Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to get more consistency from my 550b?

hello, i just started reloading on my Dillon 550b and i've been noticing that my powder throws can vary between .1 and .2 grains. also, my OAL can vary between 2 thousandths on my 45acp loads. is this normal for a progressive press? I'm loading 45acp. I've also checked all my dies and they are locked down pretty tight. the powder measure is tight as well as i've made sure to tighten the allen bolts that connect it to the powder die. i'm also trying to be really consistent on how i throw the lever. Anything else i can look for?

my crimp die is very consistent and i have no problems seating primers or resizing the casings. the flare also looks to be consistent as well. i've only loaded about 30rounds on 550b, is there a "break-in" period for new loads?

Thanks!

There are many things to take notice of when going for consistency.

1. Sturdy bench

2. consistent pull the the 550 lever

3. Mininmize tool head movement with the Uniquetek tool head that clamps down with allen screws

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1333

4. use all the same head stamp brass

5. use Vihtavouri N320 powder. Nothing else meters so consistently

6. Use the Redding competition seater die

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1282

7. correctly use your calipers

8. Correctly use your powder scale (drop 10 powder drops to see what you have, then divide by 10 to see what your powder measure is throwing)

9. I don't use or need this but you could try the Uniquetek micrometer bar

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1231

Good luck!

No "break in" that I know of. If there is I skipped it.biggrin.gif

Your fluctuations sound about right. Getting an exact powder throw weight can be pretty hard because of so many factors, i.e

The charge can fluctuate

The scale can also fluctuate

Throw ten charges and weigh them all then divide by ten and get your average throw. Do that 4 or 5 times and see if all is staying pretty much the same.

As for oal. 2 thousandths is not all bad but keep in mind. Oals will vary if you don't check it with the shellplate completely full. I set the oal pretty close to what I want then run some rounds through the press until the plate is full. I separate the first few rounds that come off the press then check the oal of the first few that come off after that. Those will be your true oals.

It will also fluctuate if you use mixed brass. Get a batch of the same headstamps and you will see for yourself.

30 rounds! 30 rounds! What you need is experience. I have done over 10,000 and I am still learning. My AOL length is +/-0.001. Across the crono my standard deviations are 2-6. Under 20 is good enough for some folks! Last week I loaded 300 rounds with no crimp cause the crip die was too loose:(:angry2:

Edited by Red Ryder

hello, i just started reloading on my Dillon 550b and i've been noticing that my powder throws can vary between .1 and .2 grains. also, my OAL can vary between 2 thousandths on my 45acp loads. is this normal for a progressive press?

.002" variance in OAL is EXCELLENT.

.2 grs is not that great. Settle the powder in the measure really well by tapping the side of the measure a bunch. Then throw 10 or so charges in a case before you actually start loading. Your not using Unique by any chance are you?

As for oal. 2 thousandths is not all bad but keep in mind. Oals will vary if you don't check it with the shellplate completely full. I set the oal pretty close to what I want then run some rounds through the press until the plate is full. I separate the first few rounds that come off the press then check the oal of the first few that come off after that. Those will be your true oals.

It will also fluctuate if you use mixed brass. Get a batch of the same headstamps and you will see for yourself.

Thanks, i didn't know that this was the norm. also, i was loading one round at a time going real slow and checking everything along the way, then when i loaded them one right after the other (normal operation), i noticed the OAL does change with the plate full. wish i would have known this sooner! thanks for letting me know that this is normal though.

.002" variance in OAL is EXCELLENT.

.2 grs is not that great. Settle the powder in the measure really well by tapping the side of the measure a bunch. Then throw 10 or so charges in a case before you actually start loading. Your not using Unique by any chance are you?

thanks, i'm going to go with what i have for my seater and crimp die then. i am using W231 for my powder. it's getting pretty consistent now, but i have to throw about 5 or so powder charges before it gets consistent. i'm using an RCBS Chargemaster 1500 to weigh the charges. i guess i just have to keep a clean case with a spent primer in it, and throw a few charges before i start really loading.

Edited by codemonkey001

I think your whipping the wrong dog! Most scales are accurate to +-.1gr what this means is 4.2 4.3 4.4 are all valid readings for the exact same weight yep, + or - .1gr.

Since you have a new loader there is a possibility that you failed to remove all "oil" from all parts of the powder measure and drop. This is the primary cause of drop variance when the drop tube has some lubricant in it the powder sticks to it.

I like my RCBS Electronic as I liked my Frankford Aresnal, but I keep a Dillon Beam scale because I trust it! Electronic's are good but in cold weather they can get a bit nuts, so having a cross check is nice.

Edited by CocoBolo

i guess i just have to keep a clean case with a spent primer in it, and throw a few charges before i start really loading.

Exactly! Before each loading session the last thing I do before dropping primers down the tube is check my powder charge weights. I just pull the button out of station 2 and slide an empty case in and out through there into the powder drop station.

Then, if the press sits idle for even a few minutes the charge will be off on the first throw. It's not that big a deal but it is just how the press works.

Edited by Kevin Sanders

I always check my powder throw when I start a new session by dropping several charges in an empty case, just to be sure. The first 3 or 4 will be heavy but then it normally goes back to what ever setting I have on the powder die. I found it really helps with powders like Unique, to polish the inside and flat portions of the powder bar with polishing compound and a Dremel tool. I recently changed to WSF and this powder meters much more consistently than Unique.

If you want to know what your powder measure is doing, throw 10 charges and weigh that, then throw another 10 charges and compare the weight, if there is much difference you might want to look at a different powder.

You didn't mention what powder you are using, some meter better than others, WW231 is extremely consistent, the MOST CONSISTENT powder I have ever seen is Trail Boss, every single charge is exactly the same, but Trail Boss isn't always the powder you need, great for revolvers, I don't think its much good for auto loaders though.

When I fill the powder measure, I always throw several charges and dump those back in the hopper to settle things down, before I weigh one to double check everything is where I left it.

Edited by g56

If you want to know what your powder measure is doing, throw 10 charges and weigh that, then throw another 10 charges and compare the weight, if there is much difference you might want to look at a different powder.

You didn't mention what powder you are using, some meter better than others, WW231 is extremely consistent, the MOST CONSISTENT powder I have ever seen is Trail Boss, every single charge is exactly the same, but Trail Boss isn't always the powder you need, great for revolvers, I don't think its much good for auto loaders though.

When I fill the powder measure, I always throw several charges and dump those back in the hopper to settle things down, before I weigh one to double check everything is where I left it.

i'm using Winchester 231. i didn't know it was common practice to throw a few charges just to check the weight and then start loading.

what i was seeing was on the first round, i'd throw something like 5.8grs and then on the subsequent rounds, i'd throw 5.7 or 5.6, and then it would be consistent, 5.6 after that. it'd only stop being consistent when i would stop, and then start again. oh, and i am measuring using my Chargemaster as well as my 5-0-5 scale, just to make sure everything is calibrated correctly.

i guess if i'm looking to reload a few rounds, i'll have to be dedicated to it, and just load a few hundred instead of 10 or so here and there.

thanks!

Edited by codemonkey001

what i was seeing was on the first round, i'd throw something like 5.8grs and then on the subsequent rounds, i'd throw 5.7 or 5.6, and then it would be consistent, 5.6 after that. it'd only stop being consistent when i would stop, and then start again.

thanks!

So always stop with the handle in the down position. Fill the hopper with the handle in the down position. Stays more consistent like that.

Congrats on the new press, the 550 is awesome machine and should serve you well. (I'm still using one I got in '87 or so!) Anyway, I’m guessing you are using a 200gr SWC since you mention using 5.7gr of WW231. A 200g H&G 68 or similar SWC over 5.7 of ww231 is a tried and true recipe and a great .45 load.

Very similar pre-loading ritual here - throw some charges to settle the powder measure down (equalize the bulk density - could strap a little vibrator on the hopper but that would just be too kinky!), then do two or three 5 throw measures before and a 5 throw measure or two every couple hundred rounds or whenever I need a little break from pulling the handle. It is very tempting to just start yanking and cranking rounds out cold, but if the powder is off and you find it (or not!) after you are well into a batch…will that can be a hassle and possibley dangerous depending on how much it is off. I’ve used ww231 a lot and it meters very well. Even if it varied by +/- 1/10 or so, it is very doubtful you would even notice as far as performance or accuracy.

You OAL variance of +/- 0.002” on a .45 is darned good, especially if you are using cast bullets. For future reference, your seating die may have different seating plugs for different shape bullet noses so if you are not getting the OAL consistence you expect then try a different seating plug. Even if it doesn’t “seem” like it should make a difference, the geometry of how the seating plug contacts the bullet is really important and a plug you might not expect to could give you more consistant results.

I usually don't worry about .1 or .2 gr variances as long as I am not near the max pressure and those variances will still chrono what I need. I think some can be said for powder "wearing in" the funnel to get it to be smoother. Also, depends on what powder you are using. Long stick powders can be touchy on the 550s. ALWAYS check your charges and adjust in station 2 before loading live. On every adjustment, I drop 2 charges that go right back into the hopper and check the 3rd charge for weight.

With the OAL problem if you want it closer you can only use one headstamp and trim all your brass prior to loading that will make it the correct OAL. They do make a die were it don't matter the length I think Lee does but I can't recall the name of the die if I remember I will post it up.