Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 thumb safety help

zdog

I love shooting my Colt 1911 but I have hands on the smaller side so I have had to make some changes. I have the short trigger and the thin grips. I used to have the GunSite low ride thumb safety which worked great till I found out that when shooting left handed I kept engaging the safety. This is not a good thing so I removed it and returned it. I have since learned that there may be someone making a a mid-range thumb safety that allows folks with smaller hands to use the ride the safety grip and still shoot with the left hand and not constantly engage the safety.

My question is: Does anyone know of such a safety for the 1911?

zdog

I have smaller hands as well. I feel your frustration. In the beginning, I also looked for a low-medium height thumb safety. I tried numerous brands and found that the lower ones felt more comfortable, but allowed the gun to pivot too much. In the end I am using an Ed Brown wide. It took me awhile to get comfortable with it and allowed me to position my hand higher on the gun. Learn to use the traditional height thumb safety. It will help you in more ways than you realize.

Try SV extra wide, it help you get up there and have more of your finger on the safety. I had the same problem and that's what I use now. Someone should really make a mid hight safety with a wide paddle for us small handers.

Practice a high thumbs grip. Keeping your hand below the safety is never going to work in the long run.

My hands are kinda small as well, but I still find a long trigger more comfortable in a 1911, although I use a short in my 2011. I'm a pretty small guy so it's hard to believe that thin grips and a short trigger wouldn't be enough for most adults.

Try SV extra wide, it help you get up there and have more of your finger on the safety. I had the same problem and that's what I use now. Someone should really make a mid hight safety with a wide paddle for us small handers.

That sounds like the safety on the Les Baer p2 that I sold because of the thumb safety. It was so bad that I was often not getting the grip safety depressed.

Thanks for the thought,

zdog

Practice a high thumbs grip. Keeping your hand below the safety is never going to work in the long run.

My hands are kinda small as well, but I still find a long trigger more comfortable in a 1911, although I use a short in my 2011. I'm a pretty small guy so it's hard to believe that thin grips and a short trigger wouldn't be enough for most adults.

I have been using the high thumbs grip for about 5 years and now I want a safety that fits.

Thanks for the thought,

zdog

I have smaller hands as well. I feel your frustration. In the beginning, I also looked for a low-medium height thumb safety. I tried numerous brands and found that the lower ones felt more comfortable, but allowed the gun to pivot too much. In the end I am using an Ed Brown wide. It took me awhile to get comfortable with it and allowed me to position my hand higher on the gun. Learn to use the traditional height thumb safety. It will help you in more ways than you realize.

Someone has to or needs to make a medium rise thumb safety for the 1911. I heard of a guy that cut the front half of the Gunsite safety off so he wouldn't inadvertently engage it when shooting weak hand. I really liked the gunsite lowride safety till the weak hand thing came up. I guess I need to find a welder and have him make one for me.

Thanks for the thought

zdog

Wilson's BP Low Lever looks to be slightly higher than the Gunsite safety, also at a slightly different angle.

Not sure if it'd work for you though.

Thanks, I will take a look at that.

zdog

EGW has made one in a very limited quantity in the past. If enough of you contact George and he sees there is a large interest in it, then he might make another run, or even offer it full time. If it is a limited run, expect to pay a premium for it.

A good friend of mine had a run of billet thumb safeties made with the pad dropped down .080" or so.

Ive fitted one for a fellow with similar issues as yours. I have a pic of it on my phone; Ill get it up here today sometime.

Its not a cheap part; I remember that.

If your shooting a Colt there a good chance that going to another type of grip safety will allow a higher grip on the pistol so that the standard thumb safety will feel correct. I like the feel of STI's grip safety but one from Wilson may work. SA's is a bit bulky and may not work with smaller hands. This will require some fitting.

I've seen several people with small hands that like the feel of an arched mainspring housing also.

Might try the feel of the grip on some other club members pistols before selecting a new one.

I've quit using large safety paddles. The safety I just fitted to my limited gun resembles the old Colt Gold Cups, except mine is not an ambi. It's about as wide as an EB tactical, but does not extend forward any. I just need to be able to disengage it, which I can do no matter how small it is. My weak hand can click "on" about any size extended paddle, at the worst times. I shoot thumb-on-thumb but my weak hand is so high that the safety is burried under my hand (strong thumb rides on weak hand since the weak hand is covering safety). By going smaller instead of larger, my hand position is irrelevant now. Since my thumb is not on the lever trying to push down, one less pressure point to add inconsistencies (...re: Enos' book).

If you can find one, a King's safety might work. If that is who makes what I'm thinking about. I have one right in front of me but it came off a gun so I don't know exactly who made it. It comes with a dovetailed hammer pin that retains the right side ambi paddle. The levers are 1/8" or less below the top of the safety panel (main body).

I'll see if I can find the mfg. Otherwise, for now I'd try an EB tactical, single side and cut the extended part of the lever off. You can also make the safety engage with a much more pronounced CLICK. I do that on mine as well. I actually put the safety "on" with my left hand thumb. Otherwise it wears out the to of my strong thumb. It's pretty stiff, but goes "off" very easy.

ETA: Yes. Google image "Kings Ambi Safety". You'll see the low paddle and special hammer pin.

Edited by want2race

I have very small hands, so much that I have to use the STI short trigger on my 2011.

I installed a Les Bear wide ambi safety last week and I love it. Very wide paddle and almost half the cost of the SV unit.

It works for my small hands, but did require quite a bit of fitting beyond the fitting needed internally for the sear.

I've quit using large safety paddles. The safety I just fitted to my limited gun resembles the old Colt Gold Cups, except mine is not an ambi. It's about as wide as an EB tactical, but does not extend forward any. I just need to be able to disengage it, which I can do no matter how small it is. My weak hand can click "on" about any size extended paddle, at the worst times. I shoot thumb-on-thumb but my weak hand is so high that the safety is burried under my hand (strong thumb rides on weak hand since the weak hand is covering safety). By going smaller instead of larger, my hand position is irrelevant now. Since my thumb is not on the lever trying to push down, one less pressure point to add inconsistencies (...re: Enos' book).

If you can find one, a King's safety might work. If that is who makes what I'm thinking about. I have one right in front of me but it came off a gun so I don't know exactly who made it. It comes with a dovetailed hammer pin that retains the right side ambi paddle. The levers are 1/8" or less below the top of the safety panel (main body).

I'll see if I can find the mfg. Otherwise, for now I'd try an EB tactical, single side and cut the extended part of the lever off. You can also make the safety engage with a much more pronounced CLICK. I do that on mine as well. I actually put the safety "on" with my left hand thumb. Otherwise it wears out the to of my strong thumb. It's pretty stiff, but goes "off" very easy.

ETA: Yes. Google image "Kings Ambi Safety". You'll see the low paddle and special hammer pin.

Thanks, Your post deserves some thought.

zdog

If your shooting a Colt there a good chance that going to another type of grip safety will allow a higher grip on the pistol so that the standard thumb safety will feel correct. I like the feel of STI's grip safety but one from Wilson may work. SA's is a bit bulky and may not work with smaller hands. This will require some fitting.

I've seen several people with small hands that like the feel of an arched mainspring housing also.

Might try the feel of the grip on some other club members pistols before selecting a new one.

I tried the arched main spring housing and it did not make a noticeable difference. I do intend to add an Ed Brown memory grip safety. I understand that also helps.

zdog

A good friend of mine had a run of billet thumb safeties made with the pad dropped down .080" or so.

Ive fitted one for a fellow with similar issues as yours. I have a pic of it on my phone; Ill get it up here today sometime.

Its not a cheap part; I remember that.

Thanks

zdog

I have the same problem you have and have to have a special TS fabricated with the lever is removed. The new section that is attached comes back more so that I can reach it with my thumb. Sort of the reverse of the Swenson and etc. I have been using these for years. Only problem is that sometimes I don't hit the GS even one that has the MB.

FWIW

Richard

PS: The original was made by Wayne Novak but the GS I use now fabricates them for me.

I have the same problem you have and have to have a special TS fabricated with the lever is removed. The new section that is attached comes back more so that I can reach it with my thumb. Sort of the reverse of the Swenson and etc. I have been using these for years. Only problem is that sometimes I don't hit the GS even one that has the MB.

FWIW

Richard

PS: The original was made by Wayne Novak but the GS I use now fabricates them for me.

Thanks Richard. You don't happen to have an extra one laying around do you? :)

zdog

Wilson's BP Low Lever looks to be slightly higher than the Gunsite safety, also at a slightly different angle.

Not sure if it'd work for you though.

I talked to Wilson about their low thumb safety and the response was that is was about the same as the Gunsite model.

zdog

Ooops....I see that this is a second response Sorry

For me that makes an awkward grip which makes it even harder to get the grip safety depressed. Still no luck on finding a mid height thumb safety yet.

Thanks

zdog

Edited by zdog