Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Super 1050 broken crankshaft

When loading last night, the handle got wobbly for no apparent reason. I took the lower assembly apart and the crankshaft had broken into two pieces!

The machine is about 2.5 years. It does not have a autodrive system on it.

post-171-0-90933300-1322001985_thumb.jpg

Edited by benos
downsized massive pic

Wow! That s@cks.

Even though the 1 year warranty is up, I would still send it to Dillon. If they determine it was a quality flaw, they will replace it. They WANT happy customers. They also have ways to determine if it ever had an auto drive based on wear patterns...

Let us know what you decide and/or what they say.

I called Dillon and worked my way up to a supervisor.

I explained the issue and was told it has a 1 year warranty only.

So I had to buy a new one for $79.

Dillon has toughened up their "BS warranty on the 1050, No-BS warranty on other presses" in recent years. When I bought my 1050, I was assured they would "never enforce the one year limit against a home user unless it was obvious abuse". When I tried to collect on that years later I was told "Mike told us to tighten up on the 1050 warranty and stop giving away free parts unless it's within the one year".

I just wish they would stop trying to con us with that "it's a commercial press" line. No, it isn't a Camdex. A more straightforward answer would be "a market analysis indicates that unlimited support is not the profit maximizing stragegy for a press that has little competition in its price/performance niche".

The 1050 is a great press, but there are limits in both support and quality. It looks like a cast part failed - something that should have never happened, period.

Same thing happened to me about a year and a half ago. Handle started felling strange and WHAM, the tool head fell to the bottom. Had to stand there a few mins and scratch my head to figure what happened. I had to jump through a few hoops with Dillon but they ended up sending me a new one free but I had to send them the old one. No word back as to what might have caused it to break.

I still think it was a casting flaw. The break looked old and progressive.

>Boomfab,contact me directly at 800-223-4570 ext 311. If you send me that broken crank, we will inspect it to see if it is defective. This part is machined from billet steel, then heat-treated. It is not cast. The only cast parts on the Super 1050 are the frame and toolhead.

Rob, based on sales information, for every commercial loader using a Camdex/Ammoload, there are many more using 1050-series machines commercially. While we won't release any names, you would probably be suprised at which major manufacturers use the Dillon Super 1050 to produce the ammunition they sell.

The release of the auto-drive has resulted in greater enforcement of the one-year warranty on the Super 1050. In our experience most users of them don't want to admit to it. We have used one to test parts to destruction, so we can see the stress patterns resulting from their incorrect adjustment.

I must have gotten a good one - I've been cranking on by 1050 for 15+ years and the only thing that ever went bad was the lever that moves the primer slider doohickie - a cheap enough part. It's one nice press and worth the premium over the 650 just for it's generally feel and coolness. I guess it's no loss that I have been too cheap to buy an autodrive.

Rob so have I. I sent my loader back about two years ago for refurbished. I am sure when they received my loader they probably said this one is going to cost us anyway.But every dollar I spent from shipping to the cost of $150.00 was worth it.It is literally like a new machine. If the crankshaft breaks after 15 years oh well what do you expect. New loaders should not break after a few years though.

Yeah, lots of posts on them a while back. They're finicky things. I gave up on using one after battling it for a bit. Supposedly they work better on the Super 1050's, but they have no interlocks, so if they start bending something, you won't know about it until it breaks.

Likewise I've heard stories of fairly large ammo manufacturers (some overseas) using rooms of 1050s to load less-popular calibers.

I've loaded more than 175,000 rounds on my used-when-I-got-it 1050, so if anything breaks I just call and pay for a replacement if they'll let me. Sometimes they don't.

>Boomfab,contact me directly at 800-223-4570 ext 311. If you send me that broken crank, we will inspect it to see if it is defective. This part is machined from billet steel, then heat-treated. It is not cast. The only cast parts on the Super 1050 are the frame and toolhead.

That's the reply I was somewhat expecting. Thanks Gary.

be