Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuning Mag Follower For Dawson Base Pad

lucky #7

Does anyone have a picture of a Glock follower that is properly tuned for a Dawson base pad? I have watched the Dawson instructional video, and followed the procedure to radius the rear of the follower. However, they still catch on the base pad so I only get 17 or 18 in the mag. Can anyone show me a high res photo of a properly tuned follower, or provide me with a more descriptive explanation of how much radius to apply to the rear of the follower?

Thanks in advance. Your help is greatly appreciated.

The answer to the question of how much radius is "more".

Also, when you load the mags, if you use a mag loaded and push a bit, it will more the follower where it is catching. Smooth that part out and try again until you get it.

I'll try to get a pic posted tomorrow if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Edited by waktasz

What follower are you using?

The #5 works the best when trying to max out the capacity. With the Dawson pads, Wolf mag springs, and the #5 follower will give you 19rds w/ 18rds reloadable with little or no tuning needed.

I am using what I believe are number 8 and number 9 followers. Although, they may be 8's and 6's. There isn't a line under the number so I can't tell if it is a 9 or a 6.

Edited by lucky #7

#1 follower is 20 easy, #5 is 19 easy, #6 is 20 stiff, #8 is 19 easy. I can get 20 into the #5 and #8 but it is to stiff to reliably seat for a mag change. My mags are all marked so I decide which mag to use at the start of each COF but I usually try to use the #1 mag for barney mag 21 round starts, the #6 for normal starts, and the #5 and #8 mags for middle of the COF reloads.

I bought one of the Arredondo followers after attacking my stock followers and not having much luck. I was getting 18 reloadable, 19 to start (in 40), but changing to the new follower gets me 1 mag that gives me 20 to start (21 if I use a barney round).

Thanks for everyone's comments. I viewed the Dawson video in HD. I was able to zoom in pretty tight on the follower he was working on, and saw that he took off a lot more meat than I did. A lot more. I think I have a better idea of how much material to remove now. I'm certain that once I remove that much of the rear flange on the follower it will slide past the inside edge of the base pad without any interference.

Edited by lucky #7

• 3 months later...

I bought two of the dawson basepads and the first mag I did all of the sanding and beveling and what not on the follower and it didn't really help, dug out the mag loader and just crushed the rounds in untill it got past whatever is was hanging up on after that it worked finen (ended up just crushing it in because i had sanded that follower so much I was beginning to worry i wouldn't have any follower left). Did the same with the second mag and follower without the sanding, loaded and unloaded the mags a couple of times and it hasn't been an issue. Mags will fit 23 rounds of 9 mm in them although the 23rd is a mother to get in, will load the gun up with 23+1 but the rest of the hi cap mags only get 22 otherwise it you have to slam the mag with a round already in the chamber.

On my #8s I had to take off quite a bit of material. So much material I became a little nervous and decide to call DP myself. I talked with Daniel and I told him I was afraid of sanding away too much material and he told me to keep sanding until you get the desired amount. So after sanding most of it away, I am now able to load 20+1 of .40 in my G35. It looks nothing like follower in the video but works perfectly fine.