Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load suggestion please!!

I have a ton of 200 gr LSWC bullets and am looking for the softest shooting load that will make major. I am currently loading these with 6.0 grains of Universal Clays with an oal of 1.225 (from hodgdon book). they run fine but they are a bit "angry" and have a lot of flip. i am due to buy more powder, so wanted some advice BEFORE i buy. thanks a million guys.

It's not that "soft," but our "old faithful" load is 5.8gr of ww231 under a 200gr LSWC. That made major (in the old days) and would be a bit peppy by today's standard, but since WW231 is so temperature sensitive, you have plenty of room if you encounter Chronoman on a cold day.

It's a good defensive and pin load too.

Guest Larry Cazes

Calling 200 grain loads with Uclays Angry is an understatement! :D I have 6lbs of Uclays sitting in my cabinet that I havent found a good use for yet. Try Winchester WST. It is cheap, burns very clean, meters well, and is generally soft shooting.

I have shot W231 for years in the 45. There are other powders for it? Anyway, 5.4 of 231 w/ 200gr LSWC makes major in my Springfield, feels good to me. Hope this helps. TXAG

231 and lead bullets = smoke screen

We call people who shoot this combo engineers, because it looks like the are driving a freaking choo choo train :) Do not even attempt shooting this load indoors.

I have shot W231 for years in the 45.  There are other powders for it?  Anyway, 5.4 of 231 w/ 200gr LSWC makes major in my Springfield, feels good to me.  Hope this helps.  TXAG

231 and lead bullets = smoke screen

We call people who shoot this combo engineers, because it looks like the are driving a freaking choo choo train :) Do not even attempt shooting this load indoors.

I tried some lead swc with N320, a horribly clean powder. I had some RO's bitch about the smoke but I never really saw it UNTIL on stage where we had to shoot at 4 targets from under a table. Directly in front of the table were 2 of those wonderful blue barrels blocking most of the vision of 2 metric targets and 2 6" plates about 15-20 yds downrange. It was a hot still day. First shot filled that space under the table with smoke and the rest of the shooting was more or less in the fog. That was the last match I used lead! Went back to a plated round, added a couple of 0.1 gr to the load and never looked back.

Good shooting,

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...