Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lighter xdm 5.25 9mm recoil spring?

YamaLink

Apologies if this should go in the "spring" section but since that forum doesn't get much traffic....

My xdm 5.25 9mm is stock, and I'm running 124 fmj and 135moly loaded around 130 pf with oal as long as can be while feeding reliably. Pretty mild reloads that make my 9mm 1911 shoot flat and soft like a 22LR.

In the lighter polymer 9mm I find the muzzle flip to be quite "whoa!" Like my shorter barrel Glock .40 with factory ammo!

Maybe I need to work on grip or just get used to it (been a heavy steel gun guy for the past year), but are any of you running different recoil springs for loads similar to mine?

I use WST which is supposedly not a quick/hot powder. I read some use a 147 bullet, but I don't want to slow down the gun too much.

Edited by YamaLink

I've noticed the same sort of thing. I shoot the same load (124cmj 3.9g Titegroup) out of both my 1911 9mm and my XDm 5.25 and the XD has noticeably more flip. I just figured it was because I had spoiled myself by shooting the heavier 1911! The thought has crossed my mind though to play with springs a bit as it seems this one has a little too heavy a recoil spring so I'm in sort of the same boat as you.

I use a 16# Wolff spring and stainless guide rod in my 5.25. Even so comparing it against my 9mm trojan, the 5.25 has alot more muzzle flip then the heavier steel gun. I think it all comes down to weight. I'm probably going to continue using the trojan for IDPA and the 5.25 for 3 Gun. With CC extensions you can get 23 or 24 rounds in the 5.25. I probably need to try some different loads also.

My point of reference is my 9mm STI Spartan and my 5.25 XDm. I shoot 147 FMJ with 3.2 TG (gives 135 PF in the 5.25), with a 9 lb. recoil spring in the 1911 and a 14 lb. Wolf spring in the XDm. As the others, muzzle flip is more pronounced with the XDm - probably a function of weight, but does the barrel sit higher in the frame on the XDm than on a 1911?

My point of reference is my 9mm STI Spartan and my 5.25 XDm. I shoot 147 FMJ with 3.2 TG (gives 135 PF in the 5.25), with a 9 lb. recoil spring in the 1911 and a 14 lb. Wolf spring in the XDm. As the others, muzzle flip is more pronounced with the XDm - probably a function of weight, but does the barrel sit higher in the frame on the XDm than on a 1911?

1911 is higher, but not by much. vic

What's a 147 felt recoil like in your 5.25?

The sight radius is longer so that has to be taken into account, the 4.5 has the same radius as a 5" 1911. When your shooting where is the front sight when the slide returns to battery? That is the question that will determine if a spring change is needed. Just remember if you start going too light in weight you will start to have malfunctions. The XD/m's aren't 1911's they are a totally different mechanical design. You can't totally eliminate muzzle rise and recoil, you just have to find the way to manage it to an acceptable level.

Rich

For years I have been running MG or Zero 147's with 3.4 of Titegroup, I have also shot a couple thousand rounds of AAA 147s, but just last month Doug Carden (DC Ammo) sent me some of his 147 loads that use VV 320 and, man, the difference was big. No muzzle flip.

I have a video of me shooting a knock down steel stage at the Monster Match where I got off 39 shots in 24 seconds and the muzzle was not moving....you could really tell the difference....I am migrating to that load.

The AAA loads are snappier, which some guys like

My titegroup load falls somewhere in between the DCAmmo and the AAA

This was with the 4.5 9mm with a 16 pound spring..just got my 5.25 from Rich....we'll see how it compares

Edited by waynes_world_45

What is the poundage of the stock recoil spring in the 5.25? Will the recoil springs for the XD/XDm fit in the 5.25? I checked with Wolff and they don't have anything for the 5.25 and don't plan on anything in the near future.

Edited by The_Vigilante

Do you notice much of a difference in recoil with the factory spring vs. the 14 lb. wolf spring? I shoot the same load (147 FMJ with 3.2 TG.)

Only problem I've had with mine was a couple of FTF's with the round sticking on the ramp on the way in. A quick rack of the slide and they went right in. I was using the same old 16# spring that was in my 4.5. A new 16# spring from Wolff appears to have cured the problem. I have no idea how many rounds were on the old spring. Pays to change them out from time to time.

Best to stick with the stock spring for reliability: 16lbs at the lightest, or you'll be sorry. I can tell you from experience, as a run and gunner with over 20,000 rounds thru the gun a year, you will have problems with light springs. If you choose to go with the 16lb spring, change it out often. I'm one of the hard headed one's, too. Rich tried to warm me;I didn't listen, and I learned the hard way.

The factor that is not being addressed here is the XD/XDm platforms striker is in the slide and the sear is in the frame. When the gun closes the striker is held by the sear before the slide closes fully and therefore the recoil spring must overcome not only the resistance of pulling the round from the magazine and feeding it, but the striker spring tension also. The 1911 does not do this so you can't go off experience with them. The differential between the striker and recoil springs are what matter here. As a rough test I do this; with a round chambered and with a full magazine inserted, retract the slide slowly about a 1/4 inch and then release it. If the slide does not close fully, your gun may not stay closed during reloads or even when shooting. Instal and aftermarket or refit the barrel tightly and/or add questionable ammo to the equation and you could have real problems.

I use in my 5.25 9mm with minor caliber ammo, a 14 lb. recoil spring but am also using a lighter striker spring I get from Springer precision. I know CC and PRP also have them and are used in most ultra super trigger jobs. Now you probably know this but per the manufacturers, these reduced power striker springs are only reliable with select primers. I use WW or Federal only.

If you mix and match recoil and striker springs in striker fired guns and you don't know what your doing you will have problems. Like putting a 15 lb mainspring in a 1911 with a titanium firing pin, you are going to have some issues. If in doubt, talk to whoever worked on your gun and if they don't understand this, find someone else who does. All this is well known in the Glock and S&W M&P world so it's nothing new.

If in doubt and especially if you are not using the lightest possible load, stick with heavier recoil springs. The stock weight works with most any factory level load I have tried.

Rob

The factor that is not being addressed here is the XD/XDm platforms striker is in the slide and the sear is in the frame. When the gun closes the striker is held by the sear before the slide closes fully and therefore the recoil spring must overcome not only the resistance of pulling the round from the magazine and feeding it, but the striker spring tension also. The 1911 does not do this so you can't go off experience with them. The differential between the striker and recoil springs are what matter here. As a rough test I do this; with a round chambered and with a full magazine inserted, retract the slide slowly about a 1/4 inch and then release it. If the slide does not close fully, your gun may not stay closed during reloads or even when shooting. Instal and aftermarket or refit the barrel tightly and/or add questionable ammo to the equation and you could have real problems.

I use in my 5.25 9mm with minor caliber ammo, a 14 lb. recoil spring but am also using a lighter striker spring I get from Springer precision. I know CC and PRP also have them and are used in most ultra super trigger jobs. Now you probably know this but per the manufacturers, these reduced power striker springs are only reliable with select primers. I use WW or Federal only.

If you mix and match recoil and striker springs in striker fired guns and you don't know what your doing you will have problems. Like putting a 15 lb mainspring in a 1911 with a titanium firing pin, you are going to have some issues. If in doubt, talk to whoever worked on your gun and if they don't understand this, find someone else who does. All this is well known in the Glock and S&W M&P world so it's nothing new.

If in doubt and especially if you are not using the lightest possible load, stick with heavier recoil springs. The stock weight works with most any factory level load I have tried.

Rob

Thanks for the information;it certainly makes since. I read on the forum a long time ago about putting in lighter striker springs when using light recoil springs, but I had forgotten all about it. Although I won't go any lighter than a 16lb spring for the 124 grain load I've worked up for USPSA/IPSC matches, I'm wondering if maybe I should at least try a lighter striker spring as an added precaution. I use Federal primers anyhow, so light primers strikes shouldn't be an issue. Eventually, I want to work up a light 115 gr steel load, and in that case I might try going back to a 14lb spring, but I will certainly put in a lighter striker spring,too.

My gun has been in the Springfield Armory custom shop for a while now. Anything you can do to speed things a long? :rolleyes: ....just kidding. I'm sure they're quite busy this time of year.

Thanks again for the information, and advice. :bow::bow:

Chris

Edited by grapemiester

I have yet to see a striker spring light enough to not set off Federal primers, so you are on top of that. Most of the time the Custom Shop tries to do the trigger job with the factory spring so the gun will light anything. When done right there is only a few ounces difference in pull weight between the lightest and heaviest striker spring. But when the stock striker and 14 lb recoil springs get used together is when you run into reliability problems. Yea, they are very busy, but the wait is worth it.

Rob

• 2 years later...

Rob

Mr Leatham,

I'm going to bring back a dead thread.

I got the Wolff 14 and 16lb springs from PRP. The Wolff reduced recoil "spring kit" came with striker springs as well. I have a PRP trigger, so I called Daniel at PRP and he said that I shouldn't replace the striker spring, and just to throw in the recoil spring, and that's it. He suggested if I'm at minor PF to use 16#, if I'm below to use 14#.

Has your opinion changed at all on the striker spring? Would the trigger job have a lighter striker spring and that's why I don't need to change the striker spring?

Thanks,

Kevin (OM)