Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone cast their own

TBeazlie

I want to make B class in 2012 shooting limited with my Glock 24. Since I plan on shooting the crap out of it and I am semi retired (limited funds), I plan on casting most of my practice bullets. I already have plenty of lead alloy and molds. Currently I am using two Lee 401-175-TC 6 cavity molds, sizing with a Lee 401 push through sizer. Alloy is wheel weight or range scrap sweeted with a little tin. I am tumble lubing with 45/45/10 JPW/LLA/MS and loading over 5.4 gr VV340 to OA length 1.120. I am using am using a Lone Wolf barrel. I have not run these over the chrono as yet. I have several pounds each of Bullseye, Universal Clays, Titegroup and SR 4756 once I run through the pound of VV 340. Anyone else cast their own and if so what mold, alloy, lube, powder do you use.

I have a 200 gr. SWC Magma mold and sometimes I borrow my son's Lyman 175gr. TC. I use wheelweights and sometimes add a little tin or solder. Water quenching seems to help also. WST and Solo 1000 are pretty good powders for lead. Don't you have to be careful with lead and a Glock?

I shoot as-cast and tumble-lubed.

I would stick with L-SWCs if you gun handles them.

Never got very results with L-RN.

This won't work for action shooting, but Lee's 145gn SWC is very accurate in my .40s.

You could look at SAECO's 4-cavity #047 200gn L-TC mold.

One thing about action shooting, about all you need from a cast bullet is for the base to be completely filled out. A whole lot of the fussiness one goes through for 25yd and 50yd Bullseye-type shooting is of no consequence in action shooting.

I run two 4 cavity molds, Lyman 401638, a 175 grain truncated cone, size them to .401 on a Star lubrisizer. I use any lube that is cheap or free, currently using Jakes Products lube

4.8 gr Bullseye or 5.3 gr Unique, OAL is 1.125, mixed headstamp brass.

Lead is either straight wheelweights or straight range lead.

These loads are run thru an STI Edge, 5 inch barrel

I cast a lot for different calibers including rifles.

In .40 I cast:

Lee 175 TC in a 6 cavity, comes out near 180gr.

Lee 175 TC 6 cavity mould I had milled down so it makes a nice 150 gr. TC bullet

2 x Lyman 2 cavity 200 TC moulds that come out @ 213grs.

NOE 4 cavity that makes a 200 gr. TC bullet

LBT 2 cavity makes a 230 gr. WFN with a gascheck

Mailny use regular WW's for lead except when I cast smaller caliber rifle bullets and hunting style bullets for handguns then I use a better mix.

Everything is sized and lubed on my Star that is loaded with White Lable Lube.

Neal in AZ

That Lee mold is one of my favorites. Bang out six bullets with one pour. I used to TL too but eventually tired of the mess. Lube/sizing with harder lube more time consuming but doesn't leave residue in the mags and that means no dust sticking when you ditch mags during the COF. I run my cast for match ammo and get just as good reliability as guys running jacketed.

After emptying several jugs of Bullseye (4.6gr), I have now become a HP38 fan. Cleaner, less smoke and takes slightly less to make Major. Want to eventually to try VV N320.

My alloy actually pretty soft. I mix 4 part pure lead to one part lino or two parts pure lead to one part recycled range pickups. No leading at Major through a LW barrel.

I want to make B class in 2012 shooting limited with my Glock 24. Since I plan on shooting the crap out of it and I am semi retired (limited funds), I plan on casting most of my practice bullets. I already have plenty of lead alloy and molds. Currently I am using two Lee 401-175-TC 6 cavity molds, sizing with a Lee 401 push through sizer. Alloy is wheel weight or range scrap sweeted with a little tin. I am tumble lubing with 45/45/10 JPW/LLA/MS and loading over 5.4 gr VV340 to OA length 1.120. I am using am using a Lone Wolf barrel. I have not run these over the chrono as yet. I have several pounds each of Bullseye, Universal Clays, Titegroup and SR 4756 once I run through the pound of VV 340. Anyone else cast their own and if so what mold, alloy, lube, powder do you use.

I use the same mold as you do . I shoot the casts through a G35 with a KKM. Set @ 1.100" oal ,4.4gr N320 , and Fed SP.Using Lee alox ( I dont do the tumble mess thing ,I put the lube only in the micro grooves where it should be)

My current batch is alloy'd to 2 parts Monotype with 3 parts wheel weights , and water quenched = 165gr ....This is the best alloy i made yet,it fills the mold real nice,and its the cleanest. After about 200rds, it would take just one stroke of a tuff brush to clean the barrel. Too bad Monotype,Linotype,and WW(with lead and arsenic) are no longer made. I havent tried range lead yet but i dont see a problem with it. Normally I alloy 5 parts WW and 1 part Monotype ,water quench = 178gr