Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice on gear for USPSA single stack

SJan

So I have this Springfield I would like to shoot in single stack beginning next year. It started as a GI, Updated with lowered & flared ejection port, Smith & Alexander grip safety, Colt extended thumb safety, Action job, Wilson hammer & sear, Ed Brown trigger, Double Star MSH, the rear of slide is serrated, its all Coated in Sniper Grey & Armorer Black Cerakote and finished with VZ grips. It runs and looks great, but I guess I need to post more before I can post a pic. Anyway it may need some tweaks, and I definitely need belt gear.

Looking for suggestions or comments on gear

MAGWELL.

I don't want to change the mainspring housing if I don't have to. Does anyone have experience with the Wilson Combat 'Auto ez loader' drop in? I realize I will have to clearance the inside of my grips but I'm ok with that.

I also like the SP or TGO model from techwell, any experience with these? I like my VZ grips I have now, but the G10 option on the techwells should be comparable.

SIGHTS

I have 3 dot Novaks, I like them, I shoot them well, but It seems everyone uses an adjustable rear with a fiber optic front. Will I have a disadvantage with my current sights?

Thumb Safety

Just about all the single stack, limited or open guns I see have ambi safety. Why does a right handed shooter (me) need an ambi safety?

Clips

(magazines, are you paying attention?) I have 8, 8-round mags, and 1 more 7-round, Is this enough? yes they all work.

Holster

I have a bladetech, but I'm not happy with it. Seems a little flimsy. I have been using a comp-tac for my M&P in production, so another comp-tac makes sense for my 1911. Ready Tactical also seems popular, any experience with either of these specifically for a 1911 in competitions.

Mag pouches

I was thinking of running two of the Safariland open top slimline (775-53) any first hand experience with these? I don't think I'll like any of the quad pouches on the market. My other choice would be six singles from Ready Tactical.

Belt

I have a CR Hi Torque Belt inner/outer for my production setup. If I find myself switching back and forth Ill buy a second.

Ammunition

I will be reloading, but that's an entire different tread.

Am I missing anything?

SIGHTS

I have 3 dot Novaks, I like them, I shoot them well, but It seems everyone uses an adjustable rear with a fiber optic front. Will I have a disadvantage with my current sights?

If you shoot them well I wouldn't change them. That pretty much applies to everything, imho.

Thumb Safety

Just about all the single stack, limited or open guns I see have ambi safety. Why does a right handed shooter (me) need an ambi safety?

If you have a weak hand only stage it can come in handy, yeah you can hit it with your right thumb and then transfer. But it's nice to have the option. Personally I also like them from an RO point of view. I can see what position it's in in the holster. Not a big deal, only works for 1911 type firearms, but I kinda like that aspect of them.

Clips

(magazines, are you paying attention?) I have 8, 8-round mags, and 1 more 7-round, Is this enough? yes they all work.

That's enough.

Holster

I have a bladetech, but I'm not happy with it. Seems a little flimsy. I have been using a comp-tac for my M&P in production, so another comp-tac makes sense for my 1911. Ready Tactical also seems popular, any experience with either of these specifically for a 1911 in competitions.

Like the sights, if you don't like the bladetech, then try something else. Can you borrow a couple to try? I've got some blade techs and a Ready Tactical. I like them both.

Mag pouches

I was thinking of running two of the Safariland open top slimline (775-53) any first hand experience with these? I don't think I'll like any of the quad pouches on the market. My other choice would be six singles from Ready Tactical.

I like the single pouches. That's just a personal preference and can have a lot to do with the size of your waist line. Mines plenty big :)

Am I missing anything?

Go have a good time :cheers:

I'd recommend the Safariland 5198 holster, combined with four or five Safariland 773 mag pouches.

Personally, I prefer these to all the other kydex stuff out there. I've tried Blade-Tech, Ready Tac, and Comp Tac.

Once you start reloading, quickly figure out what type of load that you prefer: fast-and-snappy or slow-and-loping. A 230 round nose loaded to Power Factor will be pretty "lopey" feeling; a 185 loaded to the same Power Factor will seem to cycle faster. Powder selection is a big part of this also.

Get with an experienced shooter and tune the recoil spring weight to your load and your shooting style. The 17# to 18.5# that are in most Government Models is a bit too stiff for most shooters.

A big +1 for Safariland gear. I converted all my stuff from Ghost & Kydex holsters, belts and pouches to Safariland ELS and QLS systems. This stuff is great. It also doubles for my 3Gun rigs.

I do not get the wear marks on my guns I got from Kydex stuff.

Hello: I like the Safariland 771's and use 6, yes 6. I also use a Comp-tac belt holster which is very nice and faster than the Blade Tech. I want to try a Ready Tactical holster next to see how it is. I would buy another belt now that way you don't have to switch back and forth. I use a CR Speed for the Safariland 771's since they fit easier than the DAA belt. Thanks, Eric

I carry 6 mags as well. I hate anything on the rear sight but if you shoot it well, go for it for now. I would plan on changing your MSH, as the one you have will not work with a magwell, and that Wilson thing is not any good. I have been using a blade tech holster for the last 7 years. I have a comp-tac and it is basically the same other than external appearance. Safariland mag pouches are nice but nearly any mag pouches work fine. I agree with others that singles are ideal.

I always recommend the 771's. Best (fastest), cheaper than CR's. I use comptac, don't care for bladetechs.

I use a fixed rear, plain. FO front. Getting the sight/notch width ratio to where you like it is important too.

Ambi's are not necessary, they break more often too. I prefer single sided, with a small paddle.

I run 185gr LSWC, down from 200gr. I don't notice much of a difference except my point of impact is closer to point of aim with my fixed sights. I like the way the gun tracks with them.

I think I only have 5 mag pouches, not sure I can fit 6 plus a holster on my belt.... :devil:

Dry fire reload, dry fire reload, dry fire reload.

My SS blaster is a Kimber Gold Match II, and my son's is a Kimber Custom Classic Target.

MAGWELL.

I have S&A magwells on both our Kimbers. Mine is the arched MSH and my son's is flat. I have big hands and like the arched a lot better than the flat. I had a DP Ice on it for a while, but didnt like it.

SIGHTS

I like the DP FO front sight with the stock black target rear. The green FO works best for me. I have my sighted in for POA=POI, so the the dot of the front sight is almost like having a green dot scope on it. Place the green dot on the A zone and squeeze. I wasnt as comfortable with the all black front target sight.

Thumb Safety

I had to replace both the stock Kimber safeties, as they had a bump on them that was rubbing our hands raw. My GM had an ambi on it, but put a larger WC single sided safety on it, as I didnt feel an ambi was necessary. I did have a problem one time on a stage where I had to transition from strong hand to weak hand. After the transition, the knuckle of my first finger bumped up the safety. I may be putting an ambi on this winter.

Clips

8 is enough, but it never hurts to have a couple more, just in case. This past weekend I was at a hose fest match, and could use 7 on the belt.

Holster

My son and I both have Bladetechs, and they work quite well. Mine is the Ice model, and I think it's a little quicker on the draw than the standard Bladetech. So far we have been quite pleased with both.

Mag pouches

CR Speed mag pouches with the 1911 spacers rock!!! They move the mag away from your body a little.

Belt

CR belt or AA. From what I've read the AA is a little thicker/wider, so some mag pouches may be a PITA to get on, but once on they wont be going anywhere.

I ordered a comp tac holster on black friday, I pretty much had my mind set on one anyway. After much thought I also ordered a dawson ice magwell. I'll stay with the sights and safety currently on my gun.