Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15.com Rockcastle Pro Am Aug 24-26 2012

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, the 1-4 should be fine for Tac Optics. My understanding is that the flip to side magnifiers are fine for Tac Optics as they stay on the rifle (and have to start and finish on the rifle). An add on that does not stay attached is a different story. I shot last year and all I had was a Vortex Strikefire- options were to shoot the whole match with it at 1x or to screw in the doubler (2x) and leave it for the whole match. Chose the later since I was used to shooting to 300yds with that setup, and glad to have it on the 2 longer range stages. It did slow me down on the close in rifle though- especially the stage with the barrels and the first part of the AM stage with the nice little hill. Had to pick my head up once to make sure I was engaging both targets in a pair stapled together in the shadows. Burris MTAC 1-4x on the new gun I put together though :)

Seems a little silly to me. Not sure why variable mag scopes are allowed but a screw on mag isn't. Or why a flip-out magnifier is okay but a detachable one isn't.

No matter, just have to adjust the gear accordingly.

Because your changing the weight of your rifle and using an entirely different optic if you do. Think of it like this: would you allow a shooter to change optics between stages? While that is in effect what is happening in the case of a flip out magnifier, that is the way the unit is designed and the shooter has to deal with the flip out being in the way for close in targets. If we allowed screw on magnifiers to be removed, we might as well allow a shooter to remove an optic entirely to shoot a close in stage with just iron sights.

I can understand the weight argument, and no, I wouldn't allow shooters to change optics between stages. My take is that a mangifier is not an optic cause there is no aiming reticle, and so removing it isn't really changing your sight, just the same as lowering the magnification on a scope isn't changing your sight (not withstanding the weight change argument).

Nevertheless, its your match and rule set, so this discussion is simply academic at this point. Mostly, I just want to clarify what I can and can't do.

So, just to confirm, for this year, for tac-optics, magnifiers can be either used or not-used on a stage if they are on a flip-out mount and stay attached to the rifle for the duration of the match?

That's how I ran at last years match. Eotech with 4x FTS magnifier. It was never removed during the entire match.

I found this on Accurate Ron's Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=299523480101173&set=a.299523476767840.74172.151393868247469&type=1&theater

Looks like a fun squad. With Grimace on there some may consider it a Super Squad. The guy from Dunkin Donuts is a slepper too.

ProAmApplication.jpg

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Anybody ever stay at the Country Hearth Inn in Bowling Green? Looks like its only about 19 miles away via I65, my dad already booked us a room there, looks nice. Hope the drive isn't too bad to get to the range. Any input would be appreciated. I think I will book the Lodge now for next year, seems like the only way to get in at that one! LOL

They released the stages pretty early last year, but as usual, they aren't 100% accurate. Still need to walk them over the day before to make sure you know where all the shots are.

Yeah, basically round count was close and you had a general idea of the stage but they were different in reality. So it was like most other matches in that respect. ;)

There were some T-shirts available at the match but not a lot and not all sizes. Best to just order one on the entry and not worry about it.

Craig

Seems to be working ok now.

Dude r u back?

I'm back brother! :cheers:

Great... :rolleyes: - I though we were done with you and your midnight hotel lobby in your underwear only shenanigans...

LOL, Glad to hear you are back! :D

Ryan, I got 2 rooms in Cave City for all of us. We'll be happy to let you and Kyle share a room so you can chase each other around the hotel lobby in your underwear. :roflol:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=299523480101173&set=a.299523476767840.74172.151393868247469&type=1&theater

Looks like a fun squad. With Grimace on there some may consider it a Super Squad. The guy from Dunkin Donuts is a slepper too.

ProAmApplication.jpg

Awesome. That will be the squad to watch. ;)

I am in!!! To all the you guys coming to the Rock for this match and cant stay at the lodge, check out the hotels in Glasgow, KY. area, its just about a 20-25 min. drive to the Rock.

ProAmApplication.jpg

Should've asked for a redhead...

After staying in bowling green last year I would recommend against it. There is do much fun stiff going on at The Rock after the shooting is over its a long drive back to hotel to clean up then come back for the fun. If you aren't at the Lodge then Cave City has a few chain hotels. Its much closer if you forget something and have to run back to the hotel I between stages too. Only bad thing is it's a dry county. Bring refreshments from Bowling Green or support the winery at the The Rock.

After staying in bowling green last year I would recommend against it. There is do much fun stiff going on at The Rock after the shooting is over its a long drive back to hotel to clean up then come back for the fun. If you aren't at the Lodge then Cave City has a few chain hotels. Its much closer if you forget something and have to run back to the hotel I between stages too. Only bad thing is it's a dry county. Bring refreshments from Bowling Green or support the winery at the The Rock.

Ditto.

We stayed at the rock last year and reserved this year when the dates came out! Too much fun there and real convienient.

Anybody ever stay at the Country Hearth Inn in Bowling Green? Looks like its only about 19 miles away via I65, my dad already booked us a room there, looks nice. Hope the drive isn't too bad to get to the range. Any input would be appreciated. I think I will book the Lodge now for next year, seems like the only way to get in at that one! LOL

Have not stayed there but the chain is rather nice especially the fresh baked cookies they serve in the afternoon. The only down side I see is that it is in bowling Green and it would be more convenient for you to stay at Cave City to enjoy the evening fun.

There were still rooms available in Cave City, less than ten miles away. I'm currently #11 on the AM waiting list but booked a couple rooms at the Best Western. Stayed there last year and it was clean and convenient.