two different diamond recticles and the 1min dot with large circle that I use on an Open Shotgun.

The main problem with the first generation scopes was the weight. They honestly weigh a ton in an age when everyone seems to be fighting to remove every ounce off the front of the guns. I went to the C-more to reduce the weight of the gun.

The second generation sights do not have interchangeable recticles and the stock 1 min dot and large circle is too busy, on a pistol, for my tastes. It is fine for a shorgun or even rifle but is too distracting on the constantly moving pistol. I liked the small diamond or dot best.

Leo

jimW,

The dot/halo is great on a rifle. For pistol, I don't think any of them are particularly "practical" as they're mounted REALLY high on the gun. I know that Bruce Piatt and Jerry Barnhart use them, but I think they are definitely exceptional shooters that fall into the exception rather than the rule.

Rich

Leo,

I used the first gen with the integral mount on my old Caspian Hi-cap. 6 min dot. The weight did not pose that much of an issue for me. I just went to c-more due to the fact of not having a viable solution in the 2nd Gen Holo. I do use one of the 2nd Gen on my AR.

I feel the first gen's with integral mount were the best for open pistols, the 2nd Gen just doesn't do the same now.

Alan

I have sold a bunch of the D1 ( 1 MOA dot only ) reticles to guys around here.. I took 3 up to Doug Jones shop last week for new guns hes working on. They are getting very good results with them. Doug is taking the 511 model and removing the shroud and making up a mount that uses the existing screw holes in the body of the optic.

EOTech is on really touchy ground trying to promote thier optics to the competition shooting crowd. They have an agreement with Bushnell that does not allow them to market thier optics to the non Military and L/E crowd. I asked them to sponsor the Area 5 3 gun and they couldnt do it. They are donating certificates for the prize table thru me, but can`t directly sponsor any part of the match. I spoke to the Reigonal director this morning and hes gonna come out to the match and hang with my squad for a day, just to get a feel for what we as a sport shooting community would like to see. We`ll see what comes of that.

CS#158

ChandlerSniper158

If you are going to be with the rep a few suggestions.

6min dot

Capability to mount the Holo sight as low as possible on the gun.

Can you get pictures of the mounting system Doug Jones is using?

Keep us posted as to how it goes.

Alan

CS,

I didn't realize that you were from "that state up north".

- I was going to mention getting the dot as low as possible to the bore...but, Alan beat me to it.

- I always liked the idea of that interchangable dot module...don't have any clue on how well it worked though?

- some have mentione that the control need to be easy to run. Like, being able to turn it on with one hand (maybe the has been addressed in the newer model?).

Chandlersniper: mounting question- The Eotech 551 sight is taken apart but then how does he mount it the handgun? Is it he using a weaver mount or is tapping holes?

Are they using it for USPSA type shooting? Good results?

- I always liked the idea of that interchangable dot module...don't have any clue on how well it worked though?

Flex,

The interchangeable reticles worked great. There was a very minor (if any) adjustment necessary to change the recticles.

I would clamp the pistol in a vise with the dot on a reference point a long distance away. Since the recticle is only held in place with one small socket head screw, it is quickly and easily replaced. Once exchanged, I would verify and adjust the zero if necessary. The main difference in zero was what I wanted to use as my "zero". With the diamonds you could use the entire triangle for hosing and then use the top or bottom for zero at other distances.

Leo

Flex,

Yep..I`m from Michigan.. near Detroit.

The new Rev F model are all going to have the new style membrane control pads. They have always had the one button on switches, but the new pad will make it much easier to "feel" the controls.

I don`t see em going with any type of interchangeable reticle module.. again the Military and L/E needs don`t require it. With the way the body is designed and sealed.. I don`t know if it would be possible at all though. I`ll mention it and see what they say.

Jim,

When Doug makes the mounts he takes the hood off of the 511. He uses the 511 since there is already holes in the body for the shroud. If you used the 502, that doesn`t have a shroud, there would be nowhere to mount it. Then you would be forced to use a much higher mounting system due to having to use the weaver type mount on the bottom of the optic. He just removes the protective shroud. He uses the screw holes from the shroud to attach it to the mount. The ones I have seen were single side mounts that are very low. The guys that are shooting them are doing very good.. all are USPSA shooters. One has won at least a couple ( that I know about ) local matches with his rig at a very competitive club.

CS#158

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. I`ve had a few people PM and email me about Dougs mounting system for the EOTechs. I spoke with him yesterday about them. He said if anyone is interested in them, contact him directly and he will give you the details about the mounts.

www.acc-u-rail.com

CS#158

Edited by Flexmoney

• 10 years later...