Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Loadmaster Pulling Me In...Help

I have been focussed on getting a Hornady LNL or Dillon 550B as my first reloading machine but, unfortunately (?), I watched a couple of very informative videos on "Ultimate Reloader" that actually impressed me with the Lee Loadmaster.

I AM a mechanical perfectionist and I did not see ANY inconsistencies or deflection of the shell-plate from forces during the reloading cycle. The ram itself also seemed to travel in the bore of the machine without any excess clearance, very rigid and true stroke? Likewise, I could not see any undue slopiness in the linkage system at the base of he press while in operation. Additionally, the Primers all seemed to seat cleanly and without issue on every stroke. That fellow was just methodically pumping out what looked like nice , uniform 9mm and .45 rounds by the bin.

The problem comes where you can buy this darn thing ready to go for about $250.00 which includes a caliber of dies and a 4-tube "manual-auto" cartridge feeder. Naturally there are all the other required goodies to purchase, but so too with all the other machines. For someone just getting into reloading and probably not shooting more than 1,500 rnds. of 9mm / .45 ACP Combined a month...its hard not to scratch my chin on this one.

I am still desiring to make very good quality, consistent, uniform, accurate ammo.

ANY Input / brain-asistance Most Welcome and Encouraged.

Thanks All, Steve D.

I have been focussed on getting a Hornady LNL or Dillon 550B as my first reloading machine but, unfortunately (?), I watched a couple of very informative videos on "Ultimate Reloader" that actually impressed me with the Lee Loadmaster.

I AM a mechanical perfectionist and I did not see ANY inconsistencies or deflection of the shell-plate from forces during the reloading cycle. The ram itself also seemed to travel in the bore of the machine without any excess clearance, very rigid and true stroke? Likewise, I could not see any undue slopiness in the linkage system at the base of he press while in operation. Additionally, the Primers all seemed to seat cleanly and without issue on every stroke. That fellow was just methodically pumping out what looked like nice , uniform 9mm and .45 rounds by the bin.

The problem comes where you can buy this darn thing ready to go for about $250.00 which includes a caliber of dies and a 4-tube "manual-auto" cartridge feeder. Naturally there are all the other required goodies to purchase, but so too with all the other machines. For someone just getting into reloading and probably not shooting more than 1,500 rnds. of 9mm / .45 ACP Combined a month...its hard not to scratch my chin on this one.

I am still desiring to make very good quality, consistent, uniform, accurate ammo.

Thanks All, Steve D.

The LNL is an excellent machine, It can be you second loader after the Loadmasters fails to live up to the Video.

I have been using a Loadmaster for about 2 years.

My 2 cents.

-If your brass is perfect it works great. If you intend to use range brass then the priming system will give you trouble. I suspect this in no different on other machines until you get to the point of a machine that swages the primer pockets as part of the process (Dillon 1050?).

-My current loading process for range brass with the Loadmaster is: 1. Clean, 2. De-prime/size on my Lee Classic Turret. 3. Use a primer pocket tool to remove any crimps and size all primer pockets (tool is chucked in a drill press and I run all the brass through). 4. Lube the cases, 5. Prime, charge, seat and FCD on the Loadmaster.

-For brass that I have previously loaded: 1. Clean, 2. Lube, 3. perform all functions on the Loadmaster.

Without lubing the cases the effort is significantly higher to full stroke the press. Since you are priming on the down stroke, anything less than a full stroke results in a high primer.

Priming seems to be the critical step. I have about 2000 cases that I have run through the process and I use these for practice and reuse them. For matches where I will be losing the brass, I shoot Hornady Steel Match and just leave it.

The thing about priming on the press is that you don't have a positive feel that the primer is either fully seated on crushed or somewhere in between. As I understand it some prefer the Lee Pro 1000 because it primes on the upstroke, like a classic turret, and you get a better feel when seating the primers.

Maybe other presses deal with range brass better.

David E.

I started with a Loadmaster because of cost. Worst mistake I ever made. Constantly breaking parts and having to order new ones. OAL was all over the place. The priming system sucks IMHO.

I am not a fan of the LNL but I would definately buy one before I buy another Loadmaster. Dillon for me.

Ughh... After reading 2-3 dozen customer reviews of the Lee Loadmaster from owners on various sites I think I am probably back to burning a much bigger pile of money to get started in this reloading thing. That and the fact that two personal friends would probably beat me with 9-irons...

I guess there is no such thing as a free lunch...

Thanks for your input. SD

I also "had" a loadmaster. My experience was similar to most others & when I finally unloaded it, I think I gave it away for shipping cost. The LNL appears to be a nice loader but the dillon will be a great loader & when or if you ever decide to sell it, you can most times get at least 75% of what you have in it back upon sale. I am not sure the LNL will do that(it might, I just don't know). If you doubt this, search through the for sale section of this forum & see what used dillons sell for & also how long they are for sale.

MLM

I have owned a Lee Classic Turret (LCT), Load Master, 550, LnL and 650 and LCT (to compliment the 650). Bought them in that order. Only ones I would buy again are the LCT, 550 and 650. In fact I have have bought two LCT's because I should never have sold my first one for my LoadMaster. The LoadMaster was a good press EXCEPT the priming system. That was a nightmare beyond description. IMHO get the Dillon. Buy once cry once.

Edited by 98sr20ve

I AM a mechanical perfectionist

Well then in my experience you do not want a Lee Loadmaster. Had one. Got rid of it quickly. Have had have a 550B for 20 years. Great press. No experience either way with the LNL.

I load on a LM. I do about 1k 9mm and 500 40SW a month on it. the priming system works fine when its adjusted correctly. In the beginning I broke a few primer pushers. After watching the vids and redoing the adjustment, I no longer have the problem.I have no problem loading SB or NT stuff on it also.

I am the lone wolf among my friends. they all load on Dillions. Most of them have SDB amd 650's. I would love to get a 650 when LM wears out or breaks. But it not happened yet.

Both the Lee Pro and Loadmaster have some really good ideas. Unfortunately, they are not without their flaws in execution. I have owned both, but sold the Loadmaster. The person who bought it is on this forum and has had very good luck with it.

The two main issues I had with it was the case feeder (which was overly fussy to keep adjusted) and the primer system (which could self destruct if you were not careful). That said, both problems were partly my fault in the way I mounted the press (not secure enough) and operated it (sometimes too fast). I think that if I had that press on my current bench and knowing as much as I know now, I would have less problems.

All that said, now that I have a Dillion 550B, I have discovered the thing that I like the least about most presses is auto-indexing. A manual index just works so much better for me that I wouldn't dream of going back.

Edited by Graham Smith

Both the Lee Pro and Loadmaster have some really good ideas. Unfortunately, they are not without their flaws in execution. I have owned both, but sold the Loadmaster. The person who bought it is on this forum and has had very good luck with it.

The two main issues I had with it was the case feeder (which was overly fussy to keep adjusted) and the primer system (which could self destruct if you were not careful). That said, both problems were partly my fault in the way I mounted the press (not secure enough) and operated it (sometimes too fast). I think that if I had that press on my current bench and knowing as much as I know now, I would have less problems.

All that said, now that I have a Dillion 550B, I have discovered the thing that I like the least about most presses is auto-indexing. A manual index just works so much better for me that I wouldn't dream of going back.

Ok, I've been loading with a Bullet Feeder and a Case feeder for some time. One day I decided to load some 45, and figured I'd skip setting up the case feeder and the the bullet feeder. In less than 100 rounds, I stopped and hooked up the case feeder, stuffing cases and bullets is pure agony. I've loaded on a 550 its not so bad, it reminds me of the first digital watches, the ones where it took both hands to tell what time it is cause you had to push a button to see the time. With an auto index and a case feeder one hand is yanking the ram and the other is stuffing bullets, life is good, with the bullet feeder one hand is yanking the ram, the other is looking for mischief.

I know shooters that use a lee turret, and they are OCD about their ammo and would never consider a auto index or a 550. Retired people have so much time.

The only thing I know about Lee is thier dies, I had them they sucked I sold them and I use Hornady or Dillon now, and Redding for Rifle.

Wait a minute I have a Lee Single Stage $21.00 with the Loading Book, works great for the Redding GRX.

Edited by CocoBolo

I've been reloading on a Load-Master for the past three plus shooting seasons. I just ordered a 650 from Brian because I am sick of the priming issues. Powder drop works great, case feeder is good but the priming, not so much. I had a carrier crack about six months ago and after replacing it not under warranty (only a two year warranty) the press hasn't run as good. I don't want to say that the Load-Master is a bad press, as I loaded about forty of fifty thousand rounds on it but it was just a bit too finicky for me. I will keep it around to load my lower volume stuff on. I think it will be perfect for that.

I had a LM for a few years and when I sold it, I was happy to see it go. It would work for a while, 50-100 rounds then you would have to readjust something. then adjust it again, then again.......at the end I was priming everything by hand then using the press to load the ammo, then I started having all kinds of index problems, I got sick of the issues and just sold it and quit reloading for a while. when I got the Dillon 650 I was amazed that once adjusted it stayed there and I could crank out 1000's of rounds without having to touch anything.

If you want to save some money and start cranking out ammo the Lee classic turret press is a good way to start out reloading. I have set up on my bench between my RCBS single stage and 650.

Edited by ScottyPotty

I have owned a Lee Classic Turret (LCT), Load Master, 550, LnL and 650 and LCT (to compliment the 650). Bought them in that order. Only ones I would buy again are the LCT, 550 and 650. In fact I have have bought two LCT's because I should never have sold my first one for my LoadMaster. The LoadMaster was a good press EXCEPT the priming system. That was a nightmare beyond description. IMHO get the Dillon. Buy once cry once.

I've gone the other way. I bought a 650, and then wanted something for lower volume stuff that didn't cost $175 for all the necessary stuff to change calibers.

I recently got the Lee Classic Turret and am VERY happy. At this point I'm reloading .44 mag with it. The total cost from www.factorysales.com was about $170 with the better powder drop, powder drop riser, safety primer, belling die, and a few other things.

Compared to my Dillon, a caliber change cost about $40 if I use a new powder drop and takes about 1 minutes. (Which isn't really necessary, because you can go back to a previous charge weight in about a minute) If you use the same powder drop, caliber changes take about 3 minutes and costs $12.

If you don't have the dough for a dillon or a lock and load AP, I'd strongly suggest the classic turret. Your speed will be less than with a full progressive, 120 rounds/hr is reasonable, but you will have a reliable machine that you will still own 20 years from now.

As much as I love my 650, I could some day see replacing it with a 1050.

I could not ever imagine getting rid of my Classic Turret.

Don

p.s. there's a reason you see loadmasters for sale for pennies on the dollar and Dillons on ebay selling for nearly the cost of new. By the way, Lee Turrets also bring good money used. Another indication that its a quality product.

Edited by dcmdon

• 1 month later...

Thanks All, Steve D.

Read some of my replys about the Lee LoadMaster on on other threads . Or email me .

God bless

Wyr

• 1 month later...

I've been reloading on a Load-Master for the past three plus shooting seasons. I just ordered a 650 from Brian because I am sick of the priming issues. Powder drop works great, case feeder is good but the priming, not so much. I had a carrier crack about six months ago and after replacing it not under warranty (only a two year warranty) the press hasn't run as good. I don't want to say that the Load-Master is a bad press, as I loaded about forty of fifty thousand rounds on it but it was just a bit too finicky for me. I will keep it around to load my lower volume stuff on. I think it will be perfect for that.

Just sold mine at the big E for $50 more than I paid for it new. Priming was the problem even with there new stuff. Calling Brian Monday for a couple answers. But the new one will be be blue for sure.

Thanks All, Steve D.

I used the Lee 1000 and you can get it to work but it remains a pain in the ass compared to Dillon or Hornady. If you just load a few hundret a months it does not matter but 1500 is already too much to bother with the Lee in my opinion.

Blue or Red is a religious war I fear lol. I loaded both and as I am loading 9 Major I would not consider Blue at all. However, blue is a great press but I prefer red for several reasons and there was just recently a test in the largest gun magazine in Europe and red came out ahead

I'm a dillon man, with one exception. I love my Lee Classic Turret. All the good of a single stage, with just a bit of extra speed.

As far as Lee Progressives, I can only go on what others tell me. I just spoke to a guy (The undertaker at my grandfather's funeral of all places) who had a Lee Progressive and got tired of fiddling.

He eventually bought a SDB and has been very happy.

The lee sits in a box in his basement. When he found what its worth, he decided it wasn't worth bothering to list on ebay/craigslist.

Thats the other nice thing about Dillon. If you list on ebay, there are fools out there who will pay our as much or more than you can buy it for brand new from Brian.

One thing I learned from this guy is that if something isn't set right and you pulled the handle, you could break stuff.

I've never had anything on my Dillon actually break other than the primer overflow tray.

For what its worth, I know 2 people who have the LNL progressive and they love it. If I were in the market for a new press, I'd probably give that a serious look.

It appears to be 650 functionality at a 550 price.

Don

Edited by dcmdon

If you are mechanically inclined, a loadmaster will run as well as any other press.

And you can load 200 primers at a time.

BUT. Out of the box, they need tuning, and a couple small modifications. I have 2, and can do about 600-800 rounds an hour, depending on how many primer trays I get ready ahead of time.

Otherwise, they are prone to flipped/sideways primers that cause jams, poor shellplate rotation, jerky cycling, etc.

If you don't mind tuning your press out of the box, it's fine. If you're not comfortable with doing that, get a hornady or dillon 650.

UPDATE... March 11, 2012

I bought a LNL-AP a couple weeks ago and it has really been good to me so far. I was presice in the die set-up procedure with Dillon Dies and cleaned the dickens out of all internal powder passages with Acetone and it has produced very tight-spec. ammo right from the first pull.

I really like this thing (I don't have any other loading experience to compare it with, though)) and feel comfortable with the investment.

It is interesting how much you need to shut out the world and focus as a beginner. I can see as one get's into a practiced rythem this can generate a few hundred rounds an hour, but I am going real slow and methodical presently at about 60 rnds. / Hr. The good thing is that all cartridges are dropping right into the .45 chamber gage and the variations in OAL and Neck Dia are only + / - .001 of the desired mark.

The powder charges have been extremely consistent also after flushing all interior passages with Acetone. Never more than .1 gr. off as I pull one out of shell plate every 20 rnds. or so and weigh. Also have a "PowderFunnel's" PTX which works GREAT and that allows me to put a powder-cop just after the charge. Watching that little white "O-Ring" pop-up to the same height at every pull is real easy on the nerves. I have no concern of blowing-up my pistol (or worse) as a result of that little rod going up and down.

All in all I am pretty well set-up.

Only critcism thus far is that Hornady should have put a flat stainless stud or "pill" set into the press frame where the underside of the primer-plunger contact the aluminum to be actuated. Aluminum is Soft and Primer Plunger is hard...making a dent digging down into press-frame under shell table. I will probably drill a little hole and epoxy a cut-off stainless bolt to sit flush in the hole eventually. No biggie...

Steve D.

Most of the frame "ding" is caused by people trying "harder" to seat the primer, rather than take the system apart and inspect it.

The only time I had problems seating a primer, I found that the shell plate had loosened.

It's hard at times not to try to force things to work and actually stop and investigate the problem.

The only primer system that might be "better" is on the Dillon 1050 where you set how deep the primer is seated and everything is down when the ram and toolhead comes down.

However, the Hornady priming system is much easier to work with when there is a problem--and every priming system on a press has a problem sooner or later.

Hi Noylj,

I actually have created this little crater by being "extra-certain" that the primer is all the way seated at he end of a cycle with the arm. I guess you could call it "noobie paranoia" regarding getting those primers seated below the cartridge head every time...

I still think I will put a little stud in the frame flush with the surface so the divit does not diminish the seating depth of the primers by a thousandth or two ( I think I may have lost .001 already).

Overall, though, I am absolutley happy with this new contraption. Just finshed rolling another 150 rnds. of 5.6 Bullseye under 200 gr. Hornady HAP-SWC. The measure was crazy-consistent at 5.5-5.6 back and forth for the whole run when periodically weighed. The seating depth and necks also stayed spot-on.

I am psyched...this stuff could pass for high-grade match ammo at about half the price of store-bought regular "white-box" type fodder.