Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sit down or stand up

ksmirk

Sitting is bad for your health, and not because you might miss a double charge.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/23/stand-up-while-you-read-this/

Your chair is your enemy.

It doesnt matter if you go running every morning, or youre a regular at the gym. If you spend most of the rest of the day sitting in your car, your office chair, on your sofa at home you are putting yourself at increased risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, a variety of cancers and an early death. In other words, irrespective of whether you exercise vigorously, sitting for long periods is bad for you.

That, at least, is the conclusion of several recent studies. Indeed, if you consider only healthy people who exercise regularly, those who sit the most during the rest of the day have larger waists and worse profiles of blood pressure and blood sugar than those who sit less. Among people who sit in front of the television for more than three hours each day, those who exercise are as fat as those who dont: sitting a lot appears to offset some of the benefits of jogging a lot.

Edited by Leozinho

My 650 is set up for standing. 40" Bench top + 650 Strong mount (plan to post a couple pics soon). Comfortable handle operating range without reaching or bending when stroking the operating handle. I can easily see into pistol cases.

I do have a tall "drafting" stool, but very seldom use it.

I also run a Ponsness-Warren 800 Plus shotshell press. Run it standing (always), and bench height is about 38" if I recall.

I try to limit non-stop loading of anything to about an hour. Then I'll take a break for 10 minutes to move around, etc.

That's what works for me.

Randy

One more vote for standing. I like to be able to see in the cases, and it seems a little easier to operate the handle when I can get my legs into it a little. Brian has some recommendations for height, including measurements, for both sitting and standing in his dillon faq.

I sit w/ a 550. The height of the machine relative to my chair is such that my arm is fully stretched while the lever is on its lowest stroke. My feet flat on the floor. My upper body upright and relaxed thru out the cycle of the lever. This set up I found to be least tiresome. and its my top concern. With less physical stress, I could easily focus on my reloading. I dont care much seeing the case w/ powder, but I could pause and peer thru the case mouth if Im in doubt. Just seeing the powder measure feeder slide back and forth in every cycle is enough for me to know that powder was poured properly.

Edited by BoyGlock

Well the more I mess with this loader I'm with you fella's on standing, now the single stage I like to be sitting so now the task at hand is to design a bench for both presses. I guess we will see what happens.

Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it. Later,

Kirk

• 3 weeks later...

I did all my loading sitting on a bar stool, for a 1050. With my feet under my body and my back nice and straight, I could load for hours with no fatigue. (And see the powder in the cases.)

be

Me too Brian, I actually use a shop stool and I cut about 3 inches off the legs to make it just the right hieght.