Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" Recoil Spring help ...

RippSpeed

I have a buddy who wants to start playing with recoil springs to make the 6" Long Slide to shoot flatter ... Cant seem to find a place to order recoil springs in different lbs ...

But, I heard that theres a plug that we can use to run a 5" spring ... Anyone point us in the right direction ???

Hello: Is it a bushing barrel or a bull barrel. STI make one for each. Shooters Connection also carries them :cheers: I would get a 12.5lb ISMI and a 14lb ISMI 5" recoil springs and try those. If the slide is lightened then the 12.5lb is what I use. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Is it a bushing barrel or a bull barrel. STI make one for each. Shooters Connection also carries them :cheers: I would get a 12.5lb ISMI and a 14lb ISMI 5" recoil springs and try those. If the slide is lightened then the 12.5lb is what I use. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Ok sweet checked it out @ shootersconnection and it says I can use a 5" guide rod on this ...

Does that mean I can use a 5" guide rod with this 6" reverse plug in a 6" slide ???

That is what i do, i ditched the 2 piece 6" rod and just went with a 5" rod and the long bushing. Mine is a bushing barrel 6".

sweet ... I guess I came to the right place for my answers...

One last question... hows hard is it to take down with the 5"rod and the long bushing on a Bull barrel???

Eric

its for a bull barrel ... Have a Perfect 10 on order which I'm going to swap in a 40sw bull barrel.

I have a 6" sti eagle bull barrel, I hated the two piece rod. You either couldnt get it apart or they wont stay together. The things suck worse than anything that has sucked before.

I also wasnt a fan of the poke a whole thing. I have been using a standard GI style recoil system for a couple years now. I took a 5" STI rod cut it to the same length as a standard Milspec GI rod plus one inch, and rounded the corners. I use a Wolff light 6 inch spring cut to the proper length. I can take my gun apart in the safe zone without launching springs or digging for paper clips or allaen wrenches.Just like God and JMB intended.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

RippSpeed,

Have your BUD call Dawson Pres, and talk to CHET. think he works 3 days a week,

He will ship you anything you want for a 6" pistol.

Dave Dawson don't seem to talk on the phone anymore. Busy doing Gunsmith thing.

Perry

try the long reverse plug for so you can use a 5 in aluminium guide rod and a 5in 12.5# recoil spring. take down you have to take the slide off before you take out the bushing to get the the guide rod and spring:P

hope that helps. i like to use the 5in al. guide rod to take out some more weight off the front

I ended up with a SV Infinity reverse plug and a Briley 1 piece Aluminum 6" guide rod from Shooters Connection and a 5" 10lb recoil spring... As for my buddy his getting the same set up as well...

I'm going to try this setup first... If it dont work for me I'm use a 5" titanium or a 5" aluminum... Trying to save shave over all weight, since my pistol is a full dust cover...

Edited by RippSpeed

Hello: I am not sure if the SVI 6" reverse plug will work with the 6" guide rod. You may have to use a 5" guide rod if the reverse plug shoulder is short enough to capture the 5" rod. You could use a 5" reverse plug with the 5" rod if the tunnel is not cut back too far or not at all. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I am not sure if the SVI 6" reverse plug will work with the 6" guide rod. You may have to use a 5" guide rod if the reverse plug shoulder is short enough to capture the 5" rod. You could use a 5" reverse plug with the 5" rod if the tunnel is not cut back too far or not at all. Thanks, Eric

why wouldnt be usable ??? They sell 2 piece 6" stainless steel guide rods with it...

Hello: You may not be able to take the reverse plug, recoil spring out with the 6" one piece guide rod. Do you have the pistol to see if it will? With a bull barrel you have to clear the barrel, link and slide tunnel. On the 6" pistol it may not work or at least it has not for me yet. Thanks, Eric

the hard thing is the long reverse plugs for 6 in. guns only come out the back. install and take down of the 1 piece guide rods can be trouble. to fix that problem i took a aluminum 5in guide rod, cut the end off and took the end of a 2 piece then cut and threaded the aluminum guide rod to fit the end of the steel 2 piece base. but that took a lot of machining work and hassle.

Hello: For a bushing barrel you just get the STI 6" plug for the 5" spring and a Briley aluminum guide in either 5" or 6". The Briley guide rod has a steel end. He has a bull barrel so the 6" one piece guide rod will not work from what I can see. Not enough room to remove it from the back with a 6" reverse plug. You will be able to use a 5" reverse plug and a 5" guide rod in the 6" slide. The take down hole maybe a little hard to find in the dark :roflol: Thanks, Eric