Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Requiem for a 646

COF

Well, finally got around to sending my 646 to S&W to look at the nick in one chamber. Got a call yesterday, saying they don't have anymore cylinders and offering to send me a new 686. I told them I had a 686 and didn't need another one unless it was in .40. Ended up getting an M&P Pro 5" so when I feel like shooting a bottom feeder, I don't have to reach over the top anymore.

Guess that means I have to find another 646, since I've got the holster, moonclips, moonclip holders and 2000 Cheycast 200 RN bullets.

While the PC 646 of 2000 was sold badly due to a out of reach price tag and some shooting issues, the Smith&Wesson 646 of 2003 was sold really well: in 6 or so months the 900 pieces got a new home.

There is a strong request on Gunbroker and similar sites for it.

Why Smith & Wesson doesn't make it anymore, maybe in different barrel lenghts, is something I cannot understand!!!

I've got only 2 of them, first one shot at least 20000 Major Factor rounds, still going well but.......who knows.

Well to make a long story short: I love 646, please S&W make it again at a fair price,please, please.

A nick in the chamber? Was it something that you thought might make the gun unsafe or unshootable?

Yes, I could take a dental pick and feel a divot in the chamber, but I wasn't sure how bad it was. I didn't want to be shooting at a match and have it blow up on me. I'm sure Smith didn't want to send it back even if it was cosmetic.

Hello: You will miss it :( I love the one I have for minor loads. Major loads are a little hard on the hand with 185's but the "X" frame grip helps alot. I would have tried to get it back but that is just me. Thanks, Eric

I know! I bought a 610 in 2002 and shot for a couple years. Bought the 646 in Dec 03 and fell in love with it! It's like some guys prefer K frames over L frames - I prefer the L frame over the N-frame, plus the difference in weight of the unfluted 610 cylinder versus the ti 646 cylinder - felt like night and day!

Didn't sound like they were giving me an option of getting the gun back.

COF,

Sounds like you got taken by the factory, Offering you a $500 gun for a highly sought after $800+ gun. I would call them back and tell them to give me the 646 back. I'll trade you a new m&p pro and something else for it.

COF,

FWIW, American Handgunner magazine has an ad for Florida Arms Mfg. Co. They make custom revo cylinders. If you can get yours back from S&W you might give them a shout! jim@floridaarms.com and their web site www.floridaarms.com

Good Luck,

Richard

TK Custom has some of the best,as well as Ranch who both stongly support the revolver competitions. Please support the vendor list and those that support our sport. Brownell's is a big supporter as well. Even if it cost 2%-5% more, that's only $2 - $5 per $100, but usually they are about the same as others, and send them a note how you appreciate their support.

How good was your deal, if you don't mind the inquiry? I would really like to add one to my collection of shooters.