Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Always watch the timer before signing score sheet

Julien Boit

I just learned a hard lesson this week end.

Always watch the timer before you sign the score sheet.

Let me explain :

I shot my last stage of the medcup. A 16 rounds with 4 shooting areas.

At the bip, I engaged the two first targets, then move to the second area, shot the 3rd target, moves downrange, shot the three targets of the 3 rd area on the move and rushes to the last area to engage the two remaining targets.

That's when I realized I had a mike on one of the previous targets, I rushed to the 3rd area and see from above the vision barrier that I really had that mike.

But I decided not to re-engage the target.

The RO had quickly understood what was going on and rushed back too.

You can imagine how pissed off I was for that miss, So I didn't realized when I signed the score sheet, what was my time.

When I saw others shooters after me, I realized that my time couldn't be what was written on the timer.

I shot a 14 seconds stage, and my score sheet showed a 19.70sec.

But I realized after I signed and the next shooter was gone.

I could have seen the bullshit with the split , but I didn't really looked at the timer.

Now I know that even if I screw, I have to calm down quickly and check everything seems right.

My thought is that the RO bumped into something, maybe his assistant, or on one part of the barrier, or something else.

That miss and that long time put me 79th on that stage,when I didn't came under 20th from all of the previous 27 stages.

I hope it will help someone else not to get screwed like I did.

We shot a classifier two weeks ago and the scorekeeper ended up adding the hits into the miss column. Which is understandable because the sheets for all the other stages worked out that way and the scorekeeper was new. Imagine our surprise when we got the results back and our whole squad zeroed the stage.

Don't just check the time, check the scores as well.

CED 6000 timers add 0.06 occasionally, especially on loud guns-- check for that if your RO uses one.

Ah, right. Sure Shred...

;)

Either Shred is telling the absolute truth or I can do a .06 split. Pretty good for a C class shooter :P

Julien,

sorry to heard that, bud.

I have a suggestion for you: here in Italy, among teammates top shooters, there's a good practice going on, which is to have a teammate handy that will meter your time with a stopwatch from beep to last shot.

It's not accurate to 0.1 seconds, yeah, but it will prevent you being added some seconds to the total scored time by mistake.

Hope this helps... :(

among teammates top shooters, there's a good practice going on, which is to have a teammate handy that will meter your time with a stopwatch from beep to last shot.

Wow! I want to shoot in Italy. This post and that one about eating oysters and white wine for a good source of energy ... you guys are heros! :D

Wow!  I want to shoot in Italy.  This post and that one about eating oysters and white wine for a good source of energy ... you guys are heros!  :D

Red carpet already unrolled at airport... ;)

Everybody willl watch each other's points and time on each and every stage.

Julien,

that's the precise purpose. ;)

Wow!  I want to shoot in Italy.  This post and that one about eating oysters and white wine for a good source of energy ... you guys are heros!  :D

And then there was something about Italian Ladies as well ...

Just ask Sky about his team mate Irene :P

Just ask Sky about his team mate

Well paint me green, white, red and throw me on an airplane! Good wine, good food, good teammates, and ... :unsure: good teammates! :D I guess we shouldn't expect any less from the land that produced Sergio Leone.

• 3 weeks later...

My one and only experience with IDPA was, on a stage I shot great, way faster than anyone else, I had a time of 7.40 seconds, every shot center-ring.

The score-keeper didn't hear this right, possibly because all the "regulars" had shot more than ten seconds on the stage. He wrote down 11.40 seconds.

Eleven and seven rhyme, I guess. Didn't see it till the match was over...

• 3 weeks later...

have had this happen to me once. have heard/seen it happen also. IDPA stage.. 18 round course shooting with a couple of friends new extremely green SO...i shoot.. i "cover" my targets. i relax... i unload like 5 seconds later and the round hits the timer. I managed to catch it. and it registered 19 rounds instead of 18. they deducted it... thank goodness.

Thanks for the post julian i have recently neglected to pay complete attention to all the details.

Steve

At one of our local clubs shoots the RO was standing to close to the shooter when the "Unload and Show Clear" comand was given, and the shooters elbow hit the timer. Luckily both the RO and the shooter relized what had happened, and they were able to fix the problem.

• 4 weeks later...

" I just learned a hard lesson this week end.

Always watch the timer before you sign the score sheet."

Julien, i hope i learned this also in a hard way this weekend.

At Roostermountain match 2 we had to shoot stage 3 en 15 after each other.

A 16 shot stage, 8 shots freestyle, and 8 shots with a case carried in the strong hand (stage 3) or the weakhand (stage 15)

Stage 3 i shot with a few points down in 14 seconds.

Stage 15 went good, good hits and no problem with transferring the gun to weak hand, getting the required sight picture etc etc.

I was really happy with this run.

Then the RO says, " your time 36 sec somewhat"

I coulnd't believe that, he had read it wrong :) and he says now 26 sec...

Well because it was 10 sec better i signed because this should be the right time.

Later during lunch i was thinking about how well i was shooting that morning and suddenly realized that there was a hughe difference between the times for stage 3 and 15. I checked with the others in the squad.

A guy shooting production had a not so good run in 18 sec.. on stage 15

Spook with the wheelgun had 19 sec... consider that with 2 weakhand reloads.

Now i knew 26 sec couldn't be the right time..

I also had to check for the last splits on the timer but scoresheets was already signed and a few hours later.....

Hope i learned... :(

Greetings Adrie