Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloading bench

cam1

Does anyone know where to get and what to look for in a reloading bench. My work bench has overhead cabinets 33 - 34 inches in height to the cabinets, they are recessed about 7 inches. So, I am assuming the 650 with a case feeder probably won't fit. I am looking at buying a bench (don't have time to make one, work 60 plus hours a week) but i am not sure where to go. I have searched the web but nothing seems to fit. If anyone has any links they could send me I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Cam1

Go to Amazon and search for 90164. I'd post a link but I'm not allowed. :-)

Anyway, I recently put one of these together and was pretty pleased with the results. The kit includes the plastic legs and shelf parts along with hardware, but you do have to purchase your own wood.

The nice thing about this is that you can make the desk to your own dimensions. Mine is four feet deep and six feet long, and it's very stable with my Hornady progressive with case and bullet feeder. I know you said you don't have time to make your own, but the nature of the kit means that assembly is much quicker than building a desk from scratch. I took my time and got mine done in a couple of hours.

Edited by acekc

I recently did a 2x4 basicas kit for my loading bench and have been very happy with it. I ended up doing a 2'x8' bench which worked out well because I got one thick sheet of plywood and did the top and the lower shelf. Once you have all the wood cut it goes togeather easy and after stacking lots of brass and bags of shot on the bottom shelf it is very sturdy.

Neal in AZ

thanks for all the help with the benches. I'll be putting something together this weekend when my son comes back from college to help. Kevin, my wife put a stop to me using the coffee table to mount my press. devil.gif thanks for the pics though.

Cworks,

Can you tell me the dimensions of the bench? That would work great in my garage.

Thanks,

Cam1

Think this link will take you straight to my picture. On my phone so not sure. http://www.brianenos...attach_id=46465

37" tall

72" wide

24" deep

1 3/4" thick table top

I screwed it into two studs in the wall and its rock solid. Think I paid right around $200 for it. I am asking for another one for Christmas. That way I can dedicate that one to reloading and the new one to gun cleaning and tinkering

Edited by cworks

I used these plans as a basis for my bench.

http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/downloads/bench_plans.pdf

I thought I was going to build it myself than realized I didnt have the time. My wife suggested I call a local furniture maker and ask for a price. I provided the NRMA plans. He told me $2K delivered with set up in my basement. This is what I ended up with

FinishedBench004.jpg

FinishedBench005.jpg

Materials for the NRMA plans when I priced them up were $1200 not including the maple top ($300). I was pricing to use plywood the bench maker used maple. I would have wasted easily more than $800 in my time and from woodworking mistakes for a crappy bench if I did this on my own.

Support your local craftsman you may find their skills and connections allow them to build what you are looking for much cheaper than you would have expected.

Well I just got home from home depot and spent $190 dollars to build my bench. It is going to have metal removeable legs, and be built at a sitting height, it will have shelves and will not be anywhere near as fancy as above, but I will post the end result as soon as I get it done. Hopefully tomorrow.

It doesnt have to be fancy. It just has to be what you need to make it work for you. Mine does many duties besides reloading not the smallest of which is therapy area after the kids are in bed. I'll be heading down there in about 20 minutes to start pulling .45ACP.

Cam1, I had a similar problem. I was using my work bench in the garage, but got tired of freezing to death or sweating like a pig out there. For our anniversary, my wife agreed to a bench that I could put in the basement. I found a 5' bench from Sears, along with a top cabinet and a free standing shelf unit underneath. They had several options, and some very nice heavy duty ones. You might find something on sale now. Here's a pic of right after I put it together.

IMG_0668.jpg

Well my son and I built a bench over the last couple of days, but I can't seem to get it uploaded. Some of the pics are 1.7 mb. If anyone can tell me how to get it uploaded without getting an error message I would appreciate the help. I went to help and it wasn't much, help that is. I keep getting an error message, "no file selected for upload. Thanks.

That is one sweet bench. I am drooling.

I used these plans as a basis for my bench.

http://www.shotgunsp...bench_plans.pdf

I thought I was going to build it myself than realized I didnt have the time. My wife suggested I call a local furniture maker and ask for a price. I provided the NRMA plans. He told me $2K delivered with set up in my basement. This is what I ended up with

FinishedBench004.jpg

FinishedBench005.jpg

Materials for the NRMA plans when I priced them up were $1200 not including the maple top ($300). I was pricing to use plywood the bench maker used maple. I would have wasted easily more than $800 in my time and from woodworking mistakes for a crappy bench if I did this on my own.

Support your local craftsman you may find their skills and connections allow them to build what you are looking for much cheaper than you would have expected.

I figured it out! My son came home from college and we actually accomplished building a bench. We ordered a Dillon 650 and accessories on Friday from Brian Enos. But I screwed the order up a bit. Michele Enos was nice enough to call and say they will fix my mistake. I wouldn't have slept well with out that call. Great customer service. Now to get on with the reloading forums to figure out how to produce good loads. Thanks for all the help with the decision on the bench.

Cam1

post-34801-0-10461700-1322432708_thumb.j

post-34801-0-82889600-1322432817_thumb.j

post-34801-0-06000700-1322432980_thumb.j

post-34801-0-57759500-1322433023_thumb.j

post-34801-0-96976600-1322433079_thumb.j

I just wanted to share a few pictures of my new bench I have been working on, the legs are metal and can be unscrewed from the table and have screw on feet to add a little more height. I haven't worked out my shelves for the back of the bench but I will be adding some kind of shelving to the back. The top is 2 pieces of ply laminated together. I have just been working on applying polyurethane to the top which is fairing time consuming, takes a while to dry.

This is a very easy bench that anyone could build. you just screw the flanges into the bottom and you can get the metal pipe in any length you wish, i believe home depot will cut it and thread it for you. I do plan on doing some work to the legs and the flanges on the feet to make them the same color. The orange caps on the legs are thread protectors.

post-34798-0-80949200-1322601499_thumb.j

post-34798-0-20315600-1322601515_thumb.j

The dimensions of my bench top are 66" x 27" and it's 1.5" thick... that picture is about an hour and a half after I applied the third coat of poly

edit: this is also a pretty low bench compared to others, made for sitting. The legs are nice because you can remove them, and it allows for it to be easily moved or if you needed a smaller bench they could be removed and put away when not in use.

Edited by Scoobb

I bought a simple, counter height, commercial style workbench from Global Industrial. IT has an ESD surface which i thought would be somewhat applicable since we're dealing with flammables and it gets so dry in the winter in my house. The table top is 1.25" thick but it still had some flex so i mounted a large piece of 1/4" steel plate in between the press and the table top and that shored it up %100. Before this, the case feeder bin would rock back and forth during reloading since it sits like 3' above the table top. Now it hardly even moves save for what flex the mounting pole and plastic housing has. I also used some large L brackets to secure the table to the wall studs so the table wouldn't rock back and forth. Pushing the table directly against the wall actually solved any wobble on the upstroke but i thought some brackets would help protect the table from rubbing too much against the drywall and wearing a hole in the wall.

IMG_20110303_102803.jpg