Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cases not depriming in 650, ideas?

I converted back to .40 to lay in a winter supply and I'm getting about 10% cases not depriming. Running them back through usually deprimes, and I've re-set the die to the toolhead, then back a quarter turn. I guess my real question is whether you would ever need to replace the spring on the deprime rod? It should have 70,000 or so cycles on it at this point.

Matt

You probably need to round the corners on the tip of the deprime pin. That usually fixes it. Chuck it in a drill and hit the edge with a file.

You're most likely having the primers drawn back in because they are sticking to the pin.

-Steve

Check the spring on the depriming pin along with the retaining clip hat holds the depriming pin in place. Mine was doing that, when I went to inspect the die I noticed the retaining part was broken aand alowing a little flex.

Funny I have a brand new 650 and when I load the .40sw, I too am getting the same problem. All components are new. I have a 550 too and it won't do it on that. I have the die set exactly how the manuals says. On my 9mm, 357 sig and 45 acp, no problem, just the 40 sw.

You probably need to round the corners on the tip of the deprime pin. That usually fixes it. Chuck it in a drill and hit the edge with a file.

You're most likely having the primers drawn back in because they are sticking to the pin.

-Steve

That is the typical fix.

I use the RCBS Pow'r punch. Its a spring loaded depriming pin that compresses and bottoms out as it pushes the primer out, then once it clears the pocket, the pin springs forward and literally flicks the primer off the tip. I used to get a lot of stuck primers, but have never had even one once i put this on thousands of rounds ago.

Hmmmm. Have done thousands of 9, 38, 40 and never had that problem with my 650.

The issue is specific to the Dillon Decapping pin not the 650. I've had what I call Primer Suck Back with the dillon die on my LNL as well as the XL650. When it happens I take the decapping pin over to the grinder and put a 30 degree angle on the tip then radius the edge, No more primer suck back. I have not had Primer Suck Back when using the Hornady Die, or the Lee Die, but the Lee Die have other more compelling issues.

Have you ever put too much taper on it and turn it into a primer spear and poke through instead of push out?

Not yet. Radius not pointy like a trash spear, the tip is still flat but at an angle. The angle in theory turns the primer out so if it does stick it won't hit the hole coming back.

I had the same problem with my 1050 but found a solution, plus I do it for all calibers.

My solution for the decapper was to NOT use Dillon pins but instaed use Lyman pins.

You take a broken Dillon pin, file/grind the remaining pin from the cap, drop the Lyman pin into place, then drop the Dillon cap on top and assemble as usual. The Lyman pins are smaller in diameter and cheaper plus more readily available.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same problem with my brand new set of Dillon dies.(40S&W $62.95) Do I have to take the to a grinder to get them to perform correctly?

I bought these becasue I thought they were the best.

Me too... I've had it happen on near a dozen of my very 1st 250 rounds on my new 650... Kinda freakin' irritating isn't it..?!?

I do like the sound of that spring loaded one mentioned a short time ago that "Pops" 'em free, what I don't particularly care for is

the fact that I may end up buying one when I too already thought I had the best my $$ could buy...

I really would've been more tickled w/ "0" problems, but... I keep telling myself "It is but a mechanical device..."

Then I try to just grit my teeth and drive on...

• 2 weeks later...

Check the spring on the depriming pin along with the retaining clip hat holds the depriming pin in place. Mine was doing that, when I went to inspect the die I noticed the retaining part was broken aand alowing a little flex.

I just fixed this last night . Mine was doing the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk